shell helix ultra oil? G12?

campbell

Reaction score
hi guys and girls,

I have always used shell helix ultra 5w-30 oil in my 2002 audi s3 and i cant seam to find anywhere that sells it, can anybody point me in the right direction? My supplies doesnt supply it anymore!

Also, what is the correct procedure to check the G12 coolant levels, should it protected to -20? I have checked it with the engine cold with a coolant gauge and its protected to 0 so i guess it needs more g12. Is it best to top up or completely drain the coolant and start again, if so how do you do it?

Thanks in advance
Campbell

You should be able to get the oil from the likes of GSF or Euro Car Parts etc :)

As for the G12, you can get that as well so I'd get a bottle and do a complete flush if I were you. Looking at the very weak solution that came out of my engine when I changed my thermostat it was no where near enough in there. Now its a fairly dark pink colour...so for the sake of dropping a hose off I'd do the lot again. It tells you the dilution ratios on the bottles ;)

bottom rad hose would be a good start, ideally you want to get the stat out too to drain/flush the block.

in the UK you want at least 30% antifreeze

definately accessible from the top but it would be less fiddly if you were under the car.

as for the stat, thats right on the front of the block so simple enough to do. pop a hose in there (and in the bottom hose) to flush all the old stuff out until it runs clear, then youre ready to go

There is a tap on the lower right hand side of the radiator on the S3 for coolant drainage and flushing. Well, thats what I always use it for anyway.....