S3 rear spring

aa120n

Reaction score
Hi all,
My beloved 2002 S3 failed it's MOT yesterday with a broken rear spring, but after calling round today trying to find a pair, no one lists one for the s3, but they do for the 1.8T Quattro.
Does anyone know if the parts are the same? Ive been searching for hours and can't seem to find anything to help

Not yet, because i can't think they're very cheap from dealers, but if i have to then i will.

I have some spare rear springs but they are the factory option 10mm lowering springs that came with the RSTT wheels so they might not be any good for you unless you want to replace all 4 with the 10mm springs!

Do you have all 4 of the springs? are they a definate match? and how much would you be looking for?
thanks

I know it dosn't help you much but when i got the rear springs for my TQS the guy said they are the same part as the TT... to my knowledge all 3 cars are the same at the rear TQS A3 , TT Quattro and the S3... s long as you get a pair you should be fine mine were £36 each from GSF

Mine failed the MOT for the exact same reason. If you can find a uniparts garage they can get them. They're about 57 quid if I remember correctly. My independent mechanic had real trouble sourcing one too.

They're not the same as the TT/TQS, they're slightly shorter.

thanks for the help people, I called GSF today and the bloke said "yeah i've got some, but if i was you i wouldn't use them"! He then went on to explain that the ones motor factors supply as replacements for the quattro are all really poor (obviously not including your big name lowering springs) and they snap after about 6 months. I thanked him for his honesty and went to the dealers, £66 each but at least i know they're good.

Hopes this helps anyone else that comes across this problem :icon_thumright:

For 66 quid I'll get a new one from the dealers mate, it's less than a 5 minute drive from my house :)

Thanks though dude

As you should be replacing springs as pairs mate that works out as £132 for the two rear springs, why not just get a set of Eibach lowering springs of DPM as they are only £145 for the full set of four? Seems like a no brainer to me.

As you should be replacing springs as pairs mate that works out as £132 for the two rear springs, why not just get a set of Eibach lowering springs of DPM as they are only £145 for the full set of four? Seems like a no brainer to me.

Yes am i am replacing the pair, i was saying the unit price so it could be compared to the £36 from GSF. As i need to get them and fit before monday, thats a no brainer to me. Waiting on postage, then finding time to fit them, missing the free re-test cutoff, doesn't work out very cheap then.

Yes am i am replacing the pair, i was saying the unit price so it could be compared to the £36 from GSF. As i need to get them and fit before monday, thats a no brainer to me. Waiting on postage, then finding time to fit them, missing the free re-test cutoff, doesn't work out very cheap then.

Also a rear spring takes 30 ins to fit, a front takes 1.5 hours...

So yeah, works out better on the money for parts, but labour kicks you were it hurts. Looked into the same options when mine failed MOT on a cracked rear spring.

Where have you been the last few days haha? I started a thread about it when I found out myself.

Apparently the later production of s3s came with 10mm lowering springs if you ordered the rstt wheel upgrade.

sorry doood, bin at my annual conf first half of last week ;)