Dual system??

Aurom

Reaction score
HI all

Have any of you had any experience with the "dual system" tuning device that is being distributed
through DMS automotive??

It seems like a good idea on paper, not unlike the AMD one click solution, which has not been released for the 1.8T engine.

any help would be appreciated

Not unlike ? It is the same unit, Milford Micros were the developer DMS are their distributor. The solution is just a different way of getting the ECU reprogrammed. I guess the real question is how good are DMS Automotives maps. It appears from another forum that they haven't been able to work out the encryption on the new ECUs so their level of expertise is questionable. That said AMD don't seem to have been able to work out that encryption either.

I think I read somewhere that Geoff Everett was at milford microsystems. Is this the same Geoff who was at AMD?

[ QUOTE ]
Aurom said:
I think I read somewhere that Geoff Everett was at milford microsystems. Is this the same Geoff who was at AMD?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

But has anyone tried it?
Also lookin at their website whats the 1.8T cable, late BDW and Early BDW about?

its the throttle system I think .. cable is cable .. BDW I guess should be DBW .. drive by wire.. ( but I'm probably wrong). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ah yes DBW yes that would mean drive by wire DUH!!!!
How thick am i!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Gibbsy said:
How thick am i!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing thats a rhetorical question .. :p

I have a dual system on my A3 1.9 TDI Quattro, it's great, I change back to standard map everytime I have the care serviced or looked at, still under warrenty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have heard that Geoff knows what he is doing when it comes to tuning ECUs. Will he ahd written the code for the dual system?

I got offered it for my 2002 S3 at Star Performance (I could also have had APR Serial Port or an actual rechip). I liked the idea that it removes and replaces the program in the ECU (very difficult to detect then) and also the fact that it is Geoff Everitt who developed the progs. The price seem fine at £500+VAT too. I can't get it just now as spending money on a new kitchen and bathroom but hopefully early in the new year I'll get it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Robthehungrymonkey said:
So, does anyone have any direct comparison to a standard remap?
advantages? Disadvantages?
Is it worth me contemplating instead of an AMD or MTM remap?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is definitely worth contemplating /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The only problem (as I see it) is that I've got no rolling road data to see the facts and figures in black and white, which you would get from AmD. All I can say is that it is definitely a big improvement on standard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Star have a rolling road, but it would have meant a long round trip. I did mine via the post, Star sent a blank programmer, I downloaded my original ecu map, then posted it to Star, they program a modified map based on the original and post it back to you.

Star/Jim have always been good to me, when I had a problem post re-map, but not connected to it, Jim rang many times to check on how things were and see what he could do, when I have had cause to complain to other car tuners the usually reaction is to turn on their heals and run. I am really impressed with them, so much so, I’m waiting for them to finalise there Stage 3 kit for TDI’s (210Bbhp so far) and when they have I’ll be up there like a shot to get it done.

Is there anything in the code that stops you taking your one click box and plugging it into someone elses car ?

If its anything like the one click system (Which it is I guess) then you can't plug it into any car. They "pair" it up with your car to stop you from remapping other cars.

Rich.

How do you know that as the one click from AMD was never released.

[ QUOTE ]
garethj said:
How do you know that as the one click from AMD was never released.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it has been released. Just not for the S3!

I believe it is available for BMW's and VW's at the moment.

I was also part of the original group buy on the tt-forum for one when someone asked the same question. Wak told us that it is locked to the car.

Rich.

[ QUOTE ]
garethj said:
Is there anything in the code that stops you taking your one click box and plugging it into someone elses car ?

[/ QUOTE ]

The dual system is matched to your original ecu ID, it won't work on any other car.