EM TuningSky Insurance
    6th Gear

Status

Modded S3 resale value

Was wondering what your thoughts are on how much or if the resale price of an S3 is affected by modifications
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

2. # ADS
    ADS

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Well mods dont really affect the values, unless you chav the f*** out of it, it just narrows down your resale market.
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

I'm not modding, I'm improving

Status
    I looked for a totally standard car and think I actually paid the same amount of money as a newer car with a load of mods (circa 8k).

Mods would put me off as it shows the car may (MAY to those modders out there) have been ragged. My old Clio was heavily modded and went for the same price as a newer standard model, but only because the mods were exterior styling mods. But I pushed the poor 1.2 (17-23) big time.

Remap, fine. Lowered suspension. Hmmm OK. But most other mods I would have stayed clear of.

Standard is the new modded

S3

Status
    Depends on the mods, power and suspension mods increase the value (though not by as much as it cost to install the mods in the first place obviously) but as Dan says, it narrows your potential market. Mods to the bodywork usually lower the value. Ive never really understood people who will only consider standard examples, as you're saving a shedload of money buying a car that has already been modded. Unless you're looking to buy a classic car.
    Last edited by vetch; 11th February 2010 at 13:08.
    Audi S3

Status
    I wanted a completely standard model so I could start it as my own. Baring in mind a large proportion of people buying an 8L are likely to be similar to myself i.e. younger, looking for a car that is within their price bracket with power, but still OK to insure and a good basis (4x4, turbo etc).

I discounted most modded cars for insurance reasons, but mainly for the peace of mind that it is less likely to have been ragged. But all IMO of course.

Missing the S3

Status
    All depends on the mods, if I was looking at buying another S3 I would consider modified, but would also want to see a documented service history thats whats really important. If decent parts have been used I'd see it as a plus (i.e brembo gt, billies, HR springs, adjustable tie bars, uprated arbs) but mods will not add much if any value, the S3 is getting old now so reg, millage and condition is what will really set your price.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1chopper View Post
    All depends on the mods, if I was looking at buying another S3 I would consider modified, but would also want to see a documented service history thats whats really important. If decent parts have been used I'd see it as a plus (i.e brembo gt, billies, HR springs, adjustable tie bars, uprated arbs) but mods will not add much if any value, the S3 is getting old now so reg, millage and condition is what will really set your price.
    Couldn't agree more, with the latter part at least.

6th Gear

Status
    Thanks guys, I was wanting to add Mods and then my older brother put a downer on it saying the resale will be adversely affected. Dont plan on selling anyway
    Alex S3 AMK

Status
    What mods were you thinking? I am only looking to do three things. Remap, S-Line wheels and an armrest. All of which can either be removed (remap) or sold as standard-ish extras.

S3 Upminster

Status
    I think the comment regarding narrowing your resale is true, I immediately discounted remapped cars when I bought mine. People who are not knowledgeable about what a remap is (i.e. me) would think the car has had a hard time. I think some companies (Revo etc) now do a switch where you can revert the mapping...I'm not sure how the cost of this compares to revisiting a software installer.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JD09 View Post
    What mods were you thinking? I am only looking to do three things. Remap, S-Line wheels and an armrest. All of which can either be removed (remap) or sold as standard-ish extras.
    remap, suspension, wheels, FMIC and DV

My car is a replica of yours, same colour, alloys, mirrors and interior
    Last edited by Alex C; 11th February 2010 at 18:35.
    Alex S3 AMK

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    i think its a bit narrow minded beliving a std car is less likely to have been ragged around then a well modded car, i mean a well modded car and not a bodykitted pile. people who do benificial mods generally are enthusiasts who want the best out of the car and the car in general is normally pretty tidy 'mint' mods dont indicate it has had a hard life to me obviously its not had the easiest of lives but if looked after correctly it wont have had much damage sustained internally, suspension mods are great as the old 8-10year old knackered stuff is bined and replaced with a year or 2 old stuff.
    i always spend loads modding my cars and selling for around same as std i could take all the stuff off but i built the car to be as it is so leave it for the new owner to enjoy. next car will be modded befor i buy hopefully cant keep spending thousands and lossing thousands plus depreciation costs!

