Little help with my new a3

JDover

Reaction score
Just picked up my a3 this week (1.8t). Love it already, got some bits to go on it and seeing as tomorrow is my day off i was hoping to crack on with it.

Already lowered it on Jamex coil overs and i have to say i am really impressed with them.

I have a boost gauge to fit and just wanted to know where to tee it from? I have a Baileys dv30 fitted, do i tee it from the pipe that goes from there to the underside of the inlet mani? And also where is the easiest place to feed the pipe through the bulk head?

I want to change the front grill as well, I'm guessing you have to take the front bumper off to do that? if so, how hard is it? I'm not a novice but don't want to have it half done at the end of the day :)

Last but not least.. Where is the Manual boost controller MEANT to go? a picture would be great :p

any help would be great!

Thanks.

dont use a MBC there more problems than there worth! get a remap instead!

Boost gauge pipe is quite fiddly. you will need to remove your wipers, remove the scuttle tray. this will reveal a black box on the drivers side in the bulk head. un clup this and this will give you access to the dash under the steering wheel. Run the boost gauge pipe through the rubber gromit and fannys ya uncles hamster! (obviously you will need to remove the trim under the steering wheel too!)

if you want to change your grill too an S3 grill it will not fit!

hope all this helps, welcome to the madhouse!

lol ok a re-map it is then. No a friend has given me his de-badged grill and i wana fit it thats all.

Last edited:
Ok so after a couple hours work i have fitted the grill and the splitter. Not to everybody's taste i realise but i like it so :)

Excuse the dirt, i have a 1 mile gravel drive to negotiate every time i come in or go out. only had it 6 days!

photo.php
photo.php
24397_350917470126_569280126_475219.jpg

24397_350917050126_569280126_475218.jpg

27071_351286780126_569280126_475353.jpg

Last edited:
the splitter looks reallly out of place grill aint to bad though. as long as you like it tho :icon_thumright:

like the grill... whats wrong with that splitter tho?? is it from a seat stealer or Ebay/ cupra R splitter right?

cupra R i believe.

cant wait to get some BBS in the arches, make it look soo much better

It was an ebay special i must say but it looks the part i think.

nothing wrong with ebay.... do you mind me asking how much dude?
*screws up face and waits to be horrified*

Last edited:
£40 odd quid

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140377247553&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

its too long so i had to cut the ends off but apart from that just cut 2 holes for it to clip into in the middle then stuck it on with some self tappers and tiger seal.

Bout an hours work all in all.

Little off topic but does anybody know if a set of 18" BBS LM's with an offset of 35 with 225/40 tires will fit under my arches.. got a good opportunity for a set on the cheap. :)

Looks nice!

Never mind fannying around with wheels and silly grilles and splitters, go get it remapped!!!

200 brake, bang just like that. It makes them a totally different car...

i know but where to go! Some say revo, some say custom code... some say things i have no idea about. there's a revo place less than a mile from my house...i want it to gimme a good kick in the **** when i give it the boot. Will a revo map do that? also.. how much? (gets ready to cringe)

i know but where to go! Some say revo, some say custom code... some say things i have no idea about. there's a revo place less than a mile from my house...i want it to gimme a good kick in the **** when i give it the boot. Will a revo map do that? also.. how much? (gets ready to cringe)

Yes, a REVO remap will be perfect if you want a punchy drive.

Revo remaps will be a little bit aggressive than than the custom code/other remaps which tend to be a bit more linear.

http://www.revotechnik.com/products/softwareProduct.aspx?pvID=780

£300...well spent!

These work very well, although the standard induction set up is up to scratch anyway - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Cold-Air-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item518ebdaf4f

Don't be too tempted by the £100/150 induction kits, they don't offer enough of a quality or performance difference to warrant the price hike IMO...All about the branding!

Running on V-Power and V-Power alone also makes a massive difference to the 1.8T's, by the time you have been through a tank full of V-Power and some long runs to let the ECU trim and adapt itself you should feel a difference.

If you are planning on a downpipe/decat/exhaust then its worth getting that fitted before the remap.

Also it might be worth checking, or if its due doing the cambelt and water pump (make sure its changed for a metal bladed one!) before the remap, the extra stresses and power often expose any problems pretty quick (but rarely)!

Last edited:
yes get a revo map mate. im currently saving for it! for future ref mate, if you ever need another splitter, go direct to seat and get a genuine item. for about £25 inc vat in ya hands :) perfect fit too!

Cheers for all the help lads. does anybody know about the wheels, i have been searching and cant seem to find a definitive answer. Revo remap is on the to do list but as mentioned before, its probably worth waiting until i have the exhaust and induction all plumbed in first.

5 x 100 pcd and ET35 is what you want so if the BBS are in that fitment then go for it.