The Cheap Mod Thread!

DaveA3

Audi A-Trizzle!
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've noticed alot of people are doing some small, cheap but fun mods to there cars. I thought it would be a good idea if we compiled them in here with all the details required so other can also dip in without searching through a million threads. So here it goes:

Black Grill (De-chroming):
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?89207-8L-S3-Black-Grill-De-chroming

Euro Wipers (thanks G60leigh):
The front arms/blades are from a Mk4 Golf
front arms:
W1J2 955 410 D
W1J2 955 409 D
front blades:
W1J2 955 425 B
W1J2 955 426 B
front wiper arm cap X2:
W1J0 955 205 A9 B9

The rear arm is from a Polo (9n)
The rear wiper is from a Touran
rear arm:
W6Q6 955 707 C
rear arm cap:
W6Q6 955 435 D
rear blade:
W7E0 955 425

LED Sidelights:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?90834-LED-Side-Lights

LED Number Plate Bulbs:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?90688-Led-Number-Plate-Bulb-s

Ambient Lighting:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=4...4e75f6e8ebb871

Audi TT Pedals:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthr...t=part+numbers

Please add anything else below :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
couldnt see one mate but ive added those to the list.

On another note, does anyone kno the part number for a cupra r splitter? ive heared theyre only £25 n fit well to the 8L

Beesting Aerial - About a fiver off eBay
Pressed Plates - Not got 'em but considering it

dont get pressed plates as you just get pulled!

Somehow the back end of all my S3's ive had get minging first.. may look cool but a bit daft INHO :(

Ditto, I dont know why people want to de-wiper the rear because just a small amount of water on the road just gets sprayed up the back end and you cant see anything out the rear window.

Beesting Aerial - About a fiver off eBay
Pressed Plates - Not got 'em but considering it
has any one tried the beesting as I had a cheap one and the radio reception was awful. tempted to try a more expensive one though.

Pressed plates. I have a set I had on my A4, I had been pulled by the police for other things (going slightly to fast?) and they were fine with the plates also just passed a MOT with them.
I made sure they were correct font and colouring

Last edited:
My beesting was a fiver off eBay, and the reception is usually no worse than the OEM aerial. Sometimes I go through areas that I can't get signal with either though and it doesn't seem to come back as quickly with the beesting but 99% of the time it's no different.

Also, g60leigh is right, so long as the pressed plates are the correct font and all that, they're completely legal. German ones look the dogs but £30 everytime you get pulled is a bit much for 'em!

Desilencing S3 charge pipe.

Total cost = Free.

Added benefits, more noise, some people say more go, and you get to beat the sh*t out of the baffle inside! :)

whats a good place to get pressed plates?

What is the charge pipe mate? part of the exhaust or something if it has baffles?

What is the charge pipe mate? part of the exhaust or something if it has baffles?

It's the metal hard pipe from the turbo out to the rest of the pressure system. Only the S3 one has a baffle though mate - one on an A3 runs along the back of the engine and down and is baffle free......

ah k cool thanks for that. ive heard of it before and didnt wanna look like a **** n ask lol

ah k cool thanks for that. ive heard of it before and didnt wanna look like a **** n ask lol

Meh, it's all good. The charge pipe comes down the left hand side of the S3's engine - and has a nice little 'don't touch' piccy on it (awwwwww)

Welly, is the baffle in the charge pipe restrictive? also how easy is it to remove? i may attempt this at the weekend after i do my grill again.
Cheers, Dave.

For A3 owner, use an S3 driver side wheel arch liner (vented), trim to fit. I got mine free from the breakers when getting an S3 Bumper, supposed to make a little difference by aiding cooling for the SMIC, not massively effective but a cheap mod...

Also, Sunglasses Holder from the Golf MKIV, remove grab handle above door and fit in place, costs about £20 and I managed to get one in cream to match my interior (available in dark grey too)! (I'll try and get hold of the part number when I get home tonight)

Seat LCR splitter, under £25 from the Seat dealer (don't pay anymore than that from Ebay!), little trimming required and about 10 self tapping screws and bobs your mothers brother.

Honda S2000 stubby aerial, not sure on price as I got mine from a member here for a bargain price of a fiver, much nicer looking than the 12" mast that's fitted as standard.

Agreed on the aerial chatter. Honda stubby one. Fitting mine this afternoon along with tt pedals.

A good clean is always a good mod. Amazed at the amount of crap mine has accumulated over 8 years!!

Tax disc holder! This is always a first when i buy a car. It looks so much better then that insurance stuck on crap lol! I've got a nice metal one in black with a grey S3 logo on the back.

Debadging is a good one too. Not that i'm going to take off my S3 badges but for the A3 owners it's cool!

Dont need a guide andrew.

Just take the charge pipe off, you'll see the baffles in the end of it, take a large screw driver and hammer and just bray the baffle out, it's that simple, it just takes some hammer removing it thats all.

i bought alloy dooor pins looks smarter than the standard plastic crappy ones. Also have a full alloy aerial which ties in nicely with the wing mirrors.

i bought alloy dooor pins looks smarter than the standard plastic crappy ones. Also have a full alloy aerial which ties in nicely with the wing mirrors.

You can get some with red led's in them which flash when the cars locked... Don't have any myself as I can't decide if they look to chav... I think they may do. (http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=13199) Not sure what feed you'd take it from...

Theres already LED's next to the door pin. One is enough (personally).

Oh didn't realise, I totally agree!

I remember my mate in his goft gti replaced his with bigger more powerfull led's that flashed even brighter than orignal ones in door card... May think about doing something like that... Would deter thieves even more maybe.

Last edited:
Also, Sunglasses Holder from the Golf MKIV, remove grab handle above door and fit in place, costs about £20 and I managed to get one in cream to match my interior (available in dark grey too)! (I'll try and get hold of the part number when I get home tonight).

Here we go, part number for grey sunglasses holder: 1J0 857 465 Y20
Beige sunglasses holder : 1J0 857 465 8YS

Pic doesn't do it justice, i'll see if I can get a better one tonight and upload the one fitted in my car to give you an idea.

Also, the holder accepts slimmer sunglasses but if you own a pair of 'Dame Edna Stylie rims', they wont fit in (not that I own a pair to know :noway: , just that my slim sunglasses just about fit in). Fitting is a case of removing the handle / screws and refitting the screws to the new sunglasses holder, job done.

Last edited:
Nice, because the little cubby hole under the steering wheel is not the best place to store them, cheers!

Fitted Aero front wipers. TT pedals and ambient light yesterday. all dead easy to do and all top notch mods.