8L S3 Black Grill De-chroming

The Challinor

Reaction score
Website
www.businessguysit.com
Hi guys,

I know this probably has been posted everywhere over this forum but i cannot find a definite answer anywhere. I'm thinking of a black grill to replace the silver surround on the front bumper.

Can the chrome surround be removed or do you have to remove the whole grill? - how can this be done ?

Can you buy the black grill or do you just get your silver one sprayed? or buy 1 from Audi as a backup while being sprayed ?

Thanks Guys and Girls !

Remove surround with a flat blade screwdriver, start in the corners. Sand down silver as much as possible just to get a rough surface, then spray with as many coats of black paint as possible because it will stone chip badly after a while.

Alternatively you can do what I did and get a bodyshop to paint it the same colour as the car:

attachment.php

I don't think it looks any better, it does look different which is why I think people do it. You've gotta ask though if the S3 had a black grill as standard would everyone want a nice chrome one?

Thats a fair opinion and your right it can make it look a bit dated and they do look evil with the black grill, I was just putting the question out there. I have colour coded grills before on other Vag cars but wont be doing it to my S3. I think the chrome does look more classy.

Remove surround with a flat blade screwdriver, start in the corners. Sand down silver as much as possible just to get a rough surface, then spray with as many coats of black paint as possible because it will stone chip badly after a while.

Alternatively you can do what I did and get a bodyshop to paint it the same colour as the car:

attachment.php

Yer that's nice man, that is something I'm after. Looks really smart, mines yellow with black rims so the black grill would look smart I think. Been looking to buy 1 but cannot seem to find 1 for sale, don't feel 2 confident doing it myself so if I do get it done - body shop is the way to go.

Personally think that looks superb . . . but only because the car's paint is black to match. I personally think black grill on a red/yellow/blue car etc, won't suit.

But only my opinion ;)

It is a perculiar colour isn't it? Almost like acid yellow on the Clio V6;

d0102529_04745.jpg

Yer, just looks odd on the car - It's a diffrent shade to the Clio above, I seen the new Clio Renault sport in that colour and the megane, think that suits it well

In the colour of the Audi, yeah. The new Meg and Clios are Liquid Yellow.

/ex Clio shitbox owner.

Personally think that looks superb . . . but only because the car's paint is black to match. I personally think black grill on a red/yellow/blue car etc, won't suit.

But only my opinion ;)

Thanks very much but how dare you call my car black! It's ming blue :no:

The red S3s look very good with black grill surrounds. You need to see some pics of S3GAV's red S3 and you'll want to do your grill straight away.

Thanks very much but how dare you call my car black! It's ming blue :no:

The red S3s look very good with black grill surrounds. You need to see some pics of S3GAV's red S3 and you'll want to do your grill straight away.

Oooh, ******, sorry! :sorry:

Here you go mate.

GreyS34.jpg

abit off topic but what size wheel spacers are on your car? it looks the nuts the wheels sit perfect in your arches

i completely agree mate

edit: i don't agree then lol
imo i wouldnt have any other wheel i think they suit the car perfect

Last edited:
Well since this has become a show off your de-chromed front grill thread, lol, heres mine!

71e6c567ebcb029b99213ff51283a4ca5g.jpg

Reactions: Django-
my computer has packed up im on my ps3 lol it won't let me put pics up can you get apic from the show your car sectio?

thanx

Hi I know I might sound like a chav but I was not sure about the black surround so instead of painting it and then realising I didn't like it I got a roll of black electricle tape and started to apply it. 5 min later it was done and it looks realy good so I will soon be painting it just in the middle of re-painting the wheels in avus silver. Good luck with your grill it will look good eitherway

ok ok, i know its only a "look down your nose at the 1.8T" but why not spray the whole lot black?? i have had nothing but complements since i sprayed mine

SDC10714.jpg

it looks de-badged from a distance and makes the car look a whole load more aggresive.

before
DSC00174.jpg

after
looks beter in black imo
mycarbaby002.jpg

mycarbaby009.jpg

damn ure car looks awsome!, its the lowered look and the black grill. love the black and red :D

abit off topic but what size wheel spacers are on your car? it looks the nuts the wheels sit perfect in your arches

It's not my car dude , that one has 19" RSTTs and I agree looks one mean mofo with that stance.

damn ure car looks awsome!, its the lowered look and the black grill. love the black and red :D

thanks mate that grill completely changed my front end i love the way it looks right now

It's not my car dude , that one has 19" RSTTs and I agree looks one mean mofo with that stance.

thought they looked bigger than mine might have to me some lol