2002 S3 airbox removal, how??

JD09

I'm not modding, I'm improving
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
OK so while trying to remove the top half of my airbox to check the paper filter last night, I was completely beaten by it!

I know it is purely because I don't know where all the screws/clips are and once I have done it, it will be second nature second time around. I also want to remove it fully from the MAF to use a spray engine cleaner (thanks MikeGTR!).

Can someone point me to a guide/type it up quickly?

Much appreciated!

James

Undo the two screws that si behined the aribox, they secure the top half to the top, then unclip the maf, unscrew the jubilee clip holding the tip on to the maf, pull the tip off the airbox and there you go, airbox lid off.

Ah great, thanks. It looked like the airbox was stuck from the front of the engine, thought there must have been clips that I was missing! Got the screws off, but just wouldn't budge!

It takes some working to get the tip out od the way etc, alos theres a 10mm bolt holding the base of the airbox down just past the screw on the right handside.

There's also a plastic hose thing you need to disconnect near the battery, you need to squeeze the plastic hard and pull, might need a few attempts to get it off if you've not done it before.

I also want to remove it fully from the MAF to use a spray engine cleaner (thanks MikeGTR!).

Did MikeGTR say you need to spray that stuff post MAF? not pre MAF. You might want to check

I will need to remove all of the airbox as I want to use a spray cleaner as well, so your advice was helpful fella.

Cheers.

yeah, though he did. So you need to remove the MAF from the TIP as well

OK. I may get a mechanic mate of mine just to stand by with it lol. Means he can control the throttle as I spray as well!

Dude its really not tricky :)

I'd undo the jubilee clip holding the MAF to the TIP
Unplug the MAF
Disconnect the plugs from the back of the airbox
Unclip the rubber hose from the bottom left of the airbox
Undo the 10mm bolt at the back right of the airbox (onto the suspension turret)
Undo the 10mm bolt from the front right of the airbox (opposite corner to the above one)
Lift the airbox out, sliding it to the left slightly due to the airfeed going into the wing.

Then its just a case of undoing the screws that hold the lid down. The lid almost has to open like a hinge, its a lot easier with the airbox off the car.

Unscrew the 2 phillips screws holding the MAF to the airbox and you're away!.

Thats how I would do it on my A3, cant see the S3 being that much different :)

T

and make sure nothing gets sucked into the TIP whilst your spraying that gunge in there :)