squeel at start up

zeeeebo

Lifes one big laugh
Reaction score
any ideas what it is? i think its the starter motor not realeasing properly?
if it is any idea how much a new one is and how easy is it to fit

basicaly the noise occurs after the starter motor has done its job and the engine does the first turn over (basically as soon as you stop turning the key a second after it will make the noise)

Prob the fan belt, easy test is spray some WD40 on it, if it goes away then it need tightening

surely the fan belt wouldnt do it on demand at start up? it never does it any other time also is a very unique sound

Its because its cold and maybe because the extra draw of power, im not sure, but i bet it is the fan belt. As i said its an easy test so no harm in trying - i bet everyone else will diagnose the same so prob best to get that one out the way first although we could try another way - how about I think its the ignition module, the starter motor and perhaps the bottom end, change all of those first and then hopefully it will go :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
hahaha ! its been doing it since i got the car last july but its starting to annoy me now! i replace the bottom end first and then let you know lol!

on a serious note which one is the fanbelt? is it the belts to the left hand side of the engine?

i think ill have to take a video though as the nouise is alot louder and less squeeky than a fanbelt, sounds more like a metal spining thing that slips or somthing! hard to explain

Starter motor solenoid sticking on mate. Common as muck problem with the VAG 1.8 T starters.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2269482&page=1

This is a DIY fix thread for this problem. My ld starter used to do it. Being a cheapscate I spent a whole £25 for a used one on ebay! Problem solved!

This is the description of the fault from that thread 'The VW Starter motor has a history of sticking in the start position. This is usually indicated by a loud griding noise following engine start. The noise is usually more pronounced as the weather gets colder. It is caused when the sliding gear train gets stuck and is oversped by the flywheel, and then kicked back into its proper position. Click on the link below in order to hear what this grinding noise sounds like.'

There is also a sound clip!

did you write the haynes manual welly as you seem to know everything! if i ever meet you i ow you a few pints with the amount of times you have helped me out and saved me alot of time! still havent put the new turbo on yet though! gopt all the parts now though! just need to wait for a sunny day! but will let you know how it goes!

I know the noise - I don't know if you've seen 'Good Morning Vietnam' - but there is a bit when Forrest Whitaker (Edward Garlick I believe his name was in the film) pick Robin Williams up off the plane at the start, he turns the key when the engine is running and it makes a horrible noise - obviously because the engine is running. If you haven't seen it, watch it!! :)

That's the noise it will be. It's the same principle - starter moter is briefly staying engaged once the engine is started....

Lol great analogy, but I have no idea what you're on about lol.

I only asked as the OP said a squeel, but it changed to a metalic grinding noise halfway thru lol

Thats fair enough dude, but I know what he means. It's so high pitched it sounds like a squeel and a gring all at the same time. Its such a hard noise to explain!

It's f**kin annoying though!

lol sorry mike! i couldnt find a word to describe it with people knowing what it sounded like! i still would describe it as a squeel but a very loud heavy one haha!
your input was muchly appreciated either way as you replied in under a min!!

lol no problem mate, next time you smell a funny smell let me know (hang on that didn't come out right lol)

If you want to test the fan belt don't use WD40! Spray a little bit of water on it, if the squeel stops then comes back when the belt dries go and buy new tensioners. WD40 will stop the squeel and diagnose the problem, but then you have a belt covered in slippy, slippy grease...

Sure its not the secondary air pump or whatever it is?.

My car does it in the cold and the squeel is the leaky pump...its VERY common.

If you want to test the fan belt don't use WD40! Spray a little bit of water on it, if the squeel stops then comes back when the belt dries go and buy new tensioners. WD40 will stop the squeel and diagnose the problem, but then you have a belt covered in slippy, slippy grease...

Or talc powder.....

WD40 is not grease, its for displacing water (hence the WD bit) it also cleans and yes it lubricates, but if the fan belt is correctly tightened then it won't slip anyway.

anyway this point is mute as the problem is resolved.

FYI if ever you've been to a rolling road and you've seen them get wheelspin, guess whats sometimes sprayed on the rollers to stop it :p

I think I had this problem on mine a couple of weeks ago.
Started the car... 'EEeeeeeEeeeEeeeeek-Eeeeek-EeeEeeeeEeeeeek' - (also car wouldn't go in to gear?) switched car off!
Tried to start car again, wouldn't turn over.
Tried the car again, worked fine.

Since then i've had a metallic rotating/rubbing noise on and off (various degrees of volume) and a bit of squealing too...
Bizarrely the noise sometimes stops when you switch off the climate control or stereo?

Does this sound similar, or could my problem be something else?
Cheers.

My last car which was a Lupo GTI used to make this little squeel noise lol sounds emabarrasing! I was told by many people it was the starter motor sticking and it sounds exactly like what you're talking about.

js150 - i think yours sounds slightly different, it is literally a noise that lasts a second if that! but yer it is embarasing! it doesnt do it everytime but probably about 95% of the time! embarasing if your at a meet or trying to pull a bird and you start your car up and it makes a noise like a dead hedgehog! haha

[video]http://www.facebook.com/v/352490671275[/video]

there is a video of what mine sounds like! and before anyone says, i know im out of washer jet fluid haha

Js1500, yours sounds like mine did when my alternator pully seized.
Zeebo, Yours is 100% the starter staying engaged. or a worn gearbox bush (which is also a common one)