40K AVS Service

• Thread starter imported_rashpal1
  • Start date
I

imported_rashpal1

Hi Guys,

Gave my s3 in for a 40k service today, and just got a call from the dealers..
Been told the cost if the service is £541.96, what a rip off.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

On top of that they say my anti-frezze only goes down to -15 degrees and that Audi spec says it should go to -27 degrees. They want an addtional £60 for that and also it is due for a brake fluid change which is another £75. Do i really need to get these two things done from them just to keep the service up to date as it is still under warrenty or can i do them myself, as i am more then capable of doing these. For a start when do we ever get -27 degrees temperature here so whats the point.

They also want the car back to change the follwing under warrenty at another date:

AM Radio Amp
Fuel Sender unit
Brake light Switch
Haldex Control Unit.

On top if which i also been told i need 4 new tyres.

What an expensive day today has turned out to be.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

A few drinkies are in order me thinks! If you can afford them!

Rich

Mine went last monday for the 40K treatment... £525 quid!

Had all the warranty work done also, anti-roll bar bushes, cv-joint, etc...

At least they washed it... Stealers...

I had mine done at Whitehouse Audi, they are in Harold Wood Essex..
I asked them how can they charge so much for a service.. The answer i got 'its alot of car thats why we charge that amount'.

I asked them to check the wheel alignment while it was in and they qouted me £250 to do wheel alignment.. What a joke ... Elite's in Rainham charge £60 for four wheel alignment.. Dealer prices are over inflated..

Pal_S3 and Wizard

It seems both of you were well and truly took to the cleaners...my 1.8TQ facelift had its 40k AVS as follows

Parts

02D 525 558 A - £20.43 - Haldex Filter
06A 115 561 B - £4.00 - Oil Filter
101 000 063 AA - £40.20 - 4 x Spark Plugs
1J0 129 620 - £10.26 - Air Filter
1J0 819 644 A - £13.00 - Pollen Filter
G05 216 4A2 A - £2.70 - 1 Litre bottle VW Screenwash!
G05 217 5A1 - £9.19 - Haldex Oil Cartridge
N01 384 9 - £0.26 - Sump Plug

Total £100.04 +VAT = £117.54

Whats missing is the charge for the oil itself, since i supplied the over 4 litres required (SLX II 503.00 - don't forget i'm a TQ not an S3!) myself. In fact, if you look in the handbook it says 3.5l (approx) for the oil, but links say it takes about 4.5 - 4.75litres to change!

Notice the big cost parts wise is the sparks and in particular the haldex filter.

Total service included another £228 pounds labour (inclusive of VAT)...links schedule for 2.7 hours labour time at £75 + VAT an hour . Officially it's 2.2 hours for AVS and 0.9 hours for Haldex change.

Total = 345.97

Add on the dealer cost of oil at 5litres at £12+VAT...you will still only just break the £400 pound mark. The difference is the dealers labour rate..cheapest where i live is £60 per hour + VAT at lancasters in manchester. Links in macc is £75 + VAT...but all us in the north west go there since we know THEY KNOW what customer service is all about...i would be interested to know the parts cost breakdown for you guys and exactly how much labour hours wise that they charged. The moral is shop around, and even if you have to travel it can make financial sense

Right here is a break down of what i paid for on my 40K service and how much i got charged..

Audi Variable Service (Labour) £219.73
Haldex oil & Filter change (Labour) £109.86

Labour Subtotal £329.59

Parts

02D525558A 43017620 OIL FILTER £24.00
06A115561B O FILTER £4.70
101000063AA SPARK PLUGS 8 4 £49.35
1J0123620 ELEMENT £14.10
1J0819644A FILTER ELEMENT £15.28
G052164A2 SCREEN WASH £2.44
G052175A1 H/D OIL £10.80
N90813201 SUMP PLUG £0.94
ZFSLX1 FORMULA SLX 1LTR * 6 £91.57
ZGB00Q096600 CLEAN 150ML £1.29

PARTS SUBTOTAL £212.37

TOTAL £541.96

Looking at my invoice now i got charged for 6 litres of oil, if the sump takes 3.75l and they put 1 litre in the boot as spare where the hell did the other litre get used. Shall be phoning them later to find out.

Pal

[ QUOTE ]
Robthehungrymonkey said:
Where can I buy the oil for my S3? Can't find it anywhere!
Seems to make sense to supply the oil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Halfords sell it! Either pick up Castrol SLX (Not SLX II) or Mobil 1 (0-40W)

I bought 5 litres of Mobil 1 last week for £45

Just had another look on the net for Castrol SLX and the Audi TT Owners Club sells SLX at at a discounted price.

They do

12 x 1 Castrol SLX for £78.26 plus p&p (Bulk Buy) Price per litre = £6.52
7 x 1 Castrol SLX for £47.42 plus p&p (Service Fill) Price per litre = £6.77

Worth buying it from there, all you have to do is become a member..

TT Owners Club

Pal

Pal_S3

Looking at you breakdown and doing the maths, it would seem that whitehouse charge at £85 + VAT per hour

2nd AVS = 2.2 hours
Haldex Oil and FIlter = 1.1 hours

Parts wise compared to my list they're spot on

your total (excluding oila and whatever the 150ml wash stuff is) = £121.61

My total for parts = £117.54

It would seem that they stung you for the Haldex...i was only charged 0.5 hours whereas yours was 1.1. At £85 + VAT...0.6 hours soon racks on the cost. 2.2 hours is spot on service though...all dealers in north west use 2.2.