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    If I could turn back the clock I would have looked for a modded S3 instead of buying standard. One with suspension, remap, 18" wheels, FMIC, and brakes all done as these are all the things i'm shelling out for now!
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3_kev View Post
    i think its a bit narrow minded beliving a std car is less likely to have been ragged around then a well modded car, i mean a well modded car and not a bodykitted pile. people who do benificial mods generally are enthusiasts who want the best out of the car and the car in general is normally pretty tidy 'mint' mods dont indicate it has had a hard life to me obviously its not had the easiest of lives but if looked after correctly it wont have had much damage sustained internally, suspension mods are great as the old 8-10year old knackered stuff is bined and replaced with a year or 2 old stuff.
    i always spend loads modding my cars and selling for around same as std i could take all the stuff off but i built the car to be as it is so leave it for the new owner to enjoy. next car will be modded befor i buy hopefully cant keep spending thousands and lossing thousands plus depreciation costs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Westle View Post
    If I could turn back the clock I would have looked for a modded S3 instead of buying standard. One with suspension, remap, 18" wheels, FMIC, and brakes all done as these are all the things i'm shelling out for now!
    Exactly what I was going to say,I will add that the suspension on the S3 was wallowy and not up to the job when new so after 8-10 years god knows what it'd be like with some harsh driving.

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    I didn't find the car too bad on my daily route with standard power, suspension, and brakes but when I went to the ring last year it turned the car into a load of crap! It really highlighted the weaknesses of the car. I couldn't take bends at speed without excessive roll, and that's if I was even able to stop in time going into the bloody bend! Dont even get me started on the SMIC heat soak

This year when I tackle the 14 miles of bends I'll have brakes sorted and a FMIC. I'll just have to put up with the excesive body roll for another year
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3_kev View Post
    my thoughts exactly, you can also determine (to an extent) how the car has been treated by meeting and talking to the current owner/seller, ask them some questions specific to the car in question, nothing real in depth but things you would expect a person who gives a crap about what they drive to know, granted some people just aint interested in knowing how a car works but looks after them religously regardless so wouldnt always work i guess :s lol

S3 Upminster

Status
    I'm probably generalising towards people who know nothing about this car and discounting the passion of owners who post here. When I bought mine, I didn't know about this forum, would probably bend the truth to sell a car ( I can hear the hate building!) and I'm certainly not a mechanic. A naive person, i.e. me 6 months ago, would probably shy away from a car that "may" have been pushed harder than a standard car.

5th Gear

Status
    If I was looking to buy again I would buy one that was already modded.

If its running Bilsteins, H&R's etc then its all pricey stuff and its a fair bet the rest of the car hasn't been skimped on.

6th Gear

Status
    I only buy std cars and then mod them my self for one reason...... Do I really know the quality of the workmanship of the person who modified the car before me ? I've seen some absolute shocking examples of cars that, on the surface look nice and have been well modified to OEM+ standards; But when you look under the cover you see how bodged some of these mods are. I found one A4 at a meet, that had a FMIC held together by cable ties !!!!!!!
    8V S3 Sportback with options on order

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by auroan View Post
    I only buy std cars and then mod them my self for one reason...... Do I really know the quality of the workmanship of the person who modified the car before me ? I've seen some absolute shocking examples of cars that, on the surface look nice and have been well modified to OEM+ standards; But when you look under the cover you see how bodged some of these mods are. I found one A4 at a meet, that had a FMIC held together by cable ties !!!!!!!
    you would have to take a look at the car and a good look at that to make sure the car is well maintained and not all been done by fred in his shed but its still no reason to shy away imo

Flat Oot like a ducks Foot

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westle View Post
    I didn't find the car too bad on my daily route with standard power, suspension, and brakes but when I went to the ring last year it turned the car into a load of crap! It really highlighted the weaknesses of the car. I couldn't take bends at speed without excessive roll, and that's if I was even able to stop in time going into the bloody bend! Dont even get me started on the SMIC heat soak

This year when I tackle the 14 miles of bends I'll have brakes sorted and a FMIC. I'll just have to put up with the excesive body roll for another year
    You mean you have the money to take it to the ring once a year, but not to sort out the handling??? No offence but i reckon your priorities are all wrong...
    ...... Waiting Paitently...