LOW MPG on Audi A3 1.8T Sport 1998

Field

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew why the MPg on my car is so shockingly bad at the moment?

I haven't been driving it hard at all and this week i've done 110 miles on over £23 worth of fuel. Using standard 95 unleaded and driving steadily (no heavy accelerating / braking). I put £40 of fuel in this morning and it has come up as 225 miles remaining on the display.

Any help woudl be appreciated as this coudl potentially cost me a fortune!

Is there any way of resetting the display to give a different reading?

Thanks.

That sounds about the same as I get on mine mate.

Yep, same here. If you want better MPG go for super unleaded - you'll get a few extra. But you pay more so it's swings and roundabouts!

Fair enough... It's just a bit of a shock going from a knackered old van that seemes to run forever on £10! It's worth it for the car tho! :yes:

If you have a trip computer, press the button on the underside of the stalk; this resets the counters and can give you an idea of you current and average MPG and your distance to empty. I reset after every petrol tank.

My best MPG has been 23.2 and thats driving under boost, and mainly between 1k to 2.5k. I hope it is something I can improve on.

Around town mines high 20's, say about 28mpg with all the stopping and starting.

On a motorway run at 70ish its about 33-35mpg I reckon which isnt too bad.

Mine's averaged 33.0MPG since I bought it a month and 1400 miles ago. I do quite a bit of motorway driving but also not afraid to go beyong 6k revs when necessary :p

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew why the MPg on my car is so shockingly bad at the moment?

I haven't been driving it hard at all and this week i've done 110 miles on over £23 worth of fuel. Using standard 95 unleaded and driving steadily (no heavy accelerating / braking). I put £40 of fuel in this morning and it has come up as 225 miles remaining on the display.

Any help woudl be appreciated as this coudl potentially cost me a fortune!

Is there any way of resetting the display to give a different reading?

Thanks.

Could it be running rich?
My car was giving me really terrible economy after I had my turbo kit fitted. It turned out that the Revo map was making the engine run rich.
You can see this using vag-com. It records the mixture averaged out however long you've been driving.

My MPG has shot up now I've taken my 18's off!

Could it be running rich?
My car was giving me really terrible economy after I had my turbo kit fitted. It turned out that the Revo map was making the engine run rich.
You can see this using vag-com. It records the mixture averaged out however long you've been driving.

Fuel trims? Block 032 I guess you're on about?

my s3 does 30-32 mpg motorway driving and 24+ town driving and its been remapped runnung 250 bhp.

i get 23mpg, my right foot has a mind of its on sometimes

Going back and forward from Bristol to Manchester I typically got 33mpg. That's sitting with the cruise control on at 78mph pretty much all the way on the GPS (about 82-83 on the clock).

My average monthly is probably about 24-25mpg. Thats a combo of distance driving, the odd thrash here and there, and buzzing about my day to day.

I did as an experiment, when going back and forth from Bristol to Edinburgh for work, see the difference super unleaded, and optimising the tyre pressure for distance driving would make. Filled up at the same filling station, in roughly the same driving conditions, set my cruise control, etc and my findings................ No difference. My fuel light came on 1 mile further on than it did with 95RON and unoptimised tyre pressures.

Last edited: