Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ALPINE

Thread: fitting boost gauge to my audi a3 turbo

1st Gear

Status

fitting boost gauge to my audi a3 turbo

hi need some help as im about to go for fitting my boost gauge today,need to no were to cut the pipe for the tee also were the wires go i have not got a clue ?

2. # ADS
    ADS

I Love Boost :-)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by audia3turrbo View Post
    hi need some help as im about to go for fitting my boost gauge today,need to no were to cut the pipe for the tee also were the wires go i have not got a clue ?
    Its the pipe that comes off the top of dump valve m8 you want t-piece in

1st Gear

Status
    Hi i have been told its the 1 that comes off the fuel regulator is this not corect ?

flat out if in doubt

Status
    yeah you can come off both.i run mine of the fuel regulator.which ever is easier for you

Yes its diesel, now cry u lost

Status
    I came off the top of my dump valve. you will need to take the wipers off, lift up the scuttle tray. and run your pipe through the little rubber blank found on the black box on the drivers side of your car. remove the lower dash under your steering wheel to get to the pipe. im sure there a guide on here some where but its not a 10 min job.
    Paddya3turbo likes this.

Now to many mods to list! Lots of power, torque and Leather!

1st Gear

Status
    hi have fitter this today,i run the wire through a rubber grommet just tot he right of the engine bay at the bottom took the wire through to the middle of the car as i have put it in my middle heater vent looks good atm will upload picture later,do u thing runnging the wire the was i have could melt and do any of u use clips to make sure it stays on,also when i put my foot down it will only go upto 10psi i have a pannel filter and a amd remap dose this sound right also i have a forge 007p rec dump valve and also using the yello spring,should i be using the green or yello spring,if any body could help me with this would be greatfull cheers lewis

Neutral

Status
    I believe (correct me if i'm wrong please) that stock boost pressure is 8psi? and to change that you need to buy a manual boost controller? but i could be well wrong so i'll wait for somebody more experienced to come along before i part with any hard earned lol.

Lifes one big laugh

Status
    what does bar convert to bar? is it 10psi to 1 bar?

-AUDI A3 1.8T-
    coldside dumpvalve relocation kit/powerflow exhaust/k+n shielded air intake/ JOM coilovers/forge splitr/forge carbon fibre engine cover/soild flywheel conversion/REVO

Neutral

Status
    10 psi is equal to 0.68 bar.
    8 psi is equal to 0.55 bar.

Yes its diesel, now cry u lost

Status
    mine boosts at 10 psi spikes a@ 11. mines standerd as far as i know :S Hmmm!

Now to many mods to list! Lots of power, torque and Leather!

1st Gear

Status
    hmmmm whats going on then mine is a 1.8t 150 bhp standard remaped to 205.8bhp

Neutral

Status
    It may well be 10 psi then, just had a feeling it was 8. I think a manual boost controller would allow the boost to be upped considerably but which one to get and where it actually goes i have no idea. I'm picking my car up on Tuesday and already have a shed load of things for it. hopefully after fitting all the bits and bobs i will have a better understanding of where things are under the bonnet. Then maybe i'll see about where the boost controller goes.

Unless anybody already knows and would like to fill me in?

1st Gear

Status
    dont use a manual boost controller. remap your car and it will boost higher, 18psi i think.

Neutral

Status
    Booking it in at revo as soon as i have got it. guess that removes the need for a manual boost controller then. The boost gauge should then reflect the added boost correct?

Testing dodgy Chinese gear...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dela View Post
    dont use a manual boost controller. remap your car and it will boost higher, 18psi i think.

This is engine dependent.

If it's a small port head - yes. Big port like the AGU which this engine is likely to be at that age - no.

My REVO stage 1 map on my AGU would only see a MAX of 15 peak, which tailed off quickly due to the size of the inlet ports combined with a small turbo.

I use an R Spec under bonnet manual boost controller to control boost levels. It's OK on an AGU within reason as the ECU manages fuelling based on air flow through the AFM. It sees more boost and will fuel for it in accordance. However, take the boost too high and the engine management will find all sorts of interesting and fun ways to stop you caining it. I tried 18 PSI to start and it went scatty. 14.5 - 15 PSI on mine is the charm!
    Last edited by Welly; 15th February 2010 at 10:51.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Wellyboots, you are quite literally my most favourite pikey in the entire world

Testing dodgy Chinese gear...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jays Audi Turbo View Post
    Its the pipe that comes off the top of dump valve m8 you want t-piece in
    This is where I'd pipe a boost gauge to also. I've always been reluctant to pipe ino the FPR pipe, as any leaks there means that your fuelling can be off.

Which is bad.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Wellyboots, you are quite literally my most favourite pikey in the entire world

Neutral

Status
    how do i determine which engine i have? i know its 150bhp 1998 a3 1.8t? guessing its not the big port, that would be too convenient. Any chance of a link to where to buy a manual boost controller?

1st Gear

Status
    do i conect the tee to the wire on top of the boost gauge on the dump valve

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JDover View Post
    how do i determine which engine i have? i know its 150bhp 1998 a3 1.8t? guessing its not the big port, that would be too convenient. Any chance of a link to where to buy a manual boost controller?
    Hi mate you can just type it in on ebay there is a vast selection on there but dont buy the brass homemade ones , not saying they dont work or anything but just saying that it is so much cheaper to make yourself i think they will cost around £8 but they sell for 15-18. Anyway there is so many on there that are made properly and are not too pricey so i would have a look on there if your on a budget.

2nd Gear

Status
    Your engine will be a agu mate