Chris NottSky Insurance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My other cars a mk2 Golf GTi

Status

Ł1028.12 for some replacement discs and pads :-(

I've currently got some Mov'it 322mm brakes on my S3. There awesome brakes, but I nearly had a heart attack when I got a quote through to replace just the discs and pads, Ł1028.12! Not quite sure what to do as this is a ridiculous amount of money! Here’s a breakdown of the prices:

Mov’it 322mmx32mm (not 330mm) discs/hats Ł340.00+VAT each. Mov’it 4s3 pads Ł160.00+VAT a set.
    Shipping Ł35.00+VAT. Total inc vat Ł1028.12!

They need to be shipped from germany too, bet the postage cost will be a lot too!

Unfortunately QS Tuning (notoriously expensive) are the only official UK importer of the brakes. Anyone have any ideas how I can save any money?

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Flog them on ebay and buy some AP's

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    I concure... my 330mm 2 piece kit with calipers etc and DS2500 pads cost much less than that... the AP calipers I got (and are still available) from ebay will also work with 323x28mm LCR discs so much cheapness on replacement... pads were around Ł100...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

6th Gear

Status
    sell them and depending on your power output, go back to 312mm brakes

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    Tufts what was the overall cost for you including the brackets from Bill?
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Black FZ6 - Turbo car 'slapper'
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Ermm... can't remember exact prices but here goes..
    Calipers from Ebay - Ł325
    Brackets - Ł120 a pair + vat
    Caliper bolts - Ł20 for 4 + vat
    DS2500 pads - Ł99 a pair + vat
    Braided hoses - Ł50? a pair + vat

Then a choice of either 330x28mm 2 - piece (Ł300 ish per pair + vat for the rotors, Ł120 per pair + vat for the bells and Ł30ish + vat for 2 sets of AP bolts to bolt hem together) or Any LCR 323x28mm disc from Ł120 per pair ish? up at a guess

Cheapist option is the 323mm tbh and I would have gone that way myself if I hadn't seen the 2-piece stuff over at Bill's as I am a tart

Works out around Ł665 + disc choice... (and Bill's postage of course)

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    cheers fella

I'm not modding, I'm improving

Status
    Tuffty, how much difference have you found the bigger brakes provide? My car is standard and will remain that way apart from a remap. So not exactly mega mega power. Would you suggest just going for decent disks and DS2500s, with standard calipers?

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Sell me your wheels and buy yourself new brakes with the money.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JD09 View Post
    Tuffty, how much difference have you found the bigger brakes provide? My car is standard and will remain that way apart from a remap. So not exactly mega mega power. Would you suggest just going for decent disks and DS2500s, with standard calipers?
    Unless you plan to track your car or go for extended spirited drives on your favourite road, big brakes are not needed on an S3... they do look good though.

4th Gear

Status
    I guess when you buy expensive parts for your car the price of the upkeep of them is gonna be a lot to!!!

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    JD that is the consensus...... Tufts replaced his due to the large turbo conversion...... the set up you mention is highly regarded the best set up for a none BT S3, unless your planning on doing some serious track work?

most that change just want the bling..... still too rich for me on a car this age, standard OEM pads/discs are ample for my spirited drives, depends what you want though, if your likely to be braking from high speeds often then upgrade, if like me you give yourself plenty of space to brake then standardw ill be fine

5th Gear

Status
    im having a similar problem with my ecs stage 5 brake kit, contacted ecs directly to get replacement discs and pads and they emailed back asking for a photo of the brakes on my car as proof that i actually have them?! that pee'd me off so went to awesome gti, they are having problems with ecs sending incorrect stock, crappy communication etc and they are actually considering not dealing with them anymore, and that leaves ony one uk supplier, venom motorsport who i have not yet contacted

dont really want to sell the kit as i only need discs for the stage 1 rears and pads all round so shouldnt cost much but how hard can it be, i mean seriously!!

so if anyone here has the stage 5 fronts or stage one rears please help lol

1st Gear

Status
    I have the 323x 28 LCR grooved discs, DS2500 with the AP's off ebay coupled with the newly scubbed in Vredestein ultrac sessanta rubber and I am very very happy, put it this way I saw a sleeping police man late the other night and initially thought sh*t there goes the splitter, stopped way before by about a foot - friends tell me I should have a warning on the back of the car so other drivers dont plough into the back if you brake hard.

