Ghost chips???

I

imported_YOGi

Not really ghosts but i heard that you can get an engine remap that is completely untracable by a computer or a person! Is this true, if so im very interested. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Who can do these re-maps?

Thanks YOGi

Not completely untraceable but your average Audi Stealer wouldn't be able to detect most remaps with their standard diagnostics kit.

[ QUOTE ]
garethj said:
Not completely untraceable but your average Audi Stealer wouldn't be able to detect most remaps with their standard diagnostics kit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so...
Any dealer with the diagnostic gear can immediately tell it's been re-mapped by monitoring the requested vs actual boost levels.
You can do this with either the Bosch official gear or a VAG Com. It's not rocket science.

If your local dealer wants to shaft you by proving it's chipped - they can / will.

Normally however, they make so much money on warranty stuff that they are known to not look very hard to see it it's chipped.

Don't be fooled into thinking you can't detect an 'undetectable' remap...
With the car at standstill the extra boost won't be evident, or if you can return it to stock boost levels (APR, REVO etc) but if you have it chipped and leave it chipped, they can tell.

Just to back up what Ess Three said, I had this reply from Revo when I asked the very same question:

The only way to detect it in VAG COM would be to datalog certain blocks, for example if you were to look at requested boost or MAF values it would be obvious that the car is non-standard.
It is by no means invisable, although it is undetectable to current dealer diagnostic equipment... unless datalogged in performance mode.

The only option I think to make it truly undetectable is to use the Dual System technique or AmD's One-click method (When it comes out for the S3/A3).

Using this method you can completely remove the "chipped code" and replace it with the "original map". The code gets downloaded to a dongle type effort and your original code gets copied back to the ECU.

Sounds good in theory.
Rich.

[ QUOTE ]
StephV6 said:
what about NA engines?

[/ QUOTE ]

More difficult, but not impossible. I wouldn't have thought that many dealers would check the na cars, the gains are small and therefore consequential increased wear is small. I suppose you could cross reference ingition timing, injector duty and suchlike, but the changes will be quite subtle, and probbably inconclusive.

[ QUOTE ]
StephV6 said:
what about NA engines?

[/ QUOTE ]

Same rules apply I think. The new mini (NA) can be tuned using the one-click device. Take a look on AmD's website and look under Tuning...Mini

Cheers
Rich.

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
More difficult, but not impossible. I wouldn't have thought that many dealers would check the na cars, the gains are small and therefore consequential increased wear is small. I suppose you could cross reference ingition timing, injector duty and suchlike, but the changes will be quite subtle, and probbably inconclusive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on Dave...

The obvious differences are maximum ignition advance used at a pre-determined rev point...but you have to REALLY know what you are looking for, and as you rightly say, the differences are so subtle that it will hardly be conclusive.

No surprise really...you only get 5-10 BHP gain from modern NA chip-tuning.