Looking to buy an S3, advice and knowledge needed!

SamiG

On Boost, ish.
Reaction score
Hi all,

just joined up here, i have put a thread in the welcome room :)

figured more people will look in here.

I'm looking into buying an S3 and i really want some info. anything will help as regards to what to look out for. Any specific models to stay clear of? Through speaking to a couple mates i'm told to go for the BAM engine's models which i'm told was put in the '01 - '03 models?? This being the 225hp motor right? Basically i'm after an S3 in Imola Yellow (first choice and preffered) or Mineral Grey (second choice) hopefully about 60-70k but i want the 225hp Quattro with xenon's and Bose sounds. Is this a specific 'spec' or what?

Whilst looking at S3's is there any common faults i should look out for? All i've gathered so far is suspension bushes, MAF sensor and coil packs?

Thanks in advance, any help much appreciated :)

Shouldnt have a job finding that spec. Dont be so dedicated to getting a BAM, no real difference with the slightly older AMK, except the door handles.........:)

I recently got one, and bose is noway near what I thought it would be, already considering upgrading it.

You seem to have mechanical checks, good to be through checking service history, to see if a car has been on 'longlife services' which is apparently no good for the engine.

no preference on interior?

ave got the right car for u mate am lookin to sell up!!:icon_thumright:

Thanks jojo, handy to know that dude! :)

And sportstractor, a friend of mine just advised the BAM engine and as my x missus had an LCR which is BAM engine'd, this is basically what i fell in love with :)

although saying that i'm not aware of the differences in the two??

I just want the top spec, which being the 225, is what i want :)

Also i was thinking earlier about future mods when i do get one, is it a common mod, or easily achieved mod to upgrade the front calipers to the LCR Brembo's??

Thanks for your input guys

So the only difference is the ECU map, yet they have different block codes? :S

Also prefer the full Black leather, not a massive fan of the two tone :-|

Yes,

APY - 11/98 - 09/00 Pre Facelift 210bhp
AMK - 09/00 - 04/02 - Facelift 210bhp
BAM - 08/01 - 05/02 - 225bhp

Shouldnt have a job finding that spec. Dont be so dedicated to getting a BAM, no real difference with the slightly older AMK, except the door handles.........:)

I recently got one, and bose is noway near what I thought it would be, already considering upgrading it.

You seem to have mechanical checks, good to be through checking service history, to see if a car has been on 'longlife services' which is apparently no good for the engine.

no preference on interior?

Am looking for a Bose upgrade, you selling.........?

yeah I wasnt keen on two tone, but i found one with black and alcantara and it looks really nice. Yeah only differnce is the map so i wouldnt be so bother about it. Only thing is some of the older APYs dont have esp, avoid them.

Finesse, dont think its worth selling, have you heard the bose? the speakers are good, but the sub is rubbish. The standard golf speakers are better. Im probably gonna do the andymac sub upgrade sometime this year.

Wow, some real helpful people on this site! :)

Ok so either an AMK 210hp or BAM 225hp that way i'l get the facelift model with the ESP.

What differences does the facelift model have over pre-facelift?

Thanks again chaps

Wow, some real helpful people on this site! :)

Ok so either an AMK 210hp or BAM 225hp that way i'l get the facelift model with the ESP.

What differences does the facelift model have over pre-facelift?

Thanks again chaps

Revised badges
xenons
different climate control unit,esp button, stereo,steering wheel.

They are the main ones that would jump out at you.

What about cosmetic wise? Headlights/tailights, bumpers etc?

Also do they all come with those awful tacky aluminum mirrors :(

What about cosmetic wise? Headlights/tailights, bumpers etc?

Also do they all come with those awful tacky aluminum mirrors :(

Facelift have one piece hedlights/indicators, tail lights not sure, some have have smoked reverse lights but i think that's just the A3 1.8t the bumpers are the same
most come with the "tacky" wing mirrors, though some are chrome and some are brushed alloy

with you on the tacky bit, they are horrrrrrrible.

Just keep checking pistonheads for new listings, I checked everyday for about a month lol. Ebays pretty good to keep an eye on, but they always seem to go for silly money on ebay.

Yeah i will, My Civic sold this morning, it was sooo sad, i've spent 15K on it over 2 1/2 years and it's gone! :(

Got £5.6K for it though so i'm gonna put another £1,400 with that and set my budget at £7K

Here's a couple pics of her if anyone wats to see.

SamiGizzle.jpg

SamiGee1.jpg

SamiGee2.jpg

It's an Ek3 which is a 1.5 sohc but had a 1.6 dohc Ek4 SiR B16a engine swap with an Ek9 transmision with a LSD.

