AH FabricationsBadger5
    I'm not modding, I'm improving

Status

Xenon dipped beam - down, switch off, normal again??

Noticed on the way home from the gym last night that my driver's side Xenon was basically pointed at the ground. Passenger side was fine.

Got home, turned the car off. Same.

Moved the car to face it at the garage to reallign (following threads on here about VAG COM useage and realigning the headlights) and it rectified itself.

Obviously doesn't bother me now it's OK again, but would be interested to know if this is a known fault that I can proactively sort?

Cheers for any pointers,

James

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Oh and car has been on level ground while at the gym and driving home (i.e. no hills etc).

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JD09 View Post
    Noticed on the way home from the gym last night that my driver's side Xenon was basically pointed at the ground. Passenger side was fine.

Got home, turned the car off. Same.

Moved the car to face it at the garage to reallign (following threads on here about VAG COM useage and realigning the headlights) and it rectified itself.

Obviously doesn't bother me now it's OK again, but would be interested to know if this is a known fault that I can proactively sort?

Cheers for any pointers,

James
    I think mine do a similar thing, sometimes i think my light are amazing and other they seem really aimed at the floor. In previous car's I've had had a manual adjustment for height but my obviously S3's ain't got that.

Hulk Smash!

Status
    it does have manulal adjustment..

Status
    Behind the headlamp, Callum, yeah. But think he was talking about internal adjustment.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by csweatherston View Post
    it does have manulal adjustment..
    Yer I was on about internal, but how can I adjust it. I'd like mine a bit higher.

Status
    If you look at the back of the headlight unit (so bonnet open/up) there is a white plastic "bolt" that fits an allen key, not sure on the size however. If you turn this clockwise and anticlockwise it will adjust the lights up and down.

However, you need to use VAG COM as other wise it will through up a fault saying the adjusters (presuming you have xenons) aren't in line or something. You need to adjust it with VAG COM as well.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JD09 View Post
    If you look at the back of the headlight unit (so bonnet open/up) there is a white plastic "bolt" that fits an allen key, not sure on the size however. If you turn this clockwise and anticlockwise it will adjust the lights up and down.

However, you need to use VAG COM as other wise it will through up a fault saying the adjusters (presuming you have xenons) aren't in line or something. You need to adjust it with VAG COM as well.
    Yer i have Xenons, think they came on all S3's as standard. Nothing is ever simple, lol my last 3 cars just had a nice little switch by the light to adjust. Looks like I'll be leaving that, was checked in the MOT so it legal height, I'd just like it a bit higher.

Works 60% the time, Everytime.

Status
    Mine does it every now and then.

2003 Audi S3 + Go faster bits

3rd Gear

Status
    Mines the same except permenantly like it... i have been told that water may have go in and rusted it as the adjusters aren't working :-(
    Dont want to fork out for new lights so im just going to leave it until MOT time!

5th Gear

Status
    Looks like a common issue, A3 and S3 seems to have a few of these. Mine-due all car's have, considering mine is 10-11 years old its pretty reliable.