Even the pins and backing plates for the AP's are cheap around 20 pounds for 4 pins and 2 plates.

Chris

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    so could you use standard OEM discs with the AP's tufts? whats the diff between S3 and LCR discs?

Howdy

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Sell me your wheels and buy yourself new brakes with the money.

I was just going to say the same thing!

LMs = Mmmmmm, tasty.

Edit: Does anyone else think Mov'it is a bit of a daft name for something designed to stop you moving?
    2001 Audi RS4 2.7 Bi-Turbo - Nogaro Blue

1975 MG Midget 1500 - Tahiti Blue

2003 Audi S3 - Dolphin Grey; SOLD!

Status
    I don't intend to do any track days with the car (although I do have an Audi day in April :D). The current brakes stop me just fine, not exactly bombing it around! I know the rears are on their way out, so will replace those with the upgrades at the same time as the fronts need doing.

My other cars a mk2 Golf GTi

Status
    Cheers for all the replies, think I’m going to send Bill an email, see what kit he can sort out. Would like another two piece set, they do look awesome! The AP kit for the S3 was about Ł1500, so would cost more than just replacing the discs and pads on my current set up. I did consider going back to standard; I couldn’t bring myself to do it though!

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Sell me your wheels and buy yourself new brakes with the money. [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/p0039619/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
    Ha ha, it took me AGES to find a decent set of genuine LM's at a not too ridiculous price! There’s no way I’m selling them any time soon! It does make parking much more difficult though, I keep them as far away from curbs as possible!
    Last edited by Olly P; 17th February 2010 at 12:19. Reason: I need to learn to spell!

Neutral

Status
    im having a similar problem with my ecs stage 5 brake kit

dont really want to sell the kit as i only need discs for the stage 1 rears and pads all round so shouldnt cost much but how hard can it be, i mean seriously!!

so if anyone here has the stage 5 fronts or stage one rears please help lol
    Just been having the same problems with ECS. Managed to get them to send some front discs for my stage 2v2 fronts after the last ones were seriously cracked. Cost me Ł486 in total (Ł80 of which was import tudy). Then bought some Boxster ds2500's and standard S3 ds's for the rear (stage 1).

You should be able to just buy any pads for a Cayenne for the stage 5 fronts, and any S3 pads for the rear (stage 1 uses standard S3 calipers on larger discs).

As for the discs, unfortuantely you're at ECS's mercy as they are completely custom. If you do get some though, make sure you only get the grooved ones as the drilled are rubbish!
    Last edited by Piester; 17th February 2010 at 13:04.
    Currently running a MTM stage 1 map, ECS brakes, Forge DV, Bager 5 TIP, 18" RS4s, Bilsteins, H&R springs, Tie bars, Milltek catback... but not for long...

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    I don't intend to do any track days with the car (although I do have an Audi day in April :D). The current brakes stop me just fine, not exactly bombing it around! I know the rears are on their way out, so will replace those with the upgrades at the same time as the fronts need doing.
    all depends what you want, my backs will need doing soon but theres no mileage in paying for uprated items, especially for the backs...... id consider the fronts if i was likely to do hard braking continously, the OEM items are great if you only need them once and can allow them to cool for 1 or 2 miles after, i wouldnt trust them braking from say 100mph to 30mph then accelerating back to 100mph then having to brake again - like you would on a track

Status
    Makes sense lad, guess it is just what prices places charge for OEM stuff.

Howdy

Status
    It does make parking much more difficult though, I keep them as far away from curbs as possible!
    Can't blame you for that! Lovely wheels those.
    2001 Audi RS4 2.7 Bi-Turbo - Nogaro Blue

1975 MG Midget 1500 - Tahiti Blue

2003 Audi S3 - Dolphin Grey; SOLD!

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1animal1 View Post
    so could you use standard OEM discs with the AP's tufts? whats the diff between S3 and LCR discs?
    Std 312mm S3 discs won't work as they are too thin (25mm IIRC), min width for the AP's is 28mm (30mm max)... std EBC LCR replacements are Ł75 on Brakes 4 U (Bill price matches these btw) and Bill has a selection of 323mm LCR discs anyway...

