Post Remap - Traction Control kicking in under hard acceleration...?

JS1500

Howdy
Reaction score
Howdy,

I had a Custom-Code Phase 1 put on last week.
After a few days of tentative driving I decided to put my foot down on a straight bit of road and see what it'll do.

Basically, the car initially lurches forward (as it should) but then the traction control kicks in and it's like i've hit the brakes! the TC only kicks in for a second or so, then zoooom - off I go at a decent rate of knots.

My question is... is this normal? Am I really loosing traction so easily or is my car confused? Tyres are half worn Dunlop SportMaxx TTs and the roads were dry!

I'd rather not have to switch the TC off everytime I want to accelerate hard.

Cheers for any info, opinions, hints or tips.

You have to turn the ESP off if you want a quick get away, ruins all the fun otherwise. You'll be alright once your rolling though...

So in short your car is fine and sounds like it's performing as it should :)

Thanks Leggy.
Yeah, I could understand it better if the TC came on from a complete standstill, but the car seems to accelerate hard for a few meters then the TC cuts in for a second, then accelerates hard again.
I guess it's just when the power/torque is fed through in a big lump. Revos must be more prone to this then, what with the spikier power delivery?

I guess i'll switch the TC off and see how I get on.

Cue my next thread this evening; "Help me retrieve my S3 from a field, please"...

That's why you never do a launch with the ESP turned on..... Turn it off and you will fly off the line as the haldex will kick in as soon as it detects the front wheels spinning faster than the rears (wheelspin)

I think the guy is talking about in gear hard acceleration, not launching the car from a standstill.
Is this an issue with remapped cars?

was this over rough grounds or level normal roads in a straight line? I have revo and i've never had the tractioon control kick in on the straight. over bumps and potholes maybe but not on "normal roads".

was this over rough grounds or level normal roads in a straight line? I have revo and i've never had the tractioon control kick in on the straight. over bumps and potholes maybe but not on "normal roads".

Bumps & potholes = normal roads!

Straight, level, dry roads...
I think it's just when the turbo kicks in at around 3k rpm the TC has to kick in due to the power spike causing wheelspin - makes sense really.

JD09 - Don't let it put you off too much! Remap still = WIN!

Hmm bizzare my APS remap doesn't cause my traction to light up on launch on dry roads when I toe it... Sorry that doesn't sound right, unless it's a lot more aggressive than mine.

Although if I dumped the clutch harshly then yes it prob would, but not in acceleration once it's rolling if that makes sense?!

Haha some of you lot make me laugh, if you turn the traction control off your not going to die, try it, you might just like it, my s3 hasnt got TC and am so f****** glad, it would do my tits in, you've got awd what more do you need, just be sensible and know when and when not to boot it.

i only take off my traction for seconds at a time where i know im hard accelerating over a verge in the road or pot holes (if trying to gain a head start off a roadabout etc)..... otherwise it stays on as it aids your cornering in the wet through braking the wheels independently, although you'd have to gauge yourself if accelerating around corners....i think its more likely to come on when mapped due to the torque/power increase, although i ve not noticed a massive distinction either way

oh and with TC, from a standing start you will hit the limiter in 1st a lot quicker than you realise making it feel like the TC kicking in :)

I had the traction control kick in when pulling off quickly the car started to go then it felt like the car was breakin by itself now when i want to pull away quickly i just switch it off more fun too.

I think the guy is talking about in gear hard acceleration, not launching the car from a standstill.
Is this an issue with remapped cars?

You shouldn't have any issues with in gear acceleration, say dropping from 4th to 3rd, or 3rdto 2nd etc... I'm purely stating what will happen from standstill...

Turn ESP off and hold on, lol... Can actually suprise you sometimes how quickly the S3 is of getting away...yee haa !!

JS1500 I think the S3 manual says to have the traction control switched off when driving in snow it makes better braking.

JS1500: with my revo launching i've never had the stagger you describe mate although i do agree normal roads now = bumpy pothole mania!!

It does seem a bit strange that some people have this issue and others don't. For example; Rav has a Revo map which should have spikier power delivery than my C-C map but his ESP doesn't interfere.
Could it be that some cars' ESP are more sensitive than others? Why would this be?
Maybe my Haldex is slow to kick in, so the ESP is kicking in to prevent the front wheels spinning?

Just typing what I think as I think it... dunno if it makes sense!

lol all makes sense bud. Like i said if its bumpy or over a pothole then it has kicked in but on "normal roads" it hasnt happened with me.

Haha some of you lot make me laugh, if you turn the traction control off your not going to die, try it, you might just like it, my s3 hasnt got TC and am so f****** glad, it would do my tits in, you've got awd what more do you need, just be sensible and know when and when not to boot it.

Yea mate, its the first thing i turn off! If you start sliding the quatro soon sorts you out if you let it!

Your lucky you have the option, i have a3 1.8t remaped, and 2nd and sometimes 3rd battle to keep front wheels in traction if gunning it. She eats the front tires, but what the hell 4 wheel drive is for girls :lmfao:

11 month BUMP.

For anyone searching the forum with a similar 'problem'...
I guess this is why:

DynoBoostPSI.jpg

+1

Mines got a revo and the traction control is intrusive in 1st and 2nd if i pin the throttle. I've read this can be down to ****** tyres/certain tread patterns which would make sense on mine as it's got some dirty budjet tyres on it at the moment. (I've only had it a few weeks) i'll be changing them asap, does any1 have any recommendations for good rubber for s3's?

It's got 18 rs4's on it.

Never had any traction/wheelspin problem with in gear acceleration, and mine is the APY engined S3's which dont have traction control or seem to need it methinks yours may have a problem unless its making monster power compared to a normal remapped S3.

does any1 have any recommendations for good rubber for s3's?
It's got 18 rs4's on it.

Uniroyal Rainsport 2s from Camskill.

methinks yours may have a problem unless its making monster power compared to a normal remapped S3.

It's just the ferocious PSI / torque spike at 3,500rpm I think. 27.5 PSI and 298lb/ft for a nanosecond!

Mine spins all the way through to 3rd sometimes in the dry, had it spinning in 4th a few times in the wet too. I think tyres have a lot to do with it I have nexus on the front, getting some Toyo proxies next week.

Really in the dry you shouldn't be spinning in 3rd and possibly 4th in the wet, crap tyres or not...

You be doing well to do that in a fwd car.