I notice foolish3uk said the following a while back

"my dealer charges 2.3 hours for the 2nd avs service(rs6 service is 3.7 hours out of interest) haldex oil change only is 0.5lbr when being serviced and haldex oil and filter is 1.0lbr. "

To explain the oil...well my A3 handbook says APPROX 3.5litres....links in macclesfield advise 4.5 is actually required...if whitehouse also gave you a new top up bottle then that comes to 5.5, and dealers only sell by the whole litre!

However at 12.99 + VAT a LITRE the dealer is taking the proverbial...even at ordinary Halfords rates i paid 42.98 for 4 litres (including VAT!). The Moral is and still is shop around...buy your own SLX from now on and once the warranty has finished find an independent.

[ QUOTE ]
evotista said:
Pal_S3

Looking at you breakdown and doing the maths, it would seem that whitehouse charge at £85 + VAT per hour

2nd AVS = 2.2 hours
Haldex Oil and FIlter = 1.1 hours

Parts wise compared to my list they're spot on

your total (excluding oila and whatever the 150ml wash stuff is) = £121.61

My total for parts = £117.54

It would seem that they stung you for the Haldex...i was only charged 0.5 hours whereas yours was 1.1. At £85 + VAT...0.6 hours soon racks on the cost. 2.2 hours is spot on service though...all dealers in north west use 2.2.

I notice foolish3uk said the following a while back

"my dealer charges 2.3 hours for the 2nd avs service(rs6 service is 3.7 hours out of interest) haldex oil change only is 0.5lbr when being serviced and haldex oil and filter is 1.0lbr. "

To explain the oil...well my A3 handbook says APPROX 3.5litres....links in macclesfield advise 4.5 is actually required...if whitehouse also gave you a new top up bottle then that comes to 5.5, and dealers only sell by the whole litre!

However at 12.99 + VAT a LITRE the dealer is taking the proverbial...even at ordinary Halfords rates i paid 42.98 for 4 litres (including VAT!). The Moral is and still is shop around...buy your own SLX from now on and once the warranty has finished find an independent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that.. The only reason why i do give them the car is because it is still under warrenty. Soon as that is finish i'll do it myslef i always have done in the past or i will get someone else to do it. I have found a guy who is local to me and is a Audi Master Technician he has been working for them for 11years. He is now opening his own garage, and he charges half theprice what they do.

As for the oil the TT owner club seem to do it for a really good price.. Will get it from them in future.

Oil formTT Owner club

Pal

Mine's in for its 2nd AVS today! I bought all the parts myself so save quite a bit there!

I'm having the 2nd AVS, Brake fluid change and Haldex Service for approx £190! It pays to have connections!

I haven't heard anything yet from them so hopefully it is/has all gone ok? Its also having the MOT done at the same time so it should be like a new car when I get it back!

I was hoping to get a nice courtesy car from them but instead they gave me a A2 1.4TDI. Its not too bad but was hoping for something else but its certainly better than walking!

Rich.

I gave mine in last friday, when i got there they told me they did'nt have a car to give me.

In the end after demanding a car they gave me 54 plate A6 3.2 V6 Quattro. Fully loaded leather seats, tv, sat nav, built in phone, hands free etc..

Really nice car.. Prob why they charged more for the service too..

Did it feel any different when you had it back? As the plugs,brake fluid and haldex are changed I would expect it to make some difference?

[ QUOTE ]
Pal_S3_Turbo said:

On top of that they say my anti-frezze only goes down to -15 degrees and that Audi spec says it should go to -27 degrees. They want an addtional £60 for that and also it is due for a brake fluid change which is another £75. Do i really need to get these two things done from them just to keep the service up to date as it is still under warrenty or can i do them myself, as i am more then capable of doing these. For a start when do we ever get -27 degrees temperature here so whats the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the same thing at my near 30K (2 year) service the other week. Funny, it said it went to -15 as well. As it's not lost or used water I wonder why it no longer works to -27 as the would like? Like yourself, I wasn't convinced. It did get the brake fluid changed, but the Haldex was done at the last service. Total was just over £220 at Stirling Audi with me supplying Mobil 1.

[ QUOTE ]
DickyS3 said:
Did it feel any different when you had it back? As the plugs,brake fluid and haldex are changed I would expect it to make some difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

It certainly does feel different. Feels alot smoother through the rev range and more responsive when you floor it.. I personally think that chnageing the plugs after 40k is too long a time period, i would do them every 20k. Drives like a differnet car now, the must have been well worn before the change.

Brakes feel preety much the same, a little sharper not much though. Handling is still the same..

Pal

[ QUOTE ]
Mark R said:
[ QUOTE ]
Pal_S3_Turbo said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the same thing at my near 30K (2 year) service the other week. Funny, it said it went to -15 as well. As it's not lost or used water I wonder why it no longer works to -27 as the would like? Like yourself, I wasn't convinced. It did get the brake fluid changed, but the Haldex was done at the last service. Total was just over £220 at Stirling Audi with me supplying Mobil 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its all a money making thing at the end of the day, just another way to generate revenue. Thats not a bad price for the service though compared to what i paid. In future i will look around before giving it to the Whitehouse Group..

Pal

Well picked up the car yesterday, paid £210 for the service! I bought the parts myself (£110) so to carry out the service, £320!

Thats for

2nd AVS Service
Haldex Service
Brake fluid service

I'm happy!

The car does seem smoother (probably down to the new plugs) but need to call them today as some b**tard has put two small rips in my passenger leather seat! Not Happy!

Rich.