Help me with my tidying up of an S3 please?

martin g

[censored]
Reaction score
Hi all

My aim is to bring the S3 (2001 BAM)I have to a point where most of the age induced looseness and rattles have been addressed as I trying to bring a stock and VGC car to an even higher standard. Call it midlife restoration if you like. id like to list the few bits i want to sort initially and if any of you have any quick bursts of advice id be very grateful. I have done some reading so I wont trouble you with things ive sorted by searching of course.

1) Steering wheel doesnt sit level when wheels are correct ahead, about 5 degrees off to offside, whats the likely reason and fix.
2) On cold startup, for about 1 second, the car sounds like a diesel then settles straight to normal sounding idle, is this normal or starter motor wear?
3) Over bumps etc, although the firm suspension should bang a little I think some knocks arent natural, worn bushes perhaps? but which likely bushes
4) Any point in replacing engine mounts as a matter of course?

Cheeky I know but Ive a feeling your a supportive bunch so any tips will be really appreciated. cheers

1. Most likely needs aligning, but if doing something to resolve 3 then you'll probably need it doing after that so best to combine.
2. Normal.
3. Lots of answers, but it could be any or all of the suspension parts. It shouldn't really bang at all if stock and you're not driving through fields.
4. Just replacing my mounts (99 S3) as when I took them off to check they wobbled like jelly. Gearbox and dogbone are relatively easy to get at if you want to check.

Many Thanks Tom, really appreciate that

I guess I may be a little over sensitive with the noise from the suspension parts, we all know how bad the roads are at present after the ice and snow and what i hear\feel may well be quite normal for the firm suspension. I have just come from a lexus and all in which one doesnt even know there is a road underneath it for the most part.

Very impressed with the car overall, almost perfect history, I even have the receipt for the car purchase at new showing all the extras. The only thing I think could be better? sharper steering, I recently sold an alfa 159 and you cant even lean out to hit a steareo button without the car wandering off such is the steering precision, would be great on the S3.

For the steering sharpness I would recommend getting new ARBs - I have just upgraded mine to H&Rs and now steering is the best I could ask for.

I would be interested to know what people have gained, quotes/price wise, for four wheel alignment. Mine so far have come back in a range from £40 to £50 + £15 for every adjustment up to 8 adjustments.