short shifters ?

karlharcourt

god i want more !
Reaction score
hi all
im looking at getting a quick shift / short shifter for the s3 , ive done abit of a search and cant find alot .
ive been looking at dieselgeeks and forge but have read something about the tt oem part doing same job .
has anyone got any experience of any of the above and are they worth having ?

I've got the diesel geek one, definately reccomend getting one!

i raised a thread agaes ago about the TT item but didnt get much joy.

I rang APS about the tt item and they said it's the same at the s3 one?! Not sure what to believe anymore...

i drove a TT sport for about a week & i m sure there was less throw between shift

i fitted one to mine a couple weeks back. throws reduced but it deffinitely doesnt feel as smooth putting it into gear, which is something id never heard anyone mention before

I've had the dieselgeek installed and its a significant improvement over the OEM S3, however I cant offer any comparision to the TT.

It is a bit more clunky through the gate, but I actually like the feel of this.

I'm sure I read on a recent thread that Forge are offering ASN members a 10% discount on orders via the web.

Has anyone got a Forge one fitted?

I asked a few months back about this and dont think i got 1 reply lol
Seen a write up in redline magazine where they used a TT, done a test using the standard shifter then the short shifter, saying on average 0.2 sec where saved between shifts which could be useful on a drag strip or track. Was looking to buy 1 soon but wanted to know what its like to live with on the day-to-day drive

So does anyone know if the TT shifter is shorter than the oem on LOL?????????????????????????? ANYONE???? Seems a mission doesn't it... May even compare the part numbers!!!!!!!

Reading the forge installation guide on that links and apart from installing the metal shifter it looks like you also have to mess about with the actual gearstick mechanism in the cabin by lifting the gater up and filddling about?! Can anyone confirm you have to do that with S3 fitament?

Last edited:
So does anyone know if the TT shifter is shorter than the oem on LOL?????????????????????????? ANYONE???? Seems a mission doesn't it... May even compare the part numbers!!!!!!!

LOL, do it, I want to know as well....

Got to be easier than the way we did it for my MG - Sierra Sapphire Type-9 'box, gearstick mounted 2 inches further back (no longer have to change radio stations with my knuckles when going in to 3rd!) and chopped the stick down to a wee stump...
Works brilliantly, really nice clunky changes.

I'm seriously considering the short-shift for the S3.
Are you guys talking about the forward/backward movement or the side/side movement?
I guess it's forward/backward action that makes the biggest difference? Is it possible to fit both short-shift kits?

I bought one from THS performance about 3-4 months ago and it is defiantly the best mod I have done up to now. it makes a huge difference in shifting.. installed it my self and its pretty straight forward..and i think its almost half the price of the forge ones...
http://www.thsperformance.co.uk/category/Quickshift,i.html

Cool so not experienced any crunching with it Steve? And did you have to mess about with the gearstick mechanism in the cabin at all or just under the bonnet? Lools good.. :)

Cool, how you getting on with it any crunching? And did you have to mess about with the gearstick mechanism in the cabin at all or just under the bonnet? Looks good.

no crunching as such but its clunkier, i didnt change anything inside the cabin but then maybe thats why it doesnt feel as smooth

Cool so not experienced any crunching with it Steve? And did you have to mess about with the gearstick mechanism in the cabin at all or just under the bonnet? Lools good.. :)

no not at all, my gear changes are very very smooth, it was a plug and play operation.. i did have to fiddle around abit with the cables but that was only because of my mistake.. apart from that i really enjoy changing gears now and im thinking of getting a side short shifter too...:icon_thumright:

i brought the forge one, i would have to say it was amazing. i say "it was" as ive now sold my car.... but i think its well worth the £60 (fitted) i paid for it.

so what we saying guys ? is it worth getting the diesel geeks one (does side to side aswell as forward/backward) at £130 approx or just go for the forge or ths versions at about half the price ?

im willing to go with forge/ths

possible group buy on the horizon, seems to be at least 3 or 4 of us interested here?

i brought the forge one, i would have to say it was amazing. i say "it was" as ive now sold my car.... but i think its well worth the £60 (fitted) i paid for it.

wow £60 fitted? where from that is a bargain!

yes group buy sounds good to me chaps for the forge one or ths

hi guys, want to keep this one alive

i emailed ths last night for details of a possible group buy discount and am awaiting their reply, if i dont hear anything by the weekend il give them a ring

I've managed to get my mits on a Forge one! Will let you know what I think once I get it..... Otherwise I would have joined you on the group buy....

Will do, won't have time to do it this weekend but next hopefully!

Yes very quite straight forward apparently, but the Forge comes with an extra locking pin that needs to be installed under the gear gaitor in the cabin. Not quite sure and what advantage this has over the THS and ebay ones that don't include this. I'll report back when I've installed it.

Yes please mate, that would be good.

Gear linkage is an easy enough job - had mine off recently.

isnt there two forge ones, one for forward shortening and one to shorten the width of the gaiter

ok guys , i went to the tt shop at the weekend and had a chat about a group buy for the forge shifters front to back and side to side . He said he could do us both for £110 including vat with FREE fitting (if we get about 10 of us) .
What do you guys think ?
If its any good ì will post it in the group buy section.

ok guys , i went to the tt shop at the weekend and had a chat about a group buy for the forge shifters front to back and side to side . He said he could do us both for £110 including vat with FREE fitting (if we get about 10 of us) .
What do you guys think ?
If its any good ì will post it in the group buy section.

Where is the tt shop?