S3 Front Wiper Arms - Removal

Alex C

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi

I am trying to fit some new wiper arms that are compatible with the aero type blades. I am really struggling to remove the arm from the spindle. Does anyone have any experience of this and any advice.

I've been at it for a while and it wont budge, I've tried WD-40 and tapping the spindle with a hammer to try and shock it loose but to no avail.

Alex

Mine came off by lifting the arm, then wiggling side to side.
However, i have had to use a puller for customers in the past.

Wont work, mine were that stuck i had to buy a wiper arm removal tool that pulled the wiper off?

Mine were stuck. Spray some Wobbly ****, lever the arm up and then hit the bolt with a hammer, hit it with the nut still on though so you dont feck the thread.

Mine were stuck. Spray some Wobbly ****, lever the arm up and then hit the bolt with a hammer, hit it with the nut still on though so you dont feck the thread.

...that would be a soft faced hammer of course :)

<tuffty/>

I got mine off with a pair of water pump pliers - put the nut on the thread to avoid trashing that, and a thin bit of wood or card under the wiper arm. Some careful application of pressure around the arm and it came off.

12_inch_water_pump_pliers.jpg

Don't forget to put some copper grease on the spindles when you put them back on - just in case you ever need to take them off again!

You need to break the seal, mine gave an almightly crack when I eventually freed it, so the hammer technique does work. The other problem is keeping the pressure even so the arm doesn't skew as this just jams it on even more. This little tool is invaluable:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...creen-wiper-arm-remover/path/automotive-tools

Even with this I had to use a pry bar to induce some extra persuasion.

cheers Jojo

Im stilll struggling, i'll just run out and give that a go

I find the spanner works, i also push down on the Arm, where the little hinge is. as you push down it takes load off from the wiper pressing down on the window. not very good at explaning but thats what i found works.

Wow, your a legend Jojo. Job done; old arms off, new ones on! Anger on its own wasn't enough but anger teamed with leverage just ripped it off with ease (not literally). Thanks Jojo

No worries mate, you sometimes have to comprimise with the tools you have in hand, I just came up with this when I was in the same situation as yourself.