Engine Bay

Danny Cawsey

Cawsey
Reaction score
want to tidy up my engine bay,
thinking about getting carbon plastics and a full samco or forge etc hoses but not sure what colour to go for...
could anyone who has pics of there engine bay post up some pics to help me decide...
cheers danny

no hoses yet, but simple and very cheap, and a very big enhancment of the bay imo.
SDC10712-1.jpg

SDC10711.jpg

Cost me a new inlet mani gasket and a bit of time!

hope this helps you a little bit mate.

PS, What colours your car?

looks good, car is black would like to upgrade to some brembos in the future when ive got a bit more money so was thinking red might be the winner..
plus the v5 turbo badge is red.

yep, im going red, said i was going do go another colour after i had red hoses on my scooby, but i think they look the nicest.

Being black your pretty much open to what ever colour ya want.

good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
I spent an age smoothing my engine cover and painting it gloss black, then did the rings silver and the text in red...took ages but I like how it looks :)

3775260002_4bcd045868.jpg

3775258172_4c20ec1ff7.jpg

Inlet mani is going to get crackle coated black some time soon :)

T

that looks smart tom, i was gonna gloss black mine but thought better of it.. wish i did now it looks nuts!
Edit: infact, its comming off tomorrow. let the rubbing down commence! lol

Last edited:
my a3 quattro turbo with k04 setup s3 inlet larger injectors forge hoses
DSC01089.jpg

It took an age to do, about a week!. Lots of sanding with a D/A and then loads of coats of high build primer and then lots of wet sanding between coats of gloss black. Then its onto the text and badge....faff!!. Flatted it all and then added about 7 layers of clear...flatting between coats. Right PITA but I refused to pay big bucks for a bit of plastic!. Think it ended up costing me about 30 quid (and my fingertips!)

T

nice, it does look very nice i must say. And i know what you mean about painting the text, thos rings are a mission!! shame im gonna have to do them all again!! As i said before, the night i started the cover i looked at the couple of rattle cans of hi temp black gloss and thought better of it, thought maybe it would be ott! Obviously it does not! I may try somthing different now, i wouldnt want to be seen as copying you but i should of deffo painted the whole thing!! Its ok til it gets covered in finger prints! lol

Gets his thinking cap on... Cheers for the insperation!

nice, it does look very nice i must say. And i know what you mean about painting the text, thos rings are a mission!! shame im gonna have to do them all again!! As i said before, the night i started the cover i looked at the couple of rattle cans of hi temp black gloss and thought better of it, thought maybe it would be ott! Obviously it does not! I may try somthing different now, i wouldnt want to be seen as copying you but i should of deffo painted the whole thing!! Its ok til it gets covered in finger prints! lol

Gets his thinking cap on... Cheers for the insperation!

Mate if you want yours gloss then do it gloss, doesnt bother me if its the same as mine!. I was thinking of other colours to do mine but just kept on coming back to black as anything else on a silver car (imo) would look a bit pap. Make sure you do the lower cover around the dip stick too though!. Its not too bad for finger prints either, nothing a cloth and some quick detailer wont shift anyway :)

T

some nice bays here.. i think im going to go with red and try and get as much as i can polished,
s3 kev did u polish ur intake mani and boost pipe ur self or gte them done by someone els if so whats the price?
they look really good.

done it myself, took a while but was worth it :)

loving that engine cover as always Tom...... really wana do mine....just a note, id prob go silver for the inlet mate, otherwise you may have too much black?

what type of paint did you use and where did you source it......

right im going to take my boost pipe and intake mani off this weekend and polish them up, is there anything i need to know about taking the inlet off,
or is it a just straight off job? going to order some red hoses and forge polished caps, then will make all the plastic bits (covers) in carbon as i work with the stuff everyday.
will post up some pics when done.

right im going to take my boost pipe and intake mani off this weekend and polish them up, is there anything i need to know about taking the inlet off,
or is it a just straight off job? going to order some red hoses and forge polished caps, then will make all the plastic bits (covers) in carbon as i work with the stuff everyday.
will post up some pics when done.

just watch the breathers underneath the intake mani bit fragile can split an the hose on the fule pressure reg same

i would replace the gasket whilst its off as i did. and clean your TB. Remember to remove the air temp sensor out the inlet as these are very delicate! There is a hidden bolt the the left of the oil dip stick that you cant see unless you look for it! (1.8t) The oil dip stick is very fragile and i snapped mine. (£3 form Audi) and as someone has said, the breather under the inlet. Mine was already split, but try not to break it as there £23 plus vat from the stealers!

other than that its a bit of Pi55.

P.S, when my inlet was off i litterally gave it a bath, i used about 3 tins of brake cleaner on the inside of the inlet, altho it looked clean the skank that came out of it was amasing! after all that graft tho, it looks good and runs a whole lot better to!

loving that engine cover as always Tom...... really wana do mine....just a note, id prob go silver for the inlet mate, otherwise you may have too much black?

what type of paint did you use and where did you source it......

Its just Halfords car paint mate :)

I got through 2 cans of high build primer (again Halfrauds), 2 cans of gloss black and 3 cans of clear....and a shed load of wet and dry....right up to about 1200 grit. The paint for the text and rings was just red model paint and metallic silver....topped off with a couple of coats of clear on top of it :)

I'm still undecided on the intake mani, might go black for the stealth look or just leave it as is as its not actually very dirty yet :)

T

Im on may way now just ordered A forge Cold Side Valve Relocation Kit, A forge Silicone Induction Hose, forge Upper Silicone Boost Hoses, forge Alloy Strut Top Covers,
forge Alloy Oil & Water Filler Cap Covers and a forge oil catch tank with fittings, now just got to wait till Saturday to polish up the intake mani and pipes ready for parts to arrive.

That looks good mate :)

I'd be very happy with that.

Too cluttered for my taste, but that's because I'm lazy and wouldn't be bothered to clean it all. Unfortunately 1.8T engines are ugly to look at for the most part. Perhaps better to hide it all under a cover.