APY Head Gasket. DIY??

Welly

335D Driver :-)
Reaction score
Right then, head gasket change....

How hard (obviously I know it's not easy - but how hard as far as head gaskets go)?

Also, how hard are the 1.8T engines to time up?

I removed my S3 engine for the first time and would say it was easy just loads of things to unbolt

So a head gasket is very easy, I got a Mk5 Golf haynes manual that has a 20v Turbo engine just to give you a better idea on how things come off

I removed my S3 engine for the first time and would say it was easy just loads of things to unbolt

So a head gasket is very easy, I got a Mk5 Golf haynes manual that has a 20v Turbo engine just to give you a better idea on how things come off

you say its easy then ??

i sure dont
its a pain in the **** to do

far easier out of the car than in

good luck welly

changing the head gaskets sre a pain in the **** on the 1,8t i agree with badger5 would be easier with the engine out but even easier would be to set fire to the car claim on the insurance an buy a new one less stresfiull this way only joking dont really set fire to your car even though u might feel like it once uve started doing the head gasket good luck

It'll all be fine..... positive mental attitude.... Bottom line is that it's got to be done! :(

And don't temp me with ideas of fire.... :eyebrows:

Just be methodical removing the ancillaries etc and you will be fine... no point in rushing it as you have to fight through all the stuff in a confined space to get to the head...

I think I have a few pics on my build thread of the engine in various states of undress when I removed the head on mine...

Good luck :)

<tuffty/>

Just be methodical removing the ancillaries etc and you will be fine... no point in rushing it as you have to fight through all the stuff in a confined space to get to the head...

I think I have a few pics on my build thread of the engine in various states of undress when I removed the head on mine...

Good luck :)

<tuffty/>

Cheers dude! :)

hi

me and a mate have just taken the head of my apy s3, i was quite surprised with how well it went, think it took us 3.5 hours to take the head off, the main ball ache for us was removing all the little pipes and everything to actually be able to get to the head, we just lablled everything and took plenty of pics.....not looking forward to putting it back together tho lol!

you need a special tool for rmoving the head bolts we modified a torques bit to removed them but ive ordered the proper tool for refitting them...available at euro car parts.

Same here dude, took mine off last night without too much drama. Not too bad all in all, just fiddly and irritating at times!