Intercooler bits and bobs arrived :)

Welly

335D Driver :-)
Reaction score
Yay.... :)

I got all my stuff from Forge yesterday so I am all ready to attack my intercooler fitting this weekend!!

It's about time, I've had the cooler sitting about since December!

intercooler.jpg

Looking good mate :) if you dont mind me asking how much is that kit? Are you gonna do it all yourself ?.

Gary

It's not a kit, I've assembled it all myself... Well, I've bought it all myself, based on s3_kev's recommendations from this post

Intercooler was a bargain £90 (ebay). All of that pipework came from Forge, and retails from Forge at £210. I managed to get my mate who works there to price it and got all the pipework for £160 (price matched off of ebay).

You can get all those pipes for that money if you shop around...

Yeah, going to do it with a couple of mates on the weekend...

ah nice one :) anychance of a pictoral walkthrough as you do it ? ive seen a few but are quite vague and look daunting... Something id like to do myself. Would you recomend the full ebay kits.. (£700 ish) ?

Did you get a modified crash bar or are you going to modify your own crash bar?

ah nice one :) anychance of a pictoral walkthrough as you do it ? ive seen a few but are quite vague and look daunting... Something id like to do myself. Would you recomend the full ebay kits.. (£700 ish) ?

Those are the Forge kits. They are excellent. Simply. However, that is reflected in the price. It's designed (as far as I know) to be a plug and play kit. Iit bolts on and away you go.

Points to note: The cooler is a lot smaller than my one (not that that makes much odds). It comes with a modified crash bar ready to bolt on, saves you having to DIY.

I didn't go for it knowing I could do it all in for less than £300, meaning I save the price of a holiday for me and the missus later on in the year. I get an FMIC. She gets a holiday. That way I don't get moaned at about fitting the thing either. Everybody is happy. :)

Welly, I'm guessing you dont care about loosing the fogs?

Na, fogs are going toodles.... I want nice big shiny pipes.... Less of the chav comments! lol :)

Nice welly, you get my pm?

Yes mate, I just TOTALLY forgot - this retardation thing isn't going my way. They're in good nick as far as I know. Will PM you a link to photos once they're off and you can decide. How does that sound?

Did you get a modified crash bar or are you going to modify your own crash bar?

Modify my own mate. Air saw + someone brave to hold it = big hole for intercooler + job done. Simple maths :)

looks like you have everything needed, just take care triming the bumper and the old fog trims, if you do a good job on the bumper then you can always put it back to standard after as there will be no evidence of triming once new fog light trims are fitted

All for under 300 ! shamoan... Good Drills !

I shall start "bit" hunting :) any usefull links to sites for the pipes etc ? Or most of it of Flea-Bay ?

Gary

cant wait hear how you get on.fitting isn't a problem but getting the ****** bumper back on is a night mare.id take a real good look and tuffty thread first as its very helpful.what size cooler is it.mine was a 550mm 225mm 64mm with 57mm inlets.it cost me around 260 all in.id also use jubilee clamps, thats what comes with the forge and they are loads cheaper than the other 1s.i

...also use jubilee clamps, thats what comes with the forge and they are loads cheaper than the other 1s.i

Make sure they are the hi-torque ones though... normal jubilee clips are not man enough for the job and are typically not stainless steel...

If you make a clip 'click' when you tighten them then bin it... it WILL leak from that point....

<tuffty/>

well said tuffty.the standard clamps are rubbish.if your coolers bigger than mine then good luck.the size i used just fitted to the top of the cross member with some flat plates.i still needed to take out the bottom and back side of the cross member.id also do a pressure test before fitting the bumper cuz once its on you will not and to take it off.

bumper goes on fairly easy on this setup as the pipe work etc is run in a different way, its tight getting the screws in on the edge of the bumper afterwards but thats all, probably an easier fit then the ah fab and forge kit heard the bumper fixing at the bottom has to be re-drilled, but hey fitting of the bumper is not important its the fmic that is :)