Tips for colouring in climate control buttons?

Y83OLK

Hulk Smash!
Reaction score
Hi all.
As i was getting quite anakl with replacing worn switchs/ buttons in my s3:
* Ive sourced a new headunit with no worn buttons.
* Fitted a new headlight switch with no wear.
*Fitted a new gearknob with new scratches.

However, the fan speed button of the climate control is still worn, however i dont fancy replacing the unit?.
Has anyone coloured theres in? paint/ sharpie/ permanent marker?.
Can you replace the buttons/ do they pop off?

Callum

I would be interested to know this as I am about to replace all the buttons you have mentioned. Would you mind me PMing you about prices for headlight/radio button replacement?

EJD09... Ebay lol, i upgraded to a concert II for the radio so still have some good buttons on my chorus if you require.
Cost me just over 200 for all of the above i think.

Great to hear, just phoned Audi and been quoted 86inc VAT for the light switch. I'll PM you now about the buttons, many thanks.

you cant get replacement buttons unless you buy the unit whole, or find someone with a set they removed & have spare. I ve used touch up paint in the pas (matt black)

you cant get replacement buttons unless you buy the unit whole, or find someone with a set they removed & have spare. I ve used touch up paint in the pas (matt black)

Yes I believe so. Shame, because it is clearly something that happens to most S3s. You can actually replace the bottons when you have spare buttons, but like you say Matt, you have to buy another unit first. Could then just sell the second unit on again/your old one.

Alternatively cut up some tape in the shape of the worn button signs and apply permanent marker to the whole button then remove the tape after the marker has dried. Make sure that the buttons are immaculately clean prior to do doing this.

EDIT: I will post some pictures tomorrow as I have been meaning to do this for a while.

Last edited:
Ill send you a pic over the weekend JD, when i get my car back.
That sounds like a good plan 9099, stick some pics up when youve done it, think im going to use a sharpie as a temporary measure.

hope the tape doesn't pull more of it off

I've found that using permanent marker to try and touch things up before has just made it look worse, as most black marker pens seem to dry more of a purple type colour. It’s worth a go though I suppose if there’s no other fix.