For the record, S3 discs are 312x25mm and LCR are 323x28mm

<tuffty/>

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Tufty what ET wheels do you need to clear your brake set-up?
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    Makes sense lad, guess it is just what prices places charge for OEM stuff.
    yup exactly, although i pay rock bottom trade so that helps...id defo never buy less than OEM as on my A3 i tried several brands and none worked half as well fella

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Piester View Post
    Just been having the same problems with ECS. Managed to get them to send some front discs for my stage 2v2 fronts after the last ones were seriously cracked. Cost me Ł486 in total (Ł80 of which was import tudy). Then bought some Boxster ds2500's and standard S3 ds's for the rear (stage 1).

You should be able to just buy any pads for a Cayenne for the stage 5 fronts, and any S3 pads for the rear (stage 1 uses standard S3 calipers on larger discs).

As for the discs, unfortuantely you're at ECS's mercy as they are completely custom. If you do get some though, make sure you only get the grooved ones as the drilled are rubbish!
    yer ecs are a total waste of time
    being emailing sarah at awesom gti and they have a load of ecs discs in stock which they were sent wrongly so im going up there to see if they can match me up a pair for the rear (plus geo and dyno run whilst im there)

loads of pads for cayenne on ebay but unsure which year/model to choose etc

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani_B19 View Post
    Tufty what ET wheels do you need to clear your brake set-up?
    Good question... I did post about this in my build thread but I have 2 sets of OEM wheels, 17x7.5" ET32 Avus and 18x8" ET33 RSTT. The RSTT wheels hit the calipers without spacers but the Avus 'just' clear but not enough I would feel happy with... I have 10mm spacers on the front of my car so its a non issue as far as I am concerned for me but whatever the 'correct' ET may be, this is also influenced by the wheel design as both the AVUS and RSTT should sit about the same but the Avus have a flatter and thinner spoke design to the RSTT (not the width of the spoke but its depth) and this may have contributed to it a tad...

If you are in the market for brakes then I would just get them and space accordingly, they are still a bargain and bloody good stoppers..

Those who are interested then I am not sure how many AP calipers the guy has left so I would advise getting in touch pronto.. here is the ebay link (again) ;P

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=250455042455

<tuffty/>

2nd Gear

Status
    The whole concensus that you should uprate the brakes because you uprate the power cracks me up.

Unless i'm very much mistaken, 70mph is the same if you've got 100 horsepower or 500 horsepower.

I can understand uprating them if you use if for track days or the like but for everyday driving most brakes are more than capable and any advance will only bring the abs in quicker, which will increase the braking distance anyway

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    agreed to an extent as your not exactly adding weight........ just an assumption that your gonna beast the car more

It's all in bits

Status
    Compbrake do 320 X 32 rotors @ 125 each - not sure what 2mm difference would make or whether they would fit your bells, but they do bell and rotor combinations for 400.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE GTR View Post
    The whole concensus that you should uprate the brakes because you uprate the power cracks me up.

Unless i'm very much mistaken, 70mph is the same if you've got 100 horsepower or 500 horsepower.

I can understand uprating them if you use if for track days or the like but for everyday driving most brakes are more than capable and any advance will only bring the abs in quicker, which will increase the braking distance anyway
    The argument above also holds true with respect to suspension, taking a corner at 50 with 500 bhp is the same as with 100 bhp. However the consensus is also to uprate.

Uprated brakes will provide better feel allowing for more accurate modulation, add to this reduced fade and you achieve a significantly more consistent and controllable braking system. You can therefore reduce the chance of ABS kicking in due to a misjudged stab on the pedal.

As a result any hike in power becomes more accessible since you trust that you can shave off the extra speed now attainable due to better acceleration or in the case of suspension that can carry extra speed through a sequence of bends.

