soft limp??

disapponited girlfriend?

...but seriously.... depends if your car is mapped as to how obvious it is but if you have a boost gauge then soft limp will show around 0.5bar as its working on actuator pressure and the car will feel slow...

<tuffty/>

my boost gauge only shows just under 0.5 bar.. always has.. not been mapped tho? what could be causing this? if it is a problem that is?

S3 or A3?...

Sounds like you have a problem... Getting it scanned for fault codes is the first thing you need to do tbh...

<tuffty/>

a3 1.8T. Boost gauge only shows me 0.5 bar, about 7.5 PSI i think... gonna shoot off to the garage in a moment i think...

this was the only error when i had it on vagcom last month..

Address 01: Engine
Controller: 06A 906 018 AQ
Component: 1.8L R4/5VT MOTR HS D03
Coding: 04000
Shop #: WSC 06313
2 Faults Found:
18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30: Voltage too Low
P1602 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16500 - Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor (G62): Implausible Signal
P0116 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

Last edited:
humm... 0.5bar is normally actuator pressure as a normal A3 should be around 0.7-0.8bar

Temp sensor shouldn't cause limp mode tbh but if the ECU thinks the engine hasn't warmed up yet it could be holding back boost until it does... does your temp gauge show 90degrees at all when warm?

<tuffty/>

yea the temp gauge will sit at 90 after it gets warm no problem at all. still only shows me 0.5 bar :( just been and checked. the only think i am thinking is the DV. i have a Baileys DV30 fitted.. but it was showing me 0.5 bar before i fitted that...so it shouldn't be an issue...

Checks hoses... maybe you have a boost or vacuum leak... vac leak would be my first choice... I had this when I had my car on the dyno shortly after finishing my BT conversion... the fuel pressure regulator pipe had split and this was where the boost gauge was tee'd from... the leak meant the boost gauge was under reading..

<tuffty/>

I dont know where to look for that... i'll see if i can see any obvious leaks.. i'll get a couple of pictures of my setup so maybe you can take a peek?

Basically check all the pipes coming off the inlet manifold, follow them around checking for splits etc... Also check the pipes coming off the turbo charge pipe... the ones going to the DV and the ones going to the N75...

Basically its a case of looking at all the pipes to see if they are still connected and are not split or damaged...

<tuffty/>

there is a pipe not connected.... :S fooook, duno where it goes... i'll get pictures..

ok pipe was meant to be disconnected because it was for the old DV. I put my standard air box back in and the car feels sooo much quicker but im still only getting 0.5 bar :/ VAGCOM this evening might turn up some clues i guess but im sure none of the hoses are split. Could it be that the ECU needs to be reset to clear an old soft limp error?

ermmm... no such thing as a pipe that is meant to be disconnected.... A proper DV need a vacuum pipe, if yours is 'disconnected' then its prob leaking from that...

<tuffty/>

no its from where i disconnected the old DV to block it off so the new 1 can work. its disconnected properly. Im now getting 7.25 PSI which should be about right for the 20v Turbo 1.8 a3 AGU engine.

hummm... not sure I follow you... the DV30 is a recirc valve is it not? it should use the same connections as the previous DV.... there shouldn't be anything blocked off or disconnected...

Are you sure its fitted correctly? 1.8t's are sensitive to dodgy pipes and even dodgier DV's...

7.25 psi is still actuator pressure so I would say you still have an issue somewhere

Got a photo of you engine bay with covers off?

<tuffty/>