Lets talk about wipers

Effect

Reaction score
My wipers have pretty much always been like this since i bought the car and I was wondering if it was just my car or an S3 design flaw.

1 - dont wipe properly at anything over 65mph
2 - sometimes start to judder (only fix I have found for this that sometimes works is rain x)
3 - dont alwasy clean the windscreen
4 - above 40ish mph tend to flick water on the screenas they return to rest.

Now I currently have bosch aero wipers on normal wiper arms but even when I had normal wiper blades they did the same.

Your comments would be appreciated.

James.

I rate BOSCH Aerotwin wiper blades very highly. Been using them for a few years now and each set normally lasts for well over a year and fit on to the standard wiper arms, so no need to modify them to get the audi aero-blades on.

You have to get a tissue and wipe the grime off them in really crappy weather sometimes as the particles get between the blade and the glass, but that's common to all wipers. Alternatively, a generous amount of washer jet sorts it out.

The main downside is the 25GBP price tag, but a price well worth paying for blades that do not squeak in very light drizzle, last for ages and work very well.

For a similar price, you can get Valeo flat blades and a mate at work swears by them, but I haven't used them, so can't comment.

My standard wipers were crap but I put that down to my severly pitted windscreen from lots of motorway miles! I had a new windscreen fitted 6 weeks ago and at the same time bought the golf mk4 aero wiper arms and blades and they are now perfect. Not the cheapest option though as a windscreen claim was £70 and the wiper arms and blades (front and rear) came to £130 from VW!!!

you got any pics of your aero wipers westle?
mine are rubbish and always have been im always left with streaks across my screen

Excuse the iPhone pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

damn sight better the pics i put up from my phone mate
thanks might have to invest into some they look much better

I changed the wipers on my S3 for the Bosch Aeroblade ones a week ago and they work really well. I didn't have any problems with normal Bosch blades either.

Were these the one off ebay? twin aero blades? I have some other makes but they don't work too well on the passenger side..

If your going to go for aero wipers make sure you change the arms as pictured! the converter ones (cheap) look really bulky didn't work that well and really annoyed me the whole time they were on the car! cost me about £100 to do the front and back arms...well worth it in my opinion espesh as they are always in your line of vision!

A different problem but also wiper related...

All of a sudden my intermittant wiper setting is now really intermittant. Instead of wiping every few seconds it is wiping once a minute at best, to the extent that there's no point in using it.
Anyone had this problem or have an idea what the cause is?
Cheers.

Westle mate, how secure is your rear wiper arm, its just mine's got a bit of movement to it, not much but a little.

Bosch is the only way to go. And if you have a Halfrauds trade card they are less than half price. Which is a nice bonus.

Anyone know if a mk iv golf r32 has aero wiper arms and blades?
As ive been offered a set for £30 and just want to confirm the arnt going to be standard arms with a retro blade kit.

All of a sudden my intermittant wiper setting is now really intermittant. Instead of wiping every few seconds it is wiping once a minute at best, to the extent that there's no point in using it.
Cheers.

I am assuming you have set the little switch on the stalk all the way to the right and not all the way to the left ?

My standard wipers were crap but I put that down to my severly pitted windscreen from lots of motorway miles! I had a new windscreen fitted 6 weeks ago and at the same time bought the golf mk4 aero wiper arms and blades and they are now perfect. Not the cheapest option though as a windscreen claim was £70 and the wiper arms and blades (front and rear) came to £130 from VW!!!

You just cost me £100 quid mate!! Your pics were enough of an influence that I just ordered the fronts from VW today!

Cheers.

As Effect said... make sure the switch on the top of the right hand stalk is set correctly, left slower, right faster. If thats ok then could be a relay issue maybe?

Ah! I bet I knocked the switch when giving the interior a good clean at the weekend!
I had totally forgotten about that switch since setting it how I like it when I first got the car. D'oh.

I constantly change mine depending on the speed of the rain lol.

As for Mk4 R32 having proper aero wipers I highly doubt it, they will be standard arms more than likely.

picked my wipers up today.
i can confirm golf r32 ones are aero.

Just need to get some end caps, then ill fit them.

Mate the s3 one's will fit.

Dont tell me your guys have been buying end caps! lmao.

I have some cheap aero ones from some online place...cost me about 9 quid each and they're great. Still streak free over a year after fitting :)

I have some cheap aero ones from some online place...cost me about 9 quid each and they're great. Still streak free over a year after fitting :)

I did the same and they were still going strong on my Clio after 2 years + onwards since I sold.

i sell aero blades for the a3 and all hook type blades for 8.50 ea. on ebay, not to sure on the price for the s3

Are you using Bosch aero twin? the one I have are very nice but squeek and I am worried it might scratch the screen so I was wonder how it would compare to yours.

i have used aero twins for the year i have owned my audi, they are now dead so i stuck some of my cheaper blades on, (had them on 1 month now) and i cant fault them,

ok they are not going to last as long as bosch ones and the clips are a little bit bigger

but i can supply them for any audi with a "hook" sytem
2 blades for £14.00

Last edited:
i have used aero twins for the year i have owned my audi, they are now dead so i stuck some of my cheaper blades on, (had them on 1 month now) and i cant fault them,

ok they are not going to last as long as bosch ones and the clips are a little bit bigger

but i can supply them for any audi with a "hook" sytem
2 blades for £16.00

And do these work Josh? Unlike your bulbs and wipers sold on Cliosport???

i would be happy to send out a free set to who ever, if they want to rite up a review? you pay for the p&p

and LED bulbs have a very short lifespan, most people know this, due to the power that they draw, then can flicker, or on some cars not even work.

the bulbs come with a 3 month warentee, if you have any left, send them back mate, i went of cliosport, as the membership ran out, and was not happy to pay another 10 quid.

I had two sets from you, Josh, number plate bulbs and sidelight bulbs. Both sets started to flicker within a month and it took another month for you to respond, let alone send out a second set (which blew within a few weeks). Cheaper ones from eBay lasted 18 months in my hands and are still going 5 months on from selling the car.

I am not going to say any more on the matter but have no intention of buying off you and would advise others on AS to take the same stance.

End of discussion. Sorry to the OP for the distraction!

yet i have had people buying from me for years, i have had great fedback on so many car forums now
oxfordshirecarclub
southcentralcruisers
ukstreetcars

i am sorry that they did only last 1 month i would of been more than happy to take them back, the suppliers i got them from state they where all uk made
have since got a dealer from china the bulbs last a very very long time.

if you have any more trouble mate, pm me.

thats utter b***ocks, LED's draw less current and far outlast normal bulbs.

I got my wipers changed to the bocsh areo wipers they were much better than the ones on the car when i got it but i never knew the wipers were in exess of £100 Whats the world coming to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

thats utter b***ocks, LED's draw less current and far outlast normal bulbs.

yes, they draw less current, hence them flashing, and somtimes not working, they cant draw enough power to cope it, most "new" leds have the correct risisters in them,

check

autobulbdirect for more info on it.

Josh, it's not that they can't draw enough power, it's that they don't draw as much power as standard bulbs.

The only issue people should be having with LED bulbs is if their car's do not recognise a bulb being present and will therefore ping up a warning, or flash indicator bulbs quickly (mimicking a blown bulb warning).

Flashing bulbs or blowing altogether is just bad quality or bad resistors in the bulbs. I.e. cheap or badly made.