Xenon dipped beam - down, switch off, normal again??

JD09

I'm not modding, I'm improving
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Noticed on the way home from the gym last night that my driver's side Xenon was basically pointed at the ground. Passenger side was fine.

Got home, turned the car off. Same.

Moved the car to face it at the garage to reallign (following threads on here about VAG COM useage and realigning the headlights) and it rectified itself.

Obviously doesn't bother me now it's OK again, but would be interested to know if this is a known fault that I can proactively sort?

Cheers for any pointers,

James

Oh and car has been on level ground while at the gym and driving home (i.e. no hills etc).

Noticed on the way home from the gym last night that my driver's side Xenon was basically pointed at the ground. Passenger side was fine.

Got home, turned the car off. Same.

Moved the car to face it at the garage to reallign (following threads on here about VAG COM useage and realigning the headlights) and it rectified itself.

Obviously doesn't bother me now it's OK again, but would be interested to know if this is a known fault that I can proactively sort?

Cheers for any pointers,

James

I think mine do a similar thing, sometimes i think my light are amazing and other they seem really aimed at the floor. In previous car's I've had had a manual adjustment for height but my obviously S3's ain't got that.

it does have manulal adjustment..

Behind the headlamp, Callum, yeah. But think he was talking about internal adjustment.

If you look at the back of the headlight unit (so bonnet open/up) there is a white plastic "bolt" that fits an allen key, not sure on the size however. If you turn this clockwise and anticlockwise it will adjust the lights up and down.

However, you need to use VAG COM as other wise it will through up a fault saying the adjusters (presuming you have xenons) aren't in line or something. You need to adjust it with VAG COM as well.

If you look at the back of the headlight unit (so bonnet open/up) there is a white plastic "bolt" that fits an allen key, not sure on the size however. If you turn this clockwise and anticlockwise it will adjust the lights up and down.

However, you need to use VAG COM as other wise it will through up a fault saying the adjusters (presuming you have xenons) aren't in line or something. You need to adjust it with VAG COM as well.

Yer i have Xenons, think they came on all S3's as standard. Nothing is ever simple, lol my last 3 cars just had a nice little switch by the light to adjust. Looks like I'll be leaving that, was checked in the MOT so it legal height, I'd just like it a bit higher.

Mines the same except permenantly like it... i have been told that water may have go in and rusted it as the adjusters aren't working :-(
Dont want to fork out for new lights so im just going to leave it until MOT time!