Few questions about new s3 ive purchased

1an

Reaction score
hi there, from what i understand i cant run a dumpvalve on the 1.8t due to the ecu etc and a recirculater needs to be used. but awesome gti supply a forge splitter valve, will this still give the desired noise or is it best to stick with a forge recirculater?

cheers ian

a "scooby" or a "pretza" would ahve given the "desired" sound. they come with baseball caps as standard too ;)

im sure youtube would show you show a forge splitter sounds though. brap

Most people on here stick with the Forge re-circ (007p) valve. I'm not sure how the Split-R sounds tbh, but some folk mount their 007p upside down for increased noise...

ok thats what i seem to have been reading that sticking with the forge recirc is a favoured part to fit etc, was jsut looking into different parts that are avalaible as ive read the original part is liable to failure etc.

Last edited:
The ecu will still work but you will be using too much fuel for the air supplied. Just get a forge or bailey recirc valve and you will still get quite a loud noise.

The ecu will still work but you will be using too much fuel for the air supplied. Just get a forge or bailey recirc valve and you will still get quite a loud noise.

tbh im looking for whats best for the car dont wanna ruin it etc, just the searxch on here isnt great etc, obviously noise isnt everytihng but it is a by product of fitting these parts?

I think what's generally considered best for the car is either a Forge 007p or Bailey (DV30?) re-circ valve.
The original Bosch unit is prone to failure (it's plastic), especially if the car has been re-mapped. A broken original can mean that your turbo may suffer damage (i'm not very technical so i'll let someone else give you the details or correct me) so it's wise to upgrade.
Going from the standard Bosch to a Forge 007p the sound is more noticeable but certainly not loud or chavvy.

You'll still get a bit of noise if running an aftermarket air filter or drilled air box with a 007P. The SplitR valve isn't a very good bit of kit to be honest. It is a jack of both options (recirc and atmospheric), but a master of neither. I would steer clear myself.

A broken original can mean that your turbo may suffer damage (i'm not very technical so i'll let someone else give you the details or correct me) so it's wise to upgrade.

A broken standard DV has a diaphragm inside, instead of a piston. The diaphragm has a quicker response time, but is prone to splitting once been used for a while. If it splits, you basically have a massive boost leak all the time.... which isn't the best. Not sure it would cause any long lasting damage to the turbo to be honest, but obviously would affect performance vastly.

The 007P has a spring and piston - they don't split. When serviced regularly, they are as good as gold for countless miles of driving.

You can grab one at DPM Performance. See here: http://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/for...ebr-a3-8l-18t-fwd-18t-quattro-0996-p-887.html. You might even get forum discount if you ask nicely.... lol.

my s4 has two oem plastic bosch DVs. at 115k miles ONE was dead.

i put a pair of new N710s on. £23 each. a forge one is £80+

therefore, if a bosch fails (and theyll last c.115k) i can replace four before im out of pocket

so unless you are running loads of extra boost, dont get the forge unless you just have a burning desire to do whatever everyone else does

therefore, if a bosch fails (and theyll last c.115k) i can replace four before im out of pocket

Whilst I agree with you in principle, the Bosch ones don't just fail. They tend to split over a period of time, getting progressively worse as time goes on. When you say one was dead at 115K that's not bad at all - but do you really know how long it had been 'going' for? Could of been adversely affecting the engine since 80K for example and you didn't notice.

Not everyone's experiences are as good as yours - I have heard of them failing much earlier than that. Spending the £80 or whatever in my opinion is worth it, because you eliminate a well known and common potential cause of failure. OK, they're more expensive, but you KNOW that it will be working in 100K time.

And it's shiny! :)

That's my thoughts anyway.

Ive never really looked into it, but I thought everyone changed to the uprated piston type DV because it gave some sort of performance benefit? But it would seem the diaphragm type standard DV is more responsive?

My remapped S3 has a standard DV on it and is boosting fine. I had been planning to change to the 007p for a while, but i dont think I'll bother now, I'll probably just a stick a new standard one on the car and save myself some money.

i fitted one to a mates AGU. she still had compressor surge afterwards. it was then pulled apart and greased, it just did nt respond properly

the OE bosch ones are the same as on the 993 and 996 (i think) turbo, they can obviously take a fair bit of boost

£23 each. i dont think there is any comparison

i have a forge split-r dv
rubbish dont bother with them, im getting a 007p instead

Just to put my boot in it.. i have a DV30.. don't notice any change in responsiveness but the noise is immense. im 19 so i'm allowed to be that little bit immature :p just always have liked the sounds that they make so when i got 1 at 1/3 the rrp i couldn't resist :)

i got a dv30 and i cant hear the ****** thing, maybe with the windows down i can just about hear it, or with windows up and stereo off

i have got std airbox/filter not drilled though so thats more than likely why

sounds like im gonna take a trip to AMD and purchase a 007p today then as they are local to me.

cheers for the info guys, just want to make sure everytihng is in order before i look to remap the s3.

You can get the 007p from Awesome for about £15 less than RRP, if you don't mind it having 'AWESOME' engraved on it!
That's what I did anyway.
They also sell the standard one.

i got a dv30 and i cant hear the ****** thing, maybe with the windows down i can just about hear it, or with windows up and stereo off

i have got std airbox/filter not drilled though so thats more than likely why

Swiss cheese it...... :eyebrows:

Is this 'drilling the airbox' as simple as it sounds lol.

Just drilling lots of 6mm??? holes in the bottom of the airbox?

My S3 has one 6mm hole in the bottom, is this standard?

Cheers.