New Turbo

StevoS3

Reaction score
Hey all, Interested in getting a new turbo soon. Not really sure what i'm after so looking for some experienced info.

Basically looking for some thing good and reliable and some thing that does not need other upgrades to a degree. I want to keep the S3 as reliable as possible for now untill I get back on my feet and get some work back.

Getting my exhaust done next week and hopefully an FMIC, was going to get the car mapped again but think ill lay off till the exhaust and fmic and hopefully the turbo is done.

Any help would be great guys, cheers.

Hybrid? K04 externals with some other internals.

Therefore no need to modify/change the downpipe or manifold (might be indea anyway to make th most of the new turbo)

PS. I'm making the assumption that there is an off the shelf K04 hybrid solution available...

nah nothing waiting around for me yet, I dont have a clue where to start and i want to try and keep costs down. I just thought if im gonna get a new turbo at some point soon anyway I might aswell see if I could get something a little better. Mabey not as big a step as the KO4 hybrid, I dont a clue! lol want to keep the costs down and would quite like the car to stay rather reliable and I'm not looking for a great power gain but would like to mabey see a good comfortable 300bhp at some point.

As I say I dont know much about what I want so a few choices or advice in what to go for would be great!

Yer a k04 hybrid will get you to just under 300bhp, but you may want to get a brake upgrade. I think to get one off the shelf is around £800 or you can send in your one and get that done for around £700. Ive heard something about better internals too as of the way the torque is dilvered? but not sure. But a hybrid needs a stage 3 remap, which will costs around £700, so your looking at around £1500 to get 30 hp more, but quite a bit more torque.

so its an expensive upgrade in the long run considering I'd need some forged internals!

Im absolutly gutted because I had the opertunity to get uprated con rods, pistons ect! Went for a CC stage one map and it bent the s*** out a con rod and ate a piston and I had to fork out a damn fortune! the uprated stuff was cheaper than the oem components from audi! saved myself a bit of money by getting a second hand conrod and piston from backdraft.com :)

I think the turbo upgrade will have to wait a while as the price of the labour to do the work will probably cost the same as all the stuff thats getting fitted lol

were BDM not doing a hybrid for <£400 exchange?

...I dont have a clue where to start and i want to try and keep costs down. I just thought if im gonna get a new turbo at some point soon anyway I might aswell see if I could get something a little better. Mabey not as big a step as the KO4 hybrid, I dont a clue! lol want to keep the costs down and would quite like the car to stay rather reliable and I'm not looking for a great power gain but would like to mabey see a good comfortable 300bhp at some point...

K04 hybrid or std won't give you a comfortable 300bhp... at 260bhp its pretty much flat out... you would be better off saving for a BT upgrade...

GT28rs may be a solution but the turbo's aren't great...

There just doesn't seem to be a reliable or easy way to bridge the gap between stage 1 remap power of 260bhp and a GT2860r.... if you want any more power with reliability then BT is the way forward...

Can be done without a huge spend too (see my build thread) but internals (rods and valves at least) need to be done... pistons and cranks in S3's are forged..

so its an expensive upgrade in the long run considering I'd need some forged internals!

Im absolutly gutted because I had the opertunity to get uprated con rods, pistons ect! Went for a CC stage one map and it bent the s*** out a con rod and ate a piston and I had to fork out a damn fortune! the uprated stuff was cheaper than the oem components from audi! saved myself a bit of money by getting a second hand conrod and piston from backdraft.com :)

I think the turbo upgrade will have to wait a while as the price of the labour to do the work will probably cost the same as all the stuff thats getting fitted lol

Fact of life sadly, this kinda work takes quite a bit of effort and fabrication as BT is not readily available off the shelf...

<tuffty/>

Hey all, Interested in getting a new turbo soon. Not really sure what i'm after so looking for some experienced info.

Basically looking for some thing good and reliable and some thing that does not need other upgrades to a degree. I want to keep the S3 as reliable as possible for now untill I get back on my feet and get some work back.

Getting my exhaust done next week and hopefully an FMIC, was going to get the car mapped again but think ill lay off till the exhaust and fmic and hopefully the turbo is done.

Any help would be great guys, cheers.

budget for your goal is what?

Thanks tuffty that was the sort of answer I was looking for :)

I honestly dont have a clue Badger... I dont want to turn my S3 into a road munching, fuel eating tank that I need to fix all the time so wanna try and be sensible.

Also I meant to thank u in my recent post Badger for the BackDraft site, The guys there couldnt have been more helpful or any nicer.

Thanks tuffty that was the sort of answer I was looking for :)

I honestly dont have a clue Badger... I dont want to turn my S3 into a road munching, fuel eating tank that I need to fix all the time so wanna try and be sensible.

Also I meant to thank u in my recent post Badger for the BackDraft site, The guys there couldnt have been more helpful or any nicer.

Going BT doesn't mean your car will turn into a popping, farting hotrod.... I use mine everyday to travel to and from work with a mix of backroads and town driving... I average 24mpg and its a drivable as the original car ever was...

<tuffty/>

Going BT doesn't mean your car will turn into a popping, farting hotrod.... I use mine everyday to travel to and from work with a mix of backroads and town driving... I average 24mpg and its a drivable as the original car ever was..

Are you running the BT conversion tuffty?

How much has it cost you to set up and whats you'r gains? also have you any problems?

were BDM not doing a hybrid for <£400 exchange?

i got a quote from backdraft to get the turbo that cheap they have to fit the quote for that was nearly £500+vat
then they said i have to have a down pipe and stage 2 map, would have cost to much after all that for not very much gain.
so i think im just going to go down the bt route especially after i couldn't pull away from a 2.8 b5 a4 quattro yesterday lol

What about the twin scroll turbo's? whats the deal with those bad boys?