power steering fluid check help

m.dub

Reaction score
just a quick question when is it best to check the power steering fluid on my s3?

iv had a random whine coming from under the bonnet when turning left so i checked the power steering fluid and it was well below min but i did this when the engine was cold, is this a valid measure or should i check it when warm.

thanks for the help..........

Abbreviated extract from Haynes manual.

btw it's normal for the steering to whine on full lock when parking etc

1. Turn the front roadwheels to the straight ahead position without starting the engine. If the vehicle has been left standing for an hour or more, the power steering fluid will be cold and the cold level markings must be used, however if the engine is at normal temp the fluid will be hot so use hot level markings.

2.if the fluid is cold it must be in the hashed cold area indicated on the dipstick. if hot must be between the hot min and max lines

thanks for the reply

unless i missed it there only seems to be a max and min mark and it doesn't seem to have a separate indicator for hot or cold il have another check to make sure but I'm pretty certain.

just checked and your right thanks mate can put my mind at rest now cheers

You're welcome, if you do top it up, don't get it on your skin it's nasty stuff!