Which Engine - S3

g60leigh

Reaction score
I have bought a 2001 S3and am going to collect it tomorrow.
just wondering before I go and get it if there is a way of telling which engine version it has either from the chassis number or visually from a photo of the engine top?

thanks guys

or you can check the sticker in the spare wheel well..... it has a KW figure that will identify the engine type, altho cant rem which the BAM is :)

AMK = 210, BAM = 225

Largely academic to be honest, no attributable differences that a remap won't cure... If its the right car don't be put off by the fact its got 15bhp less if its an AMK..

<tuffty/>

just undo 2 x clips on the top engine cover and lift slightly to see the engine code... clear as day...

<tuffty/>

Do you have any part of the V5 docs?

Should be part of the engine number... also be able to tell by CO2 as well, 210bhp(AMK) is 224 co's and BAM is 226 co's IIRC...

<tuffty/>

no getting it all tomorrow
I have the VIN number as I got it to perform checks on it, have the reg and V5 doc number and issue date along with date the car was 1st registered
I am wondering if it is a 210 bhp or 225 bhp model.

Tufts the label in the boot shows a KW figure...ie not 225 or 210...its more like 167 or in that region (cant be ***** to check)

Tufts the label in the boot shows a KW figure...ie not 225 or 210...its more like 167 or in that region (cant be ***** to check)

Pretty sure the label says the actual engine type as I remember seeing BAM when I was looking under there earlier today.

86007 if you txt your reg to this number it will give you the cars spec from the factory

86007 if you txt your reg to this number it will give you the cars spec from the factory

Will it tell you anything like factory fitted options?

This is what it says on the website;

You receive one message about model and value, and one message about performance:
exact make and model
colour
date of registration
new price (ex options)
average current value
average mileage for age
total cylinder capacity
engine horsepower
torque
acceleration (0-60 mph)
top speed
average petrol consumption
weight
CarSpotter is not a subscription service. If you text a registration number to 86007, CarSpotter sends you a maximum of two text messages costing £1.50 each. Maximum total cost £3.00, plus the charge for the use of your mobile phone.

G60leigh, if it's not too late, send me your reg no and I can tell you what engine code you've got.

Phone up your local audi dealer and give them the reg or vin number they will be able to tell you

you bought a car not knowing which engine it has or basically didn't care ?
So basically, from reading above you are saying there are no differences between the 210 and 225 engine apart from the 15bhp ?

2 cars being equal in every respect apart from engines, would have the 225 engined higher in price.

So basically, from reading above you are saying there are no differences between the 210 and 225 engine apart from the 15bhp ?

Yep, pretty much. Obviously there are small variations across the 4 different engines that they put in the S3s, but nothing that really matters. Maps were the main difference with the BAM.

Not to hijack the original posters thread,

AMK or BAM

Does it really matter? Both have a facelift and from reading the forums, both AMK and BAM electronic VVT. Only difference is 15bhp....:noway:

you would want the latest car if it was in budget...im guessing you have an AMK

thanks for all the help
I have the AMK
yeah I bought the car without knowing which engine type it was as it had all the spec etc I wanted and I think I got a good price