fitting boost gauge to my audi a3 turbo

audia3turrbo

Reaction score
hi need some help as im about to go for fitting my boost gauge today,need to no were to cut the pipe for the tee also were the wires go i have not got a clue ?

yeah you can come off both.i run mine of the fuel regulator.which ever is easier for you

I came off the top of my dump valve. you will need to take the wipers off, lift up the scuttle tray. and run your pipe through the little rubber blank found on the black box on the drivers side of your car. remove the lower dash under your steering wheel to get to the pipe. im sure there a guide on here some where but its not a 10 min job.

Reactions: Paddya3turbo
hi have fitter this today,i run the wire through a rubber grommet just tot he right of the engine bay at the bottom took the wire through to the middle of the car as i have put it in my middle heater vent looks good atm will upload picture later,do u thing runnging the wire the was i have could melt and do any of u use clips to make sure it stays on,also when i put my foot down it will only go upto 10psi i have a pannel filter and a amd remap dose this sound right also i have a forge 007p rec dump valve and also using the yello spring,should i be using the green or yello spring,if any body could help me with this would be greatfull cheers lewis

I believe (correct me if i'm wrong please) that stock boost pressure is 8psi? and to change that you need to buy a manual boost controller? but i could be well wrong so i'll wait for somebody more experienced to come along before i part with any hard earned lol.

what does bar convert to bar? is it 10psi to 1 bar?

10 psi is equal to 0.68 bar.
8 psi is equal to 0.55 bar.

mine boosts at 10 psi spikes a@ 11. mines standerd as far as i know :S Hmmm!

It may well be 10 psi then, just had a feeling it was 8. I think a manual boost controller would allow the boost to be upped considerably but which one to get and where it actually goes i have no idea. I'm picking my car up on Tuesday and already have a shed load of things for it. hopefully after fitting all the bits and bobs i will have a better understanding of where things are under the bonnet. Then maybe i'll see about where the boost controller goes.

Unless anybody already knows and would like to fill me in?

dont use a manual boost controller. remap your car and it will boost higher, 18psi i think.

Booking it in at revo as soon as i have got it. guess that removes the need for a manual boost controller then. The boost gauge should then reflect the added boost correct?

dont use a manual boost controller. remap your car and it will boost higher, 18psi i think.

This is engine dependent.

If it's a small port head - yes. Big port like the AGU which this engine is likely to be at that age - no.

My REVO stage 1 map on my AGU would only see a MAX of 15 peak, which tailed off quickly due to the size of the inlet ports combined with a small turbo.

I use an R Spec under bonnet manual boost controller to control boost levels. It's OK on an AGU within reason as the ECU manages fuelling based on air flow through the AFM. It sees more boost and will fuel for it in accordance. However, take the boost too high and the engine management will find all sorts of interesting and fun ways to stop you caining it. I tried 18 PSI to start and it went scatty. 14.5 - 15 PSI on mine is the charm!

Last edited:
how do i determine which engine i have? i know its 150bhp 1998 a3 1.8t? guessing its not the big port, that would be too convenient. Any chance of a link to where to buy a manual boost controller?

how do i determine which engine i have? i know its 150bhp 1998 a3 1.8t? guessing its not the big port, that would be too convenient. Any chance of a link to where to buy a manual boost controller?

Hi mate you can just type it in on ebay there is a vast selection on there but dont buy the brass homemade ones , not saying they dont work or anything but just saying that it is so much cheaper to make yourself i think they will cost around £8 but they sell for 15-18. Anyway there is so many on there that are made properly and are not too pricey so i would have a look on there if your on a budget.