JMB RetrofitsMonster Motorsport
    Reverse Gear

Status

Unhappy LOW MPG on Audi A3 1.8T Sport 1998

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew why the MPg on my car is so shockingly bad at the moment?

I haven't been driving it hard at all and this week i've done 110 miles on over 23 worth of fuel. Using standard 95 unleaded and driving steadily (no heavy accelerating / braking). I put 40 of fuel in this morning and it has come up as 225 miles remaining on the display.

Any help woudl be appreciated as this coudl potentially cost me a fortune!

Is there any way of resetting the display to give a different reading?

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Smell my finger.

Status
    That sounds about the same as I get on mine mate.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

Alex

Status
    Thats sounds about right to me.
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

PS3: Broady_11

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Yep, same here. If you want better MPG go for super unleaded - you'll get a few extra. But you pay more so it's swings and roundabouts!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Reverse Gear

Status
    Fair enough... It's just a bit of a shock going from a knackered old van that seemes to run forever on 10! It's worth it for the car tho!

I'm not modding, I'm improving

Status
    If you have a trip computer, press the button on the underside of the stalk; this resets the counters and can give you an idea of you current and average MPG and your distance to empty. I reset after every petrol tank.

4th Gear

Status
    My best MPG has been 23.2 and thats driving under boost, and mainly between 1k to 2.5k. I hope it is something I can improve on.
    S3-8L REVO stage 2, Milltek, 3" DP & custom 3" decat, RS2 spark plugs, 4 bar FPR, Green-Cotton uprated upper/lower boost hose & TIP, Front Zimmerman & Ferrodo. LCR spliter. boost gauge, smoothed AB. Aero blades, H&R 5mm spacers. Best time 14.03sec, 0-62 in 5.7sec. 207gs @ 25psi , polished inlet mani. VAGCOM 805.1

Chugger

Status
    should be able to get more than 23 mpg on a run...

Smell my finger.

Status
    Around town mines high 20's, say about 28mpg with all the stopping and starting.

On a motorway run at 70ish its about 33-35mpg I reckon which isnt too bad.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

Drive it like you stole it

Status
    Mine's averaged 33.0MPG since I bought it a month and 1400 miles ago. I do quite a bit of motorway driving but also not afraid to go beyong 6k revs when necessary :P

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Field View Post
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew why the MPg on my car is so shockingly bad at the moment?

I haven't been driving it hard at all and this week i've done 110 miles on over 23 worth of fuel. Using standard 95 unleaded and driving steadily (no heavy accelerating / braking). I put 40 of fuel in this morning and it has come up as 225 miles remaining on the display.

Any help woudl be appreciated as this coudl potentially cost me a fortune!

Is there any way of resetting the display to give a different reading?

Thanks.
    Could it be running rich?
    My car was giving me really terrible economy after I had my turbo kit fitted. It turned out that the Revo map was making the engine run rich.
    You can see this using vag-com. It records the mixture averaged out however long you've been driving.
    Work commute:
    Honda CBR 1000RR
    169 kg & 170 bhp - eeek!

Backdraft Big Turbo Silver S3, Supersprint, Eibach lowered, QST rear tiebars, SPA boost gauge Sold
    Lotus Elise 111R also Sold

Wanted: Honda powered Lotus Elise S2

Smell my finger.

Status
    My MPG has shot up now I've taken my 18's off!

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by glen_jai View Post
    Could it be running rich?
    My car was giving me really terrible economy after I had my turbo kit fitted. It turned out that the Revo map was making the engine run rich.
    You can see this using vag-com. It records the mixture averaged out however long you've been driving.
    Fuel trims? Block 032 I guess you're on about?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Reverse Gear

Status
    my s3 does 30-32 mpg motorway driving and 24+ town driving and its been remapped runnung 250 bhp.

1st Gear

Status
    i get 23mpg, my right foot has a mind of its on sometimes

Reverse Gear

Status
    Going back and forward from Bristol to Manchester I typically got 33mpg. That's sitting with the cruise control on at 78mph pretty much all the way on the GPS (about 82-83 on the clock).

My average monthly is probably about 24-25mpg. Thats a combo of distance driving, the odd thrash here and there, and buzzing about my day to day.

I did as an experiment, when going back and forth from Bristol to Edinburgh for work, see the difference super unleaded, and optimising the tyre pressure for distance driving would make. Filled up at the same filling station, in roughly the same driving conditions, set my cruise control, etc and my findings................ No difference. My fuel light came on 1 mile further on than it did with 95RON and unoptimised tyre pressures.
    Last edited by Paranoid; 4th March 2010 at 21:06.