Oil Catch Tank

Danny Cawsey

Cawsey
Reaction score
Hi guys ive been through a few threads to see how to fit an oil catch tank, found a couple but not really that clear,
could anyone explain what pipes go where and the best place to fit it to, id like it on show really but i see most people plant it under the battery cover,
is this the only place it can go?
p.s it a forge tank and im putting it on a 1999 s3

id personally fit it just before the PCV although i think some have got rid of all the pipes before the PCV and blocked them up..... your call really.....best asking Dani how he did his

Ok im here lol.

The best place to fit a oil catch tank is after the the rocker cover connection and before the Tip... So really you want to plumb the PCV, None return valve etc etc into the catch can and then the catch can into the Tip, simple.

Its upto you if you want to remove the PCV valve etc as for me it did nothing, a few say it acts as a non-return valve but when i tested mine it didnt do anything apart from pass air (im referring to the black mushroom fitting just in case) didnt hold pressure or stop anything been blown or sucked through it (tim no dirty jokes, i know what your like lol).

cheers for that dani ordered the catch tank today so sould be here next week,
will proberbly keep the pcv valve then if it doesnt do anything by removing it.

Dani you know me better :p

the PCV if working correctly will act as a one way valve which means you could be losing a bit of air from the TIP Dani...... when i fit mine im plumbing between the pipe entering the PCV so that the PCV remains free of oil (will replace the PCV at the time)

what did you do, fit two 90's to the original pipes and reduce them for the tank?

Yes i do mate haha.

Nar, loads of the SCN guys of done it and it never felt down on power when i fitted it or now tbh.

No didnt reduce, the catch can i got had some silicone tubing supplied so cut two pieces and placeded them onto the oil catch can connections then just slid the silcione tubing over them. Worked a treat.

To catch oil thats dumped into the TIP then blown arouns the boost hoses etc by the turbo.

It releases the pressures built up, its an extension to a crank case breather, when running higher boosts engines sometimes breathe heavy (anyone with a cossie running 350brake will testify to this) therefore you sometimes get oil being blown out the breathers, a catch tank is there to......... catch it lol.

id have thought at WOT the pcv would be open anyway to make sure there was no pressure in the crank case... in fact a vacuum in the crank case is a good thing, apparently helps the rings seal. i think in some class of drag racing in the states they even have vacuum pumps for the crank case to acheive this, ive see dyno plots showing the gains

so in theory the PCV will be a good thing based on your scenario Matt? as it will be pressure sensitive meaning it will hold pressure to a certain level before the PCV releases this into the TIP....... by pressure sensitive i mean the pressure would have to be at a certain level before the PCV opens

anyone got any pics of one fitted on an 8L and also a good place to source reasonably priced ones??

Check my build thread mate, although its been on hold for about 6 months or so due to funds lol.

i always thought ebay but am gonna google them tonight....to be fair they are only £25-£30 anyway off the bay, just need to choose your design...im not sure i want one with its own breather personally

Dani...what size are the original pipes that you need to tap into to connect the tank...and where did you get your connections from?

Nar i didnt want one with a breather on, thats why i got the toyospport one.

Think the pipes are 19mm but dont hold mw to that.

19MM is plausible, thats the same as my golfs breather system.

unfortunately you wont find many catch tanks with connections that size without paying stupid money. i got lucky, there was a guy doing one offs and i got one for £30 or so.

im not sure how your PCVs work. on the cars ive have a lot of involvment with, the PCVs have been manifold vacuum actually ie pcv shuts at high vacuum, when the throttle is closed

the pcv has to allow airflow at WOT.

dunno mate...all i know is the PCV valve is at the end of an array of pipes which stem from the rocker, the bottom end and another inlet..... it is a manual shut valve which opens when excess pressure feeds through.....obviously into the TIP

id guess it requires a certain pressure to open it as any manual item would