In both instances neither is necessary in the same way that getting more power from the engine is not required...

6th Gear

Status
    I thought the movit kits were made using Porsche discs fitted on custom Movit mounting bells. If thats right and you can find out which model porsche the discs come off, that might open up a few more possible suppliers and hopefully bring the price down. I think the calipers may also be rebadged porsche/brembo too, which will mean plenty of options on pads. Obviously Movit arent gonna freely give you that information as they want to make more money off you.
    2007 A3 TDI 170 S Line
    Sold - 2002 S3

6th Gear

Status
    Actually just remebered Silversea over on the TT forum was selling some discs for the Movit kit, not sure if he still has them but might be worth getting in touch with him. I believe they were a spare set he had but he sold his TT and the full Movit kit, he may also be able to point you in the right direction to source pads and discs in the future. if they are as i think porsche calipers they should be loads available including Ferodo DS2500's.

heres a link to his advert

http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/forum/view...&hilit=porsche
    2007 A3 TDI 170 S Line
    Sold - 2002 S3

S3 Drift King!

Status

You think differently once you experience brake fade or try an S3 with better brakes, then you realise how poor the standard setup is, the S3 is a heavy car! They are adquate for road use in all honesty, but uprated pads and disks would be a huge improvement once remapped. The Big brake thing is more 'bling' in my opinion. I have ECS stage1 rears @308mm, and I don't even need them! lol, they just look good.

www.badger5.co.uk

Status

FFS, and you drive at 70-mpg in your skyline too i bet - haha

give std 312mm s3 brakes a hammering on spirited b road and they will fade into oblivion

... and surprisingly not everyone drives to 70mph limit.. go figure - hooligans i tell ya

lol
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Well im wanting todo this brake upgrade later in the year but i need new alloys now so dont want to have to buy twice lol, also i dont want to have to use spacers so would ET 31-30 do?
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

5th Gear

Status
    Olly,

Theres a New set of Movit discs on pistonheads at the moment which might be worth a look?

linky here:http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1440090.htm
    S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8's & Eibach Springs, Neuspeed ARB's (22mm front & 19mm rear).

Badger 5's Machined Discs with DS2500 pads & HEL braided lines.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    FFS, and you drive at 70-mpg in your skyline too i bet
    I wish i could get 70mpg in the skyline

I never really push the s3 because frankly its ****! The handling is loose and steering gives no feedback whatsoever, the traction control is too fierce, even when turned off and to be honest after being used to proper 4 wheel drive cars and RWD the S3 feels far to FWD, but then again i suppose it pleases the masses, but i'm sure anyone who's had anything remotely quick will agree the s3 fall short on most counts except 1, **** me its comfy!

To be totally truthful mines got grooved discs and uprated pads so are not completely std brakes, but i've never found the car fun enough through the lanes to keep up a spirited drive long enough to then feel them fade

6th Gear

Status
    agree with you mike. theres this mentality that as soon as you touch anything under the bonnet you have to upgrade the brakes, in fact you should have bought bigger brakes before you even bought the car

a mate of mine has an a3 1.8t, remap, suspension, arbs blah blah blah and that car was driven hard on b roads all the time but on a decent set of 288mm brakes... no problems, no fade at all.

my s4 with 320 odd bhp and weighs a shed load more than an s3 gets by perfectly fine with 325mm brakes. the pedal decided it would travel a lot further but that hasnt happened since i put decent brake fluid

this forum seems to have de-rigeur mods that everyone has to have and seeing as half the posters are totally clueless about cars they all just follow the crowd like sheep.

2nd Gear

Status
    On the road decent pads are far more important than big discs, and the cost defently outweighs the requirement - however, they do look bling when you've got all the bells and 6 piston calipers

6th Gear

Status
    that sort of info should just be common knowledge

my golf came with cross drilled brakes when i bought the car. i was glad when it came to replace them with normal ones as a) they just attract attnetion, b) its something else you have to declare to the insurance people c) no performance gain at all.

for proper bling, get some of those fake disc hub caps you can get... proper bo!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast