Volks AutosAH Fabrications
Results 1 to 38 of 38
  1. #1
    marks-krazy-s3's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    20

    Cool Remove recirc valve

    has anyone removed the recirc valve any advise?

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Westy's Avatar
    Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cambridgeshire sometimes Hertfordshire
    Posts
    17,283
    What, removed it to clean? Removed to upgrade?

    It's easy mate, just undo the crappy clips with a pair of pliars (you'll need jubilee clips to replace them) and take the thing off.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread







  4. #3
    marks-krazy-s3's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    20
    sorry mate i mean removed it completely and run the car without it?

  5. #4
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,607
    Don't... simples... If you have to ask why then especially don't....

    <tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  6. #5
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,607
    Recirc is there to dump boost pressure built up in the charge pipe system to prevent compressor stall (aiding performance) which puts a strain on the turbo's shaft and can cause it to snap in two especially on a small turbo like the K03/4

    Recirc if different to a normal dump valve as if dumps the the air back into the intake system (hence recirc) as this air has already been measured by the MAF and dumping this to atmosphere (such as the crappy Spilt-R for example) will cause running problems on the engine.

    If you still want to remove it I would advise selling your car and buying a car without a turbo as it will be less expensive to repair when you blow it up

    <tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  7. #6
    Prawn's Avatar
    My other car is a MINI!!!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    9,382
    A little OTT perhaps tufty, although the general point of it is sound enough.

    Removing the recirc won't do THAT much harm to a standard car.

    The reality is, that outside of enthusiast ownership, just about every A3 and S3 in the country it running with a split DV that's not actually doing any recirc-ing at all. the majority of these can be problem free for many many thousands of miles.

    I'm not saying it's a good idea at all, we all know it's not. But if you insist on wanting to remove it, to gain that daft 'wastegate' sound people so wrongly call it, then who are we to stop you?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

    But I know nothing so ignore me.

  8. #7
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,607
    I don't think so... removing the DV serves no purpose.... The fact you even suggest it won't do 'THAT' much harm suggests you accept the possibility it will...

    Sorry if I am coming across a little harsh but I have seen too many cars that have been 'modified' to the point they don't run right or even at all by people who just don't have a clue.... Any mod that isn't compensated by changes to ECU software in someway (when it can't compensate for itself that is) is not a good thing to do as it serves no purpose at all...

    Air within the charge system is travelling at a fairly high speed and is also under pressure... closing off the throttle valve gives this no where to go and will stall the compressor wheel causing stress on the compressor shaft which is particularly small...

    Removing the DV does nothing but reduce the reliabilty of the engine... so why do it...

    Any BOV/Atmos type DV replacement is at best pointless and at worse it will just make the car run badly... the ECU has already calculated the fuel required for the air it has measured through the MAF... If some of the measured air is bleed to the atmosphere then the engine will run rich... while this may not cause any immediate problems, it can cause misfires and such in extreme cases...

    Soz to bang on but the DV is there for a reason, its a closed system designed to run using a recirculation valve... DV's and BOV's are there to protect the turbo....

    <tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  9. #8
    Broken Byzan's Avatar
    Photographic Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cardiff, United Kingdom
    Posts
    12,523

    My Social Networking

    Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    I suppose even a BOV will vent the air somewhere to prevent compressor stall, remove it completly and its 2 part shaft time simples

    Removing it is turbo suicide IMHO


  10. #9
    marks-krazy-s3's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    20
    wow that is exactly what i said to my mate who has been banging on about the recirc valve removale will enhance the sound of the wastegte , but my argument was that it is there for a reason and removing it may make the wastegate sound louder but will harm the engine if it is not there , thanks for your responses guys that has confirmed my suspicions!

  11. #10
    Westy's Avatar
    Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cambridgeshire sometimes Hertfordshire
    Posts
    17,283
    Depends what wastegate sound you're after? BANG is not a sound I'd like to hear
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread







  12. #11
    marks-krazy-s3's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    20
    lol yh def bang is not a good sound at all !

  13. #12
    MIKE GTR's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WICKFORD, ESSEX
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by tufftybloke View Post
    Recirc is there to dump boost pressure built up in the charge pipe system to prevent compressor stall (aiding performance) which puts a strain on the turbo's shaft and can cause it to snap in two especially on a small turbo like the K03/4

    <tuffty/>
    Are you talking from experience or something someone told you?

    The last part of that sentance, to put it politely is errrr ******! A dump/recirc valve is more of a necessity on a larger turbo, simply because of the larger volumes of air being moved and the greater forces being applied.

    Your Turbo isn't going to blow up the minute you remove a std dump valve, so don't be scared by internet rumour mongerers. However, it is there for a reason and that reason is to aid durability on the turbo and help reduce spool up times - so in escence yes it does serve a purpose and your best bet would be to remove it for an uprated one that actually works (as being std and old yours prob doesn;t).

  14. #13
    RIP S3dave

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    nr Glos
    Posts
    7,195
    Quote Originally Posted by marks-krazy-s3 View Post
    wow that is exactly what i said to my mate who has been banging on about the recirc valve removale will enhance the sound of the wastegte , but my argument was that it is there for a reason and removing it may make the wastegate sound louder but will harm the engine if it is not there , thanks for your responses guys that has confirmed my suspicions!
    your mate (with all due respect) is ignorent of how things work and his advise is poor
    yes it will make a fluttering sound, cool sound i agree, but when you realise its partly compressor stall and loading on the shaft/bearings is higher, you realise why the manufactuturers fitted them (for reliability)
    BOV will make more woosh, non-functional dv's will cause chatter/flutter noise

    the flutter is inadequate venting of the excess, closed throttle boost.. with dv spool and respool is faster

    advise as already given is dont do it
    your mates an eejit
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

    NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

    Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG


    http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

  15. #14
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    73
    I replaced my dv recently, as the old one had a split and was working incorrectly. I worked it out as i could hear the chatter, but i wasnt easy to hear (windows down uphill on a country lane) so really ask yourself whats the point. Also when i replaced my dv i needed a new maf, not sure how the two connect but a broken dv doesnt give for a happy engine.

  16. #15
    Broken Byzan's Avatar
    Photographic Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cardiff, United Kingdom
    Posts
    12,523

    My Social Networking

    Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE GTR View Post
    Are you talking from experience or something someone told you?

    The last part of that sentance, to put it politely is errrr ******! A dump/recirc valve is more of a necessity on a larger turbo, simply because of the larger volumes of air being moved and the greater forces being applied.

    Your Turbo isn't going to blow up the minute you remove a std dump valve, so don't be scared by internet rumour mongerers. However, it is there for a reason and that reason is to aid durability on the turbo and help reduce spool up times - so in escence yes it does serve a purpose and your best bet would be to remove it for an uprated one that actually works (as being std and old yours prob doesn;t).
    I am with Tuffty 100% on this. The shafts on Garrets etc on cossie and the like are twice the thickness and are strong enough to hold together without a DV or BOV. The k04 etc have very thin shafts and can snap easily from a high speed stall, FACT !! Not scare mongering as you call it.

    I have heard this from more reliable sources than the interweb. The fact the DV aids spool up and durability is another factor to consider.

  17. #16
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,607
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE GTR View Post
    Are you talking from experience or something someone told you?
    I think it came to me in a vision or something....

    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE GTR View Post
    The last part of that sentance, to put it politely is errrr ******! A dump/recirc valve is more of a necessity on a larger turbo, simply because of the larger volumes of air being moved and the greater forces being applied.
    So not any good on a small turbo producing 20psi with a piddly little shaft then? bugger... must let the bloke at VAG know they have had it wrong all these years... maybe they will get in touch for some consultancy work for when they fit a GT35 to an A2

    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE GTR View Post
    Your Turbo isn't going to blow up the minute you remove a std dump valve, so don't be scared by internet rumour mongerers. However, it is there for a reason and that reason is to aid durability on the turbo and help reduce spool up times - so in escence yes it does serve a purpose and your best bet would be to remove it for an uprated one that actually works (as being std and old yours prob doesn;t).
    Plagiaristic contradiction in one paragraph... respect...

    <tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  18. #17
    MIKE GTR's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WICKFORD, ESSEX
    Posts
    366
    Originally Posted by MIKE GTR
    Are you talking from experience or something someone told you?
    I think it came to me in a vision or something....

    Amen to that brother

    Originally Posted by MIKE GTR
    The last part of that sentance, to put it politely is errrr ******! A dump/recirc valve is more of a necessity on a larger turbo, simply because of the larger volumes of air being moved and the greater forces being applied.



    So not any good on a small turbo producing 20psi with a piddly little shaft then? bugger... must let the bloke at VAG know they have had it wrong all these years... maybe they will get in touch for some consultancy work for when they fit a GT35 to an A2

    I had a maram shafted T4 on my old cossie that HAD to have a dump valve, having spoken to the turbo manufactuer at the time he told me what i have stated above

    Originally Posted by MIKE GTR
    Your Turbo isn't going to blow up the minute you remove a std dump valve, so don't be scared by internet rumour mongerers. However, it is there for a reason and that reason is to aid durability on the turbo and help reduce spool up times - so in escence yes it does serve a purpose and your best bet would be to remove it for an uprated one that actually works (as being std and old yours prob doesn;t).



    Plagiaristic contradiction in one paragraph... respect...

    I don't understand the contradiction? I said its not going to blow up immediately if he takes it off, but it does play a role and his best bet would be to buy an new one or uprated one thgat actually works. I know this reading malarky is all new to you but come on, read it correctly.

    My comments weren't on the basis that the dump valve does nothing, it was on the basis that you said "DON'T DO IT COS IT WILL BLOW UP"

  19. #18
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,607
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE GTR View Post
    ...I know this reading malarky is all new to you but come on, read it correctly.
    ...same applies to you mate...

    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE GTR View Post
    My comments weren't on the basis that the dump valve does nothing, it was on the basis that you said "DON'T DO IT COS IT WILL BLOW UP"
    ...I think you will find that if you actually read back through the thread I never actually said those words together...


    right... getting bored with your pedantic non arguments... I clearly haven't a clue what I am on about and I think the OP has enough info here to make a decision...

    <tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  20. #19
    MIKE GTR's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WICKFORD, ESSEX
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by tufftybloke View Post
    .

    right... getting bored with your pedantic non arguments... I clearly haven't a clue what I am on about and I think the OP has enough info here to make a decision...

    <tuffty/>
    I think you'll find I replied giving concise reason for each differenece of opinion with you - it wasn't pedantic non argument. You however, replied with sarcasm, to which I replied in the same manner.

  21. #20
    RIP S3dave

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    nr Glos
    Posts
    7,195
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE GTR View Post
    My comments weren't on the basis that the dump valve does nothing, it was on the basis that you said "DON'T DO IT COS IT WILL BLOW UP"
    The DV does do something... as explained.
    Not difficult to comprehend

    I dont recall anyone saying it would break immediately either, "cos it will blow up" blah blah

    ... and comparing T4 garret with a K04 turbo is pretty meaningless.
    stick em side bby side and its quite obvious how the shafts and seals, thrust washers compare.. IE they DONT

    You might know something about your previous Jap cars, but you are showing quite some knowledge gap on VAG 1.8t so far
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

    NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

    Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG


    http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

  22. #21
    MIKE GTR's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WICKFORD, ESSEX
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    The DV does do something... as explained.
    Not difficult to comprehend

    I dont recall anyone saying it would break immediately either, "cos it will blow up" blah blah

    ... and comparing T4 garret with a K04 turbo is pretty meaningless.
    stick em side bby side and its quite obvious how the shafts and seals, thrust washers compare.. IE they DONT

    You might know something about your previous Jap cars, but you are showing quite some knowledge gap on VAG 1.8t so far

    The blowing up was "IMPLIED"

    The T4 comparison was on the basis of a large MARAM shafted turbo against a small turbo, as the poster had said it was MORE necessary on a smaller turbo such as the K04 - that statement is wrong - it is needed more on a large turbo. However, if what you say is correct about the K04 (and to be honest i somewhat suspect otherwise as turbo failure doesn't seem to be a big issue on high mileage s3's, even those running remaps and higher boost - but i won't argue that point as i don't know from experience) needing to run a dump valve, then surely the advice that I gave - QUOTE "However, it is there for a reason and that reason is to aid durability on the turbo and help reduce spool up times - so in escence yes it does serve a purpose and your best bet would be to remove it for an uprated one that actually works (as being std and old yours prob doesn;t)" is correct, YES?.

    Don't just argue on behalf of your mate, read what I have said

    My experience isn't only of Jap, i've had a variety from a Turbo'd Mk11 astra (using a KKK turbo) an Escort RST (Using GArretts), a Fiesta RST, a Delta Intergrali Evo, Escort Cossie, R33 GTR (Trust) as well as the S3, which has just had a Hyrbrid K04 (damn wish i'd have known how **** they were lol)

  23. #22
    RIP S3dave

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    nr Glos
    Posts
    7,195
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE GTR View Post
    I think you'll find I replied giving concise reason for each differenece of opinion with you -
    It simply WRONG tho.
    the op would do well to ignore your advise to remove the DV
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

    NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

    Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG


    http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

  24. #23
    MIKE GTR's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WICKFORD, ESSEX
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    It simply WRONG tho.
    the op would do well to ignore your advise to remove the DV
    Again read what i have writen, i've never said that

  25. #24
    RIP S3dave

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    nr Glos
    Posts
    7,195

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE GTR View Post
    The blowing up was "IMPLIED"

    The T4 comparison was on the basis of a large MARAM shafted turbo against a small turbo, as the poster had said it was MORE necessary on a smaller turbo such as the K04 - that statement is wrong - it is needed more on a large turbo. However, if what you say is correct about the K04 (and to be honest i somewhat suspect otherwise as turbo failure doesn't seem to be a big issue on high mileage s3's, even those running remaps and higher boost - but i won't argue that point as i don't know from experience) needing to run a dump valve, then surely the advice that I gave - QUOTE "However, it is there for a reason and that reason is to aid durability on the turbo and help reduce spool up times - so in escence yes it does serve a purpose and your best bet would be to remove it for an uprated one that actually works (as being std and old yours prob doesn;t)" is correct, YES?.

    Don't just argue on behalf of your mate, read what I have said

    My experience isn't only of Jap, i've had a variety from a Turbo'd Mk11 astra (using a KKK turbo) an Escort RST (Using GArretts), a Fiesta RST, a Delta Intergrali Evo, Escort Cossie, R33 GTR (Trust) as well as the S3, which has just had a Hyrbrid K04 (damn wish i'd have known how **** they were lol)
    If you read what I have posted it makes sense... the bearings, thrust washer and shaft will see more loads when the DV is not functional or removed.. a lot more side load applied against the thrust washer for example..
    whichever way you look at it its STUPID to remove it.

    You even say yourself
    reason is to aid durability on the turbo
    so you are full of contradictions fella

    To remove one remains very bad advise, which is what you told the Op to do is it not?

    duh!
    Last edited by badger5; 8th February 2010 at 11:09.
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

    NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

    Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG


    http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

  26. #25
    RIP S3dave

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    nr Glos
    Posts
    7,195
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE GTR View Post
    Again read what i have writen, i've never said that
    yea, just re-read it and you did'nt agreed.
    mixed you up with marks eejit friend.. - lol

    my bad
    Last edited by badger5; 8th February 2010 at 11:12.
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

    NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

    Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG


    http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

  27. #26
    MIKE GTR's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WICKFORD, ESSEX
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    If you read what I have posted it makes sense... the bearings and shaft will see more loads when the DV is not functional or removed.. a lot more side load applied against the thrust washer for example..
    whichever way you look at it its STUPID to remove it.

    You even say yourself so you are full of contradictions fella

    To remove one remains very bad advise, which is what you told the Op to do is it not?

    duh!
    Have your read anything I have written? My points were that Tufty was wrong in saying that they are needed more on a small turbo, its larger turbos that generally require them as they move larger volumes of air - fact. Ok you state the K04 is weak, i'll take your word on that, BUT the fact remains its the exception to the rule, you even mentioned yourself that its not as strong as the likes of GArrett (see I read what you write).

    I said removing will not immediaitely blow up your turbo (do we agree on this point?) i said its better to replace it with a new or uprated one that actually works, as his old tired one probably doesn't.

    so, DUH

  28. #27
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,607
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE GTR View Post
    ...as the poster had said it was MORE necessary on a smaller turbo such as the K04 - that statement is wrong - it is needed more on a large turbo....
    The statement was in relation to the fragility of the K04 as opposed to small v large turbos in general... while I concede this may not have been clear, my statement stands... fragile turbos (small or otherwise) are more likely to suffer a failure brought on by an inadequate or non existant means of relieving charge pressure...

    <tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  29. #28
    RIP S3dave

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    nr Glos
    Posts
    7,195
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE GTR View Post
    Have your read anything I have written? My points were that Tufty was wrong in saying that they are needed more on a small turbo, its larger turbos that generally require them as they move larger volumes of air - fact. Ok you state the K04 is weak, i'll take your word on that, BUT the fact remains its the exception to the rule, you even mentioned yourself that its not as strong as the likes of GArrett (see I read what you write).

    I said removing will not immediaitely blow up your turbo (do we agree on this point?) i said its better to replace it with a new or uprated one that actually works, as his old tired one probably doesn't.

    so, DUH
    side by side comparison of T4 and K04 will show relative shaft sizes, compressor wheel sizes and turbines.. night and day different in many respects

    I am not making, nor have made any case for smaller unit needing a DV any more than a larger one, one is smaller shaft with less inertia, one is significantly larger with more inetia, which without DV aiding the throttle shut, pressure spike/comp stall, is high wear on both units respectively.

    DV's are fitted these days to aid reliability. Its fact that without, the units will not last as long for the reasons mentioned

    Fitting a DV which can cope with the duty better is always a good thing. forge piston ones are popular, but functional factory ones, whilst working also do the job ok. (they're just prone to splitting their rubber diaphragm)

    What K04 hybrid did you go for on your S3?
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

    NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

    Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG


    http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

  30. #29
    MIKE GTR's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WICKFORD, ESSEX
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by tufftybloke View Post
    The statement was in relation to the fragility of the K04 as opposed to small v large turbos in general... while I concede this may not have been clear, my statement stands... fragile turbos (small or otherwise) are more likely to suffer a failure brought on by an inadequate or non existant means of relieving charge pressure...

    <tuffty/>
    FAir enough, but my reply was in reponse to this QUOTE "which puts a strain on the turbo's shaft and can cause it to snap in two especially on a small turbo like the K03/4"

    for which I have been refered to as plageristic, naieve and pedantic lol.

    If I remember one statement told to me during an assembly at school it is this "A little bot of knowledge is a dangerous thing" and while I too at times may be responsible for giving out info when i'm not fully aware of the facts or have not had personal experience, it really does irritate me when the internet spouts rumours that are sometimes far from correct.

    This isn't a personal dig, i'm sure i'll need help on some aspect of my car at some point and at no point do i want to alianate the community that could help. Maybe i was a little sarcastic at times and perhaps i shouldn't have used the phrase "******" lol, but hey we all like to get our point across

  31. #30
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,607
    word....

    <tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  32. #31
    MIKE GTR's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WICKFORD, ESSEX
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    side by side comparison of T4 and K04 will show relative shaft sizes, compressor wheel sizes and turbines.. night and day different in many respects

    I am not making, nor have made any case for smaller unit needing a DV any more than a larger one, one is smaller shaft with less inertia, one is significantly larger with more inetia, which without DV aiding the throttle shut, pressure spike/comp stall, is high wear on both units respectively.

    DV's are fitted these days to aid reliability. Its fact that without, the units will not last as long for the reasons mentioned

    Fitting a DV which can cope with the duty better is always a good thing. forge piston ones are popular, but functional factory ones, whilst working also do the job ok. (they're just prone to splitting their rubber diaphragm)

    What K04 hybrid did you go for on your S3?
    I didn't say you had, you pounced on me for saying that you needed them on the likes of a T4 but not on a K04 (i never said anything even remote to this), my comparision was purely on size.

    ONce again!! I have never said take the DV off!!!!!! I have simply said replace it for one that works.

    I have no idea what spec the hybrid is, my engine tuner sent it off for me and arranged for larger compressor - i'll have to find out actually as it would be good to know

  33. #32
    Broken Byzan's Avatar
    Photographic Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cardiff, United Kingdom
    Posts
    12,523

    My Social Networking

    Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    yea, just re-read it and you did'nt agreed.
    mixed you up with marks eejit friend.. - lol

    my bad
    Which Eejit friend, i have loads. LMAO

  34. #33
    RIP S3dave

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    nr Glos
    Posts
    7,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Byzan A4 View Post
    Which Eejit friend, i have loads. LMAO
    marks-crazy-s3 friend

    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

    NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

    Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG


    http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

  35. #34
    RIP S3dave

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    nr Glos
    Posts
    7,195
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE GTR View Post
    I have no idea what spec the hybrid is, my engine tuner sent it off for me and arranged for larger compressor
    who was that?
    turbo supplier that is..

    did you find it made a difference?
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

    NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

    Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG


    http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

  36. #35
    Alex C's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lizard, Cornwall
    Posts
    2,604
    Are you following all this mark?
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

  37. #36
    MIKE GTR's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WICKFORD, ESSEX
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    who was that?
    turbo supplier that is..

    did you find it made a difference?
    Vince at mmmmmm Universal turbos (i think), don't quote me on that though - Not sure about the difference, i get it back today and will prob get the map updated before i give it a good hiding

  38. #37
    RIP S3dave

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    nr Glos
    Posts
    7,195
    be a handy comparison if you had before and after MAF logs, request vs actual boost, etc
    do you have vagcom?
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

    NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

    Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG


    http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

  39. #38
    MIKE GTR's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WICKFORD, ESSEX
    Posts
    366
    Afraid I don't have anything like that, the only reason the turbo got done was because my cambelt snapped and took out 20 valves and 4 pistons, there was a little bit of oil in the turbo and some slight play but through my contacts I managed to get it reconditioned and hybridized for a very good price, so it was worth doing while it was off.

    The S3 is my everyday car, I bought it last dec with only 38k on it and with the intention that it wouldn't cost me anything, I wasn't interested in it being fast or not, but it came with a few bits already on (although it was still gutless) - The skyline has taken longer than expected so its been nice driving this about as its not too chav and not too poncy

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO