Advice please

polsonm87

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got my 2002 S3 home on friday, delighted with the car needing to tidy up a few bits first but then am looking into tuning it to stage 2.

I know so far that i need a cat back exhaust, air filter (does this have to be a induction kit or just a panel filter?) do i need anything else? I have heard about valve bypasses but don't have a clue what they are or what the do?

Any help would be appreciated, also Star Performance are probably the closest tuner to me just wondering if any one has dealt with them?

Cheers

Last edited:
for stage two remap you would need:
3" downpipe
some sort of cat back exhaust system (miltek seems popular choice)
fmic
drop in filter will suffice
depending on your engine code a silicone tip wouldnt go a miss

to make the most of it i would get a ko4 turbo too, ko3 turbo wouldnt make full use of the maps potential as it would run out of puff to early and would be stretched to its limit reducing its life span

not heard of start performance before but im sure someone on here has, use the search function to search for decent remaps, theres a million threads on here about it

Cheers, was meant to be star not start!

Does the S3 not have the KO4 turbo already? What kind of power am ooking at with all that fitted 260-270bhp?

yes S3 is KO4 as standard.
270 ish is what everyone on here seems to be saying for a stage 2.

doesnt sound much more than a stage 1 but the boys who have had it done said the difference between stage 1 and 2 is like the difference between standard and stage 1.

Yea i thought the S3 had the KO4, so am aining for 270bhp with a stage 2 setup!

Hopefully get all the bolt-ons on in the next couple of months and then get it re-mapped in the summer.

So far am planning:
Milltek non-resonated cat back exhaust
3" Downpipe
MilltekSports cat
Panel filter (suggestions?)
Samco Hoses
Forge TIP
Dump valve (Suggestion? not wanting a chav sounding one)

Possibly a Forge FMIC later in the year.

Will it be ok to put all these bolt-ons on the car without having it remapped?

Thanks again.

Dump valves don't work with the VAG engines bud, needs to be a recirc valve. From what I've read sports cats are very expensive and no better than standard.

sports cats may not be any less restricitive but the downpipe is and as far as I am aware noone makes a 3" downpipe that will bolt onto the standard cat.

You dont need all that the gubbins mentioned above for stage 2.

Stage 2 seems to differ from tuner to tuner. AMD's stage 2 is Miltek catback and remap. Jabba's is custom to whatever additonal upgrades you have on the car from standard.

awesome gti are doing forge 007p DVs for 72.50 posted. This seems to be what everybody are using. Easily servicable, good bit of kit. I cant only hear mine from inside, cant hear it outside.

I would say dont bother with different TIP, seems to be a massive myth about standard ones collapsing.

N249 bypass wont give you any power gains, just stops the chance of ecu from dumping boost midrange. Fairly simply task so worth doing