For all running Sport Cats

S3-Chris

If its not broke....break it!!
Reaction score
Hi folks,
About to splash the cash on a Sports Cat - However i know there are severalones out there, and 110 cells and 120 cells,
Can someone tell me a sports cat which DOESNT bring on the engine management light?

Thanks

Well i got the 200 cell sports cat and that flagged up the engine light. You need this to stop it....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...399354698&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MERFB:IID

This fix has worked for everyone including myself. It goes in place of the lambda sensor and the sensor then screws into the back of this so it pushes the sensor further back. This is so it takes the sensor longer to read therefore no more fault code! :)

thought you were going!!?? :)

wouldnt bother mate to be fair...waste of cash although let us know how you get on ;)

same i wouldnt bother with just a sports cat, if you want to splash the cash get a piperwerx downpipe and sports cat will see better gains for around the same £££'s

Still in 2 minds whether or not to sell, Im going for DP and sports cat and custom made cat back system if i keep it,
Was just wondering about the engine light coming on,
Pipe Werx one is £475 - Got a good fabricator going to make me a full system, inc DP and sports cat for £600, but he cant guarantee the light wont come on, hence asking this question!

also.... How many lambda sensors are on my s3?
do i need 2 of those ebay fixes above?

also.... How many lambda sensors are on my s3?
do i need 2 of those ebay fixes above?

Im running a "W Reg" and there is only 1 sensor located at the back of the engine bay but i think facelift have 2 sensors

My facelift has the one at the back of the engine bay and then the post cat probe aswell. Have read on here that the standard cat does not restrict flow, unless going down the big turbo route, so personallly, if I were going for a sports cat I would get the 200 cell one. This way you stand a chance of the CEL not coming on, which I believe some people have managed to achieve, and it is likely better for an MOT emissions test. If the CEL does come on, you would only need to use that adaptor for the post cat probe, as that is the one which is now seeing unconverted (for want of a better word) exhaust gases.

Do you think that adaptor would work for a 110/120 cell sports cat?

Dont use that ebay fix on the first lambda sensor thats your one for checking the fueling is correct so trying to make it read incorect is not good, just use on the rear sensor,
if im correct the early APY engines will only have pre-cat sensors then BAM and AMK will have pre and post cat sensors

Considering the conical shape of the cat, why can't the original cat not be 're-welded' onto the new larger diameter pipework (by cutting it a little further down the cat 'end' thereby increasing the diameter as the cat is approximately 5" dia decreasing to the standard 2.5"? pipework)?

Confusing I know, but I hope you understand what I mean - this way, you could use a standard decat pipe (cheap to buy) and have your original cat in situ and have no CEL. After all, if the cat is not the restrictive part and the pipework is then why not utilise / recycle the cat (possibly the most expensive part anyway) and have the best of both worlds? Just my tuppence worth...

Just had a thought, do the S3's have two cats? If so, this would be an easier solution for the 1.8t as opposed to the S3? (If it is a solutions at all...).

Last edited:
Yup that sensor works correctly. Many people have used it. There is someone on this site who has a decat and has worked fine for him for a long time now.