head gasket blown

will_maddox

Reaction score
dont know where i stand atm. what sort of prices we taking to sort it, cuz i was thinking 1.8t engine swap from my 1.6 :(

Headgasket much cheaper option! as a guess £250 at a local garage! but if you really want the 1.8 T? prob gonna be cheaper to trade you 1.6 in for a 18T!
You would need gearbox, driveshafts, suspension, brakes just to mention a few! good luck with whatever you decide on.:icon_thumright:

Aye, AFAIK more or less everything is different on the 1.6 when compared with a 1.8 (regardless of turbo or not).

I've had an 8L 1.6 and my good lady has hers (only just back on the road after suffering the effects of chocolate rivets in the gearbox) - and they're a fair enough little motor, but very different from the rest. As above, loads of the suspension/running gear is different - hubs and most of the braking gubbins differ (the caliper carriers are integrated on the 1.6 as I found out when a joey garage mangled the thread for one of my caliper bolts with a windy gun - thank God for Helicoil!), gearbox/drivetrain too of course. It's a fair shout above that it'd be cheaper to just get a 1.8T 'from-the-factory' model. To be honest, with the prices they're going for these days you could probably hang on to the 1.6 for sentimental reasons, buy a 1.8T and still be up on the deal when compared to retrofitting the engine.

Good luck getting your head gasket sorted! Let us know how you get on...

Regards,

Rob.

yeah cheers guys, it was a really nice runner before this happened, really considering a 1.8t just down to money really if i can get all the bits and bobs i need for relatively cheap il go ahead
cheers guys :zen:

Have also a look at this thread:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?91038-Audi-S3-Cracked-Head-Help-Needed!!

I'm ordering mine next week, it's a brand new complete head with new valves and other bits, the only things not_new are camshafts which brings the price down to £490. I suppose you will get a bare head for half the price assuming that it's the head that's damaged and all the bits and bobs are fine. Best of luck.