Petrol & temp gauge

Mistryv

Reaction score
Hi guys,

first time I have used this and sick of Audi over priced labour charges.

Anyway My 2001 A3t quattro has a liitle problem. The fuel and temp sensor show more than it should be. The trip computer reads correct to the amoumt of fuel. When I fill up max the fuel gauge shows more than a full tank and the temp use to go no higher than 90 but even if turned on from cold it reads 1/4 warm....... has anyone seen this problem?

Help .................

its good that it shows no higher than 90!! as for the other probs, im not sure. Fuel sender maybe?

with your temperature, it might just be the dial, seeing as though your fuel dial is also dodgy then maybe it is just your temp dial. And if its reading quater warm from a cold start then its more than likely to be the dial, because its imposibble for it to be that warm from a cold start. Unless youve got a radioactive rock in there! :)

But it could be your thermostat sticking closed, in which case the coolant wouldn't reach the radiator. How hot is it reading when fully up to temperature?

Could be the temp sender for the erratic temp display, as for the fuel display maybe the fuel sender. Have you had it on vag com?

I had this problem on my 1999 A3 1.8t sport. It was 2 wires worn through and touching..

Get the car on VAGCOM if you can mate, that will tell you what the issues are.

To me it sounds like the temp and fuel sender are shot, your best bet is to get them replaced, however, as already mentioned, see if you can get the car on Vagcom 1st, it will save you a lot of time and money if you can get the diagnostic right instead of playing a guessing game.

Whereabouts are you, as im sure there will be someone local that will be able to get your car on VAGCOM

Vagcom did not pick my fault up at all. As it was a brake in the circuit rather than a faulty part.

I had this problem on my 1999 A3 1.8t sport. It was 2 wires worn through and touching..
Could you elaborate on how you fixed it? Which two wires were they? Behind the clocks?

I've got the exact same problem with my temperature gauge. Whilst the car's clocks are completely off, it's at the bottom of the temp gauge and as soon as I turn the car on it goes a quarter of the way up the gauge, and so it sits at a quarter over the gauge when it's warmed up. I know the temperature's all fine and the temp sender and thermostat have been replaced, and I've had mine on VAG-COM and it's all ok, it's definitely the gauge but I'd love to know how to fix it.

I've also found this guide for fixing the TT cluster, but it's the same problem I think and have read others have used this guide to fix their faulty petrol and temp gauges, but I don't know if I'd like to open my clocks up.

Last edited: