Badger5Volks Autos
    STANDARD S3 (225bhp)

Status

Exclamation CHANGING BRAKE DISCS

evening all,
    just a quick question,im going to be changing my front and rear discs and pads in the morning,and just needed to know do the pistons in the calipers just push stright back in to allow for the new pads,or are they the other kind that twist in while pushing in,its just iv been told i need a special tool if its that style????....if you know what i mean?

any help much appreciated!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Hulk Smash!

Status
    Fronts just push back, rears need to be wound back.
    Its possible to do it using a g-clamp to hold preassure on the piston, then twist with a screwdriver though.

STANDARD S3 (225bhp)

Status
    thanks mate i thought it may be like that on the rears,il have to try struggle along then and see if your method will work,as my bruv is doing it with me and he has lent this tool to his mate that is the one for the job....owell im sure i will manage
    thanks again mate for your reply

Ross_S4

Status
    What is the reason for screwing in the rears?
    I have done the fronts but still have the rears to do see.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Rears are threaded as they act as a self adjuster for the handbrake.

TBH, the best way to wind the pistons in is to use a brake piston winding tool... You should be able to get one for around 15 and will save you potential headache...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

5th Gear

Status
    Guys, is this easy to do? I'm not a complete numpty when it comes to mechanics, but I've never changes discs/pads myself before. Mine need doing soon so if I can do it myself I'd rather that than pay someone else to do it for me.

I'm not modding, I'm improving

Status
    Doc, I was a total n00b on this, but once a friend bobbed over to do my old Renault brakes, I realised how stupid I had been. Best thing to do is search for your specific car (forums, Google etc), read and have the guides on hand when you do them. They are almost as simple as unbolt, new stuff on, done.

To be honest, it's the same with all mechanical and electrical bits and bobs, which is why I have the upmost respect for people, like Badger, who have gained so much knowledge over the years it must be almost leaking out of their ears!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Guys, is this easy to do? I'm not a complete numpty when it comes to mechanics, but I've never changes discs/pads myself before. Mine need doing soon so if I can do it myself I'd rather that than pay someone else to do it for me.
    Id say simple one of the most basic jobs you can do, then again its often the little jobs that end up takin the longest and run into unforseen problems!, dont worry mate it will be easy job for you

6th Gear

Status
    @ the OP

make sure you clean those damn slider pins

6th Gear

Status
    i changed my rear discs and pads last week. Dont mess about with screw drivers trying to wind the pistons back their probably be stiff and your end up not being able to complete the job without the piston winder. Top tip for getting the
    securing screw out the disc, use a slighty oversized philips screwdriver use a hammer to give it a few taps so its tight and snug it should free the screw without causing any damage to the screw head.
    2002 Dolphin grey S3 - Sym2+bose, heated leather, ally mirrors, R32 ARB's with superpro, Jabba stage 2 map, TFSI coils, Samco TIP, Forge DV & privacy glass

2010 Green Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R - Akrapovic baffleless race can, LED cluster & HID's

wanted for 8L S3:
    Unmarked grey rear bumper panel
    Milltek system

5th Gear

Status
    Thanks guys, gives me more confidence to do it myself. I'm pretty mechanically minded & dare I say it not stupid (no responses needed on that point thanks!) but there's always that "what if...?" question in the back of my mind.