Clunk from underneath car...

I

imported_ashs3

Noticed today that when taking my foot off the clutch quickly after changing gear there is a sort of metallic clank underneath as if something is knocking (comes from the gearbox area) tried testing this by doing about 20mph and in 5th, pumped the accelerator pedal to get a jerkin motion and the metallic clank could be heard clearer, held onto the gear stick and did it again and the gear stick is not moving so don't think it is a gear box mounting, had the exhaust checked today and all seems fine. Noticed when the car was on the ramp at the tyre place by me (had them check the exhaust out) that there is a mounting that comes off the bottom of the engine (I think) via a 6" bar that goes into a square busher, this seems to be OK as well. Is this noise normal or could a mounting have gone somewhere, could it be the clutch? Thing is I get a similar noise when cornering and say hitting a small pot hole with one of the wheels as if that also makes what ever is loose make the clunk. Gonna book it in under Warranty for Audi to take a look as only picked the car up last week. By the way if they do have a look and find nothing wrong do I then get charged for it?

Arvo Ash, check out the post by dunk on S3 Clunking Rear Suspension, I've stuck a link in there for a similar thread a little while ago.

Could this be some sort of common mechanical fault.....

It is def not clunking rear suspension, it is the same as bk1 had in his thread, it is coming from the front under the gear box between this and the engine. It is only when changing gear, after more investigation the noise when cornering is just a bit of play in the steering rack. It is booked in with Sinclair Audi under warranty on Monday @ 9.30am and they will be experiencing it and fingers crossed sorting it, it also is having the xenon headlight sensor for the auto dip changed as the drivers side keeps dropping, also having the passenger mirror glass replaced as it did not heat up this morning (outside temp was 4.5 degrees and when I pressed the rear demister button the drivers side glass got very hot and the passengers stayed cold)
Fingers crossed that will be all that is wrong with it, apart from the usual creaks and groans from the dash, but hey what do we expect with tight suspension /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

try a dog bone mount which is the one you saw under the car, they are not that common, most common is the anti roll bar which sometimes make a clunking noise.

Cheers mate, is there one anti roll bar, I take it it runs accross from both sides of the suspension?