Why did Audi make it so difficult to change bulbs in the headlight cluster?

I think some people remove the bumper to remove the headlight don't they? My friend done mine with just his hands, he had to pull really hard though! I know what you're saying Westle, hardly any space in there. The driver side isn't too bad, but the battery will defo have to come out on the passenger side as it makes it so much easier!

I fitted my Led side light last month and the passenger side was easy after I removed the batttery and I was able to get the driver side one out just but almost breaking my wrist try a pair of neddle nose pliers should help and its worth it if your fitting the LED side lights!!!

My front indicators have turned white... so think ill need to remove my headlights soon :(

Stop been lazy and take the bumper off.

It is a right pain in the **** but I managed to do both sidelights without removing anything, I found that you can actualy get hold of the wires going to the sidelight 'Holder' and give it a bit of a pull with a fair amount of pressure. It will eventualy pull out!

Cheers Matt

So no twisting involved just a firm tug on the wires! I'll get them LEDs in tomorrow. I'll try and find a midget with tiny hands :)

well maybe a bit of a wiggle aswell!:icon_thumright:

Sidelights are easy like hoggy said, its the main bulbs etc that need the bumper off lol.

The first time i tried to change my sidelights they would not budge! I was at it for ages! Got a bit emotional and gave up, next day they flew out no swearing either!

Damn I wish i knew that they just popped out iv just got the feelin back in my finger tips lol!!!

;i found it pretty easy to be fair,tight fit i must say but pull the wires and a little wiggle should do the trick. cut all my hands up though :(

The main bulbs are easy to do the difficult ones are the side lights! Did mine on friday, bit of a twist and pull, no need to take the bumper off :)

i fitted hids to mine without removing the bumper, LED sidlights was not to difficult either tbh.

WTF who the hell takes there bumper off to change a ****** bulb :s

I have managed to change both sidelight and headlight bulbs without removing any other part of the car, it was fiddly as hell and took a short while but taking battery out and removing bumper, you lads are nuts!

I have a confesion I removed my battery and put it back in the wrong way and conected it back up I thought the car was gonna be finished but it was just fused from the compartment above the battery I was shittin my pants!!!!

WTF who the hell takes there bumper off to change a ****** bulb :s

I have managed to change both sidelight and headlight bulbs without removing any other part of the car, it was fiddly as hell and took a short while but taking battery out and removing bumper, you lads are nuts!

here here!! lol

i changed my side lights a couple of weeks ago was a bit of a pain had to remove the battery, getting them out was not to bad just a lil tug but trying to get the new ones on was a it more tricky but not imposible.

This is probably a bit late now, but I asked an Audi technician how to do this when fitting LED sidelights. He said "take hold of the wires, pull them so they are taught and then push down with your other hand, they just pop out". I couldn't believe that he was telling me to pull on the wires, and had I done this with my Clio it would definitely ended in tears, but it worked! Did it again tonight as decided to run without side lights (colour match).

Where do you get the LED side lights from? Would like to get a set and have a go at tug-of-war with mine!

Last edited:
This is probably a bit late now, but I asked an Audi technician how to do this when fitting LED sidelights. He said "take hold of the wires, pull them so they are taught and then push down with your other hand, they just pop out". I couldn't believe that he was telling me to pull on the wires, and had I done this with my Clio it would definitely ended in tears, but it worked! Did it again tonight as decided to run without side lights (colour match).

No it's normal, I tug on the wires in both my Passat and S3 when changing them, prefacelift headlights are a lot easier. :)

Just got the bulbs out to find that the LEDs I bought don't fit back through the hole! How annoying.

Can someone point me in the direction of some led sidelights that will fit the S3 without throwing up a light.

Just got the bulbs out to find that the LEDs I bought don't fit back through the hole! How annoying.

Can someone point me in the direction of some led sidelights that will fit the S3 without throwing up a light.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250565427057

I have bought a few sets of these in the passed for varying applications. They fit my Audi sidelights but are very tight but work fine. Tip: when you change them in the future, make sure you pull very slowly. The LEDs fitment into the holder is nice and tight, but I could foresee someone tugging on the wires too hard and too quickly and loosing a bulb inside of the lens/headlamp. I have not come close, but I have been wary of the tight fitment.

eBayISAPI.dll
combine04

combine04
BTW, 1W LEDs are very bright, this is a picture with just the sidelights on;

photo-18.jpg

Gynaecologists are used to having much more room to work in than there is in under the bonnet of an S3

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250565427057

I have bought a few sets of these in the passed for varying applications. They fit my Audi sidelights but are very tight but work fine. Tip: when you change them in the future, make sure you pull very slowly. The LEDs fitment into the holder is nice and tight, but I could foresee someone tugging on the wires too hard and too quickly and loosing a bulb inside of the lens/headlamp. I have not come close, but I have been wary of the tight fitment.

eBayISAPI.dll
combine04

I lost one of mine inside the headlight its still there!!! ill have to try and extract it!

I had a go at it a while ago, cut both my hands up, got peed, moved the whole inside of my headlamp unit, then put it all back together again and didnt bother with it!!!

However, I might have another go and see what happens.