Dammit I need more power!!!

AlexStanley

Reaction score
Website
www.alexstanley.co.uk
OK after having to work much harder than expected to out-accelerate my girlfriend's Beetle 1.8T ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif ) I've decided that now's the time to get my S3 (210) chipped.

I don't want to spend stupid amounts, but I don't want to scrimp either.

As I've seen discussed time-and-time again there are lots of aftermarket chips, but I want one that's going to give me more bhp and a decent amuont of torque all the way through the rev range /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Question is, which ones are recommended and which ones are ones I should stear-clear of?

Any help would be much appreciated, then I'll let you know how I get on at the 'rematch' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cheers

Alex.

I suggest you the MTM chip, just one word, EXCELLENT ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OK I'm trying to compare all the improvements like-for-like and it would seem that...:

- mtm has less bhp but more torque
- amd has the same bhp but slightly more torque than the apr (hope I've got that the right way round - too many acronyms /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Which is better? More torque or more bhp?

And more importantly, are there any discounts available through a-s.net? Eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Alex.

[ QUOTE ]
Alex Stanley said:
OK I'm trying to compare all the improvements like-for-like and it would seem that...:

- mtm has less bhp but more torque
- amd has the same bhp but slightly more torque than the apr (hope I've got that the right way round - too many acronyms /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Which is better? More torque or more bhp?

And more importantly, are there any discounts available through a-s.net? Eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Alex.

[/ QUOTE ]

The way to look at it is torque is acceleration and BHP is top speed... basically, top speed is not very fun as when can u use it! never (not in the UK anyway)...

Torque is definately the one to look at! its the one you feel!

Rich B

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
Torque is definately the one to look at!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah - what he said...

Also, though, you want to have a look at the spread of torque. The 1.8T engine gives you maximum torque all the way from 1950 rpm to (IIRC) 4750 or so. So the torque curve looks like Table Mountain. Any chip ought to be able to reproduce that wide spread of useable torque, at higher levels. I believe some tuners go for peak power and torque figures, so they sound impressive, but if the peak isn't spread over a decent rev-range, you could end up with a less-driveable engine... I know, it's all rather /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
PreacherCain said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
Torque is definately the one to look at!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah - what he said...

Also, though, you want to have a look at the spread of torque. The 1.8T engine gives you maximum torque all the way from 1950 rpm to (IIRC) 4750 or so. So the torque curve looks like Table Mountain. Any chip ought to be able to reproduce that wide spread of useable torque, at higher levels. I believe some tuners go for peak power and torque figures, so they sound impressive, but if the peak isn't spread over a decent rev-range, you could end up with a less-driveable engine... I know, it's all rather /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true..

I have the AmD remap, and i am very pleased with it. Made an enormous difference. I wouldnt say if it is better/worse than others cos i dont know! never tried any!

Rich B

It's really interesting to read everyone's comments - I now know the difference between bhp and torque /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

At the moment I'm leaning towards the AMD solution, maybe with a new Dump Valve at the same time just to be on the safe side /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Why? Well it's the "middle ground" between mtm and apr and it's they're also a lot closer to me than the other ones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (I know you can use a reseller or post the ECU to them, but I just wouldn't feel as safe...)

Alex.

[ QUOTE ]
paul_b said:
Got the AmD remap like Rich on my A3 T Sport, also got the Milltek cat back exhaust and its putting out a healthy 200bhp and 209 lb/ft. Very pleased with it.
Smooth and progressive delivery, but you know you've got a turbo now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure do! turbo sounds amazing! dont need a dump valve, just boot it and people look cos they hear the turbo!

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:Sure do! turbo sounds amazing! dont need a dump valve, just boot it and people look cos they hear the turbo!

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh... This is certainly true - that little K03 turbo kicks up a bit of a scream when provoked... Having said which, when I first tried the "service station exit 0-100 test", the turbo was pretty much drowned out by me... We're talking a clutch-melting 4k rpm standing start, pedal to the metal. My personal soundtrack went something like: "wooaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGH!". See if you can spot the place the turbo kicked in... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I did spend the next 20 miles grinning like a **** and hunting for victims, though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

After driving the car stock for 18 months, it took a bit of getting used to - and still scares me occasionally, because just when you think the torque is going to level out, it gets stronger, and stronger, and stronger... TBH, if I get an SPS thingy, and it will probably be the basic stock/tuned switch, I'll leave it in stock for daily use - I mean, living in London and pottering to Sainsbury's, the standard program is quite enough. But on the open road.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Actually, who am I kidding? Stock program's clearly for dealer visits ONLY...

Yeah, I'm surprised more of you UK folks don't bring Oettinger up more often in these discussions. While I haven't driven an Oettinger program YET, I've seen the graphs, and spoken with their customer service folks, and everything seems quite professional. They ARE a bit expensive, but from the graphs I've seen, they produce one of the smoothest, most driveable programs around.

Anyone want to give me 1100 Euros, I'll go test them out this week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif