Badger5Volks Autos

Thread: oil experts?

4th Gear

Status

Question oil experts?

Can anyone confirm that shell helix ultra 5W30 spec 501 has been replaced with shell helix ultra extra 5-30 spec 504?

I have always used the 501 spec but no where sells it anymore!

Cheers
    2002 225 S3, metallic black, REVO, 18" RSTT alloys, goodyear Eagle F1s, silver leather heated seats, tinted windows, H&R spacers, black diamond grooved discs & Ferrodo DS2500 pads, BOSE system, xenons, forge DV, samco TIP & upper boost hoses.

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    HAve a read on opie oils - that oil was created to meet a minimum standard
    I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, save me Superman

Cawsey

Status
    just a quicky i need to get my oil changed with in the next couple weeks what oil should i be going for? 1999 S3
    cheers danny

Ross_S4

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dannycawsey View Post
    just a quicky i need to get my oil changed with in the next couple weeks what oil should i be going for? 1999 S3
    cheers danny
    Totally personal choice mate. look up opie oils here and stick in your car details it'll suggest some.
    Asking what one to use on here is gonna just end up with a list of peoples different opinions anyway.
    for what it's worth I am a 99/2000 S3 with APY engine and I am using Castrol Edge 5w-30. however, about to change the oil in a couple of weeks and will be putting in Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30.
    Why you ask? it was on special at halfords...

Cawsey

Status
    cheers mate will look up opie oils..

5th Gear

Status
    I got a bargain batch of 4literes of Castrol Edge 5w-30 on EBay for 35 delivered on Ebay, worth keeping an eye out on there. (for my 2001 S3)

Keep an eye out on this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Castrol-Edge-5...item4cedc480fb

My mech recommended the castrol edge stuff over Mobil 1 - each to there own! Remember you'll need another 1litre bottle as the S3 sump is 4.65Litres

4th Gear

Status
    how about 5W50 or 0W40, has anyone used 5w50? I want to try it on my S3, it has about 130k on the clock, and the oil is mainly used for race cars.
    S3-8L REVO stage 2, Milltek, 3" DP & custom 3" decat, RS2 spark plugs, 4 bar FPR, Green-Cotton uprated upper/lower boost hose & TIP, Front Zimmerman & Ferrodo. LCR spliter. boost gauge, smoothed AB. Aero blades, H&R 5mm spacers. Best time 14.03sec, 0-62 in 5.7sec. 207gs @ 25psi , polished inlet mani. VAGCOM 805.1

2nd Gear

Status
    My question to oilman at opie was:
    In relation to my 2001 Audi S3, its done 60000miles yet has just had a complete engine rebuild and is now close to finishing its running in period the car is slightly modified with remap, hybrid turbo, front mount intercooler, exhaust, filter etc, prob up to close on 300brake from the std 210.

I do quite a few motorway miles and therefore clock up the miles quite quick so don;t want to be forever changing the oil - so longevity is as important as efficiency.

Please can you recommend an oil that would best suit my application.

There answer was:
    I would use a 5w-40 synthetic and you will find those through the link below.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. Those oils should be good for about 10000 miles or annual changes. You could go for one of the VW longlife specification oils, but they aren't really designed for modified cars.
    I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, save me Superman