Here's the spec taken from the FS thread on PH.

Engine:
JDM B16a conversion from '97 Ek4 SiR import with 55K. (Engine came out of the SiR i owned so i know the history of the engine)
Ek9 Civic TypeR S4C LSD Gearbox
Spoon Sports Cams
Toda Racing Pulleys
GReddy 4-2-1 Stainless Exhaust Manifold
Spoon Sports ECU
Spoon Sports Engine Torque Damper
Energy Suspention Polyurethane Enine mounts
Integra TypeR DC2 Shifter Linkages
Integra TypeR DC2 Dual Bend Shifter
Energy Suspension Polyurethane Shifter Linkage Bushes
Spoon Sports Lightweight Flywheel
Exedy Stage 1 Clutch
J's Racing Carbon Intake
OEM Carbon Spark Plug cover
Red Silicone Performance Ignition leads
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
OEM Ek9 Chrome rocker cover nuts
OEM Ek9 chrome oil cap
Custom one-off Pink rocker-cover
Datum1 Vtec solenoid cover
Datum1 Battery tie

Suspension/Stability:
D2 Racing 32way Adjustable Coilovers
Buddyclub Rear Adjustable Camber Arms
Whiteline 18mm Rear Anti Roll Bar (powdercoated Red) with brand new OEM droplinks and polyurethane Bushes
OEM Ek9 TypeR 34mm Front Anti Roll Bar (powdercoated Red) with brand new OEM Drop Links and Polyurethane Bushes
Rear Upper Strut Brace
Rear Lower Tie Bar
Password:JDM 3 Point Front Strut Brace in Ltd Edition Black Finish

Brakes:
Rear 242mm Disc Conversion (origionally drums)
Front Brake Upgrade Using Prelude 2.2Vti Front calipers (powdercoated Red)
EBC 282mm blank discs
Delphi Performance Pads
Cusco rep Master Cylinder brace

Exhaust:
GReddy Stainless 4-2-1 Exhaust Manifold.
Megan Racing Drift Spec full 2.5" header back system (no cat)
Wheels/Tyres:
16x7 Gloss Black Rota Grid wheels x 5 (one spare)
195/45/16 Toyo proxes T1-R Tyres
Skunk2 Gunmetal extended lug nuts

Exterior:
Fully colour coded exterior inc. bump strips all round/handles/side skirts
OEM Ek9 TypeR spoiler
Ek9 TypeR style front lip
Ek9 TypeR style rear lip
Ek9 TypeR style grille
Ek9 TypeR style headlamps
Ek9 TypeR style tail lights
OEM Ek9 TypeR JDM rear numberplate recess
Spoon Sports wing mirrors
WekSos lower windscreen banner
Smoothed ariel cap
Honda Jazz OEM washer jets
6000K HID conversion
Michilin Flat Blade Wipers
De-Wipered rear
De-Badged tailgate
Gloss Black rear 'H'
Import size plates
Clear repeaters
OEM Ek9 Wind/Rain deflectors

Interior:
Bride Zeta II seats with Bride Super Low rails and Bride headrests.
Takata 4 point 3" harnesses
Full Ek9/Ek4 Black interior with Ek9 N1 noo air bag dash.
Door card pods re-trimmed in Black fabric.
Ek9 coin pocket
Ek9 handbrake cover
Re-located head unit
Oil Pressure Guage
Oil Temp Gauge
Fully stripped rear (still have seats and plastics and another full carpet to go with the sale)
Whole interior was fully stripped, sound deadening removed for weight saving, cleaned, prepped and painted Vogue Silver Metallic to match the car colour.
Carbon Fibre one-off fuel pump cover
Skunk2 Weighted gear knob
Ek4 Vti Clocks
Genuine JDM parking permit

Audio:
JVC Head unit with front AUX input for iPod
Front Infinity speakers
OEM Ek4 Vti tweeters

Is it true that the 210bhp and the 225bhp engines both come out at 260bhp once re-mapped?

As i was looking for the 225 model but i will definitely be tuning the power delivery a bit and will be re-mapping it for sure so if this is true then i don't really need to worry about specically getting the 225 do i? Also the 225 is considerably more expensive on insurance :(

Is it true that the 210bhp and the 225bhp engines both come out at 260bhp once re-mapped?

As i was looking for the 225 model but i will definitely be tuning the power delivery a bit and will be re-mapping it for sure so if this is true then i don't really need to worry about specically getting the 225 do i? Also the 225 is considerably more expensive on insurance :(

And more to tax, if the revised tax law ever comes in the 225bhp S3 would be £100 more