10mm lowering springs out of the factory with S3s with the 18" wheel upgrade???

Westy

Reaction score
I've seen an advert for standard S3 suspension but the seller says that the springs lower the car 10mm more than the normal S3 springs because it was a factory upgrade with the 18" wheels. Does anyone know if this is true because I've not heard this before?

I've heard that before also that most imports have it too? I'm sure I read it on here (would check if the search was working) might be a load of rubish though,

Cheers matt

Well I'm probably going to buy the stuff anyway because I need a rear shock only but the seller wants to get rid of all of it. If the springs do apply a 10mm drop I'll be sticking them on too :)

Ive heard talk of GMBH suspension option being lower than standard

GMBH is the German equivalent to the English Ltd company. not sure what it has to do with suspension though

Cheers guys doesn't clear it up 100% though. Anyway I've cut a deal with the seller and I'm picking the stuff up this week.

Hoggy, I should be able to sort you out a rear shock for a small fee in a week or two if you're interested.

Yeah that would be great mate pm me when you know what you want for it

Cheers Matt

i think this is when they updated the tt and gave it lowered suspension, the grey headlights and 18' alloys as standard. i believe they put this onto the s3 also around the same time. also i have just changed up from my standard sus, so if anyone needs any spares you are more than welcome!

Shame the search function isn't working, IIRC, S3's specc'd in Europe(exc. UK) had the option of sport suspension, which was basically GmbH Springs which lowered the car by an additional 10mm. Later facelift S3's with optional 18" RSTT alloys came with this setup, when you specc'd the 18" rims. Not 100% sure.

I'm picking all the shocks and springs up tomorrow so I'll have to check with my shock and springs this weekend to see if there's much of a difference.

I dont suppose anyone has a decent suspension change guide, especially a rear one?

I dont suppose anyone has a decent suspension change guide, especially a rear one?

If you can manage the fronts without a guide, the rears will take 10 minutes each side when you have a look! Just remember to undo the height level sensor on the passenger side of the car, it's bolted onto the track arms, or it will get damaged.

My car has this option, I believe it is 10mm lower, although you'd be hard pressed to notice it...

The options decoder is a bit crap really as you get loads of weird things and there was no mention or things like my arm rest or Bose upgrades!

Just stuck all my codes through the decoder and got the following:

EOA = No Special Edition
4UF = Drivers and front passenger air bag with front passenger air bag deactivation
6XD = Exterior mirrors: electrically adjustable/heated
5SJ = Left exterior mirror: convex
6TS = Right exterior mirror: aspherical, large viewing field
1KF = Disc brakes, rear
S1L = Special price for top coat, metallic
1LT = Disc brakes, front
1AT = Electronic stabilization program (ESP)
3FA = Without roof insert (standard roof)
1JF = Rear sports shock absorption
G21 = Front shock absorption
5TL = Decorative inserts in piano lacquer
7X0 = Without park distance control
4R1 = Power windows
F0A = No special purpose vehicle, standard equipment
0L2 = Electric throttle actuation
8GL = Alternator 120 A
0G4 = Cable gearshift
0YP = Weight range 14 installation control only, no requirement forecast
L21 = Suspension range 21 installation control only, no requirement forecast
T6B = 4-cylinder gasoline engine 1.8 L unit 06A.G
3NC = Rear seat bench/backrest, split folding
8JJ = Headlight with gas discharge lamp for driving on the left
U1B = Instrument insert with mph speedometer, clock, tachometer and trip odometer
X2B = National sales program Great Britain
1N4 = Power steering
2PL = Leather trimmed sports steering wheel for air bag system with "S" badge
8Q2 = Automatic headlight-range adjustment static
9Q2 = Multi-function display/on-board computerwith check control
8Z5 = Not hot country
MS6 = 4-cyl. turbo gasoline eng. 1.8 L/165 kW multi-point injection, EU 3 base engine is T6B
7Q0 = Without navigation device
C4F = Alloy wheels 7.5J x 17
4X3 = Side air bag front with curtain air bag
6R2 = Leather gearshift boot
3L7 = Electric height and backrest adjustment for both front seats
4K4 = Radio remote controlled central locking
1SA = Without additional engine guard
0GE = Emission standard EU3
Q1E = RECARO sports seats, front
QG1 = Service interval prolongation
4GP = Windshield in heat-insulating glass withsunshield and viewing window for vehicleidentification number

Just picked up the shocks and springs. Inheritted the sellers old tie bars too, lucky me!

Anyway I'll be changing over the leaky shock this weekend then I'll have afew bits and pieces to sell if anyone is in need of anything.

Just out of interest, if I change all 4 shocks and springs will I need to get a 4 wheel alignment done even though its only going to be 10mm lower?

Last edited: