PLEASE READ - SECURITY ISSUE

A3Tom

Smell my finger.
Reaction score
All,

Thought I should give you all the heads up about an issue I was made aware of at work last week...

There would seem to be a way to get into any Mk4 Golf and 8L A3/S3 without causing ANY damage. We've had a huge problem in one area where by vehicles are being accessed without any damage being caused. People only realise when they realise property has been taken out of them. Someone has been going around helping themselves to stereo's, sat navs, i-pods etc from people cars, when the owner looks the car is undamaged after the car was parked locked and secure.

Its reached a point where the team dealing with it have approached VAG to discuss it with them.

All I'd say at the moment is exercise a bit of common sense and dont leave anything on display. Keep your glove boxes locked and keep anything of value out of the car....and watch where you leave it.

Just a bit of advice for you all.

T

thanks for the heads up there mate

i know you cant post details of how they are doing this on a public forum, but is there anything we, as owners, can do to help prevent them from gaining access in this way, other than hiding stuff out of sight? a possible cure for the poor design?

Not that we know of at the moment mate, we're on to VAG to run it by them to bottom it out.

**** me, hows it possible! Surely when they found out how VAG has to do a recall to rectify the problem, its shocking that they can break in like this.

I work in Coventry so most of you will be alright but its a bit of an issue for sure.

There is a theory behind how they're doing it but I wont be posting it on here for any perspective ********* to go out and try ;) Same goes for anyone elses opinion on it, if you 'know' something then PM me rather than giving the heads up to any tea-leaves that are reading :)

T

Mark,

Im guessing its anything that uses the same platform then :(

T

seems to be Mk4 Golfs,Seats 8L chassis and B5 chassis era cars inc the VW varients as they all use pretty much the same technology. If these people spent more time doing useful stuff than breaking algorythms etc they would be rich

This can't be recent can it? People have been doing this to the mk4 platform cars for years, I'm pretty sure I read about this previously, but not 100% sure on how long ago it was. As Tom mentioned, don't leave anything on show or inside the car even.