is my chatter standard

dec27871

Reaction score
hiya ppl ive just bought a 2000 audi s3 and i have a sucking noise and chatter when changing gear that comes from my airbox. the car is completely standard from what i can see but just thought id see if this noise was aswell. i checked inside the airbox and the is a standard panell filter.
i have had i fault with the car sinse iv had it and its happend once on a start up (not cold) the revs increased to 1000rpm and then fell and the car cut out this happend twice then on the third time it started fine. there is also tiny little drop in revs every so often on idle to nearer 800 rpm instead of 900rpm say then it goes back up. just thought id see if anyone had any ideas.
chearz guys/girls hope im welcome lol

Welcome bud:)
The poor idle issue could be two things, it's either your maf or your throttle needs a clean, i'd clean the throttle first, very easy to do.

And the chatter could be a sign that your dumpvalve is tired so you could either get a new oem dv or go for a uprated item, forge 007p or bailey dv30.

Hope your enjoying the car so far!

chearz buddy
when you say throttle do you mean the throttle body.
and is it a bad thing that my dv is tired because i do actully like the sound lol
i love the car so far needs lowering though how much do you reacon is a good mm to lower by and wat spacers. alot of people have been saying that it give negative camber is this true.

Yes bud i mean the throttle body, it'll need cleaning from the inside because of carbon/oil build up. A tired dv isn't a good thing, it's actually quite bad really because it could cause damage to the turbo long term.

There are loads of option for lowering, you could either go for the uprated spring/damper set up or coilover, i personally think lowering with springs/damper wouldn't require adjustable tie bars, mine is lowered on KW spring/ weitec dampers and although there is a little negative camber on the rear the wear on the tyres is even.
As for spacers 15mm rear and 10mm front is about right:)

most issues are pipe related on these it seems..
split pipes, causing vac/boost leaks etc
uneven running and idling symptums of this..
the noise you describe sounds like non-functioning DV ... as per other thread further up

mine also chatters but ive upgraded my dump valve to forge one......? is it not normal?

mine also chatters but ive upgraded my dump valve to forge one......? is it not normal?

chears guys i will have a good check at all my pipes to see, is the any common ones that go wrong. when buying a new dv what spring is needed/ best for a standard car.