S3 Coolant Flush

Ian W

Reaction score
Thinking of flushing the coolant and having a crack at changing the stat tomorrow if the weathers ok.

Where is the best place to drain the coolent from on the S3, bottom rad hose?

Never flushed anything with aircon before, any different to a regular non aircon car ?

How much G12 would I need, got a 1 litre bottle somewhere - would that be enough?

I usually stick a flushing agent in for 20 mins or so, then pop the bottom rad hose off before sticking a hosepipe in the res.
Aircon makes no difference.
1ltr wont be enough, i think mine took around 3 1/2 mixed 50/50. Not sure though as i filled up a bucket and used a pressure bleeder.

If you are just changing the stat you don't need to flush. You'll only loose a very small amount during the change.

If you want to though - there is a tap you can attach a drain hose onto on the bottom off side connection on the radiator. To flush fully you should disconnect and drain the oil cooler separately - according to Mr Haynes anyway.

Thanks for the info.

I want to flush it as its not been done for over 10k

I'll get hold of some more coolant mix then and do it in the next few weeks.

i flushed mine when i first got it and my mate said to use dish washer tablets, i thought he was having a laugh but no, they really do the job properly!!

get the non biological ones so they dont go all bubbly in the system, crush two up and pop them in your header tank, drive around for ten or fifteen mins get up to full temp and drain, honest to god they work better than any flushing agent ive ever used, inside of my coolant hoses are like new, brought alot of the crap out of my header tank too!!

i drained my by removing the bottom hose on the rad coming from the stat, easy to get at ;)

i needed 2 bottles of g12 to refill