Badger5Sky Insurance
    4th Gear

Status

Question Clutch & Flywheel to hold more torque on S3

Has anyone here used better clutch and flywheel than the standard one, as I know mine is on the way out, A friend has just fitted a G60 flywheel & VR6 Clutch on a 1.8T, and he seemed pleased with his setup, So I was wondering if the same setup was possible on my S3!

I know the S3 runs a dual mass flywheel and the clutch is a bit more special, I don't mind to convert it to single, as long as it performs better, smoother and also has to feel softer than what I have on at the moment.

my car has about 312lb/ft of torque since the modes have taken place, and this has affected the clutch even further, also recent trip down to Santa Pod was not very helpful either.

Your recommendations are appreciated. thanks
    S3-8L REVO stage 2, Milltek, 3" DP & custom 3" decat, RS2 spark plugs, 4 bar FPR, Green-Cotton uprated upper/lower boost hose & TIP, Front Zimmerman & Ferrodo. LCR spliter. boost gauge, smoothed AB. Aero blades, H&R 5mm spacers. Best time 14.03sec, 0-62 in 5.7sec. 207gs @ 25psi , polished inlet mani. VAGCOM 805.1

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Single mass flywheels tend make the gear box noisy on idle, I was recommended a Sachs paddle clutch plate (sprung type with a single mass FW) from MTM and the OEM cover plate by a guy who drag strips his 425bhp TT... he used his for over 2 years without a problem... Its something I am considering for my next clutch swap when mine is next due...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Whats going on???

Status

My Social Networking

Visit s3 Hoggy's Instagram Channel
    I'd also like to know what people think of the sachs clutch i will be replacing mine next weekend, the bloody thing slipped twice today and the likely cause is oil contamination as my vvt gasket is leaking. Ive been quoted 750 for the standard clutch or 1050 for sachs, does anyone know how the sachs feels? is it harsh? Hopefully my flywheel will be ok but knowing my luck it will probably be no good!

Any help would be Great

Cheers Matt
    Last edited by s3 Hoggy; 1st February 2010 at 17:51.
    2002 S3 REVO
    Milltek, Sachs Organic clutch, 007p, Genuine RSTT's, BBS RS2's
    Koni FSD & H&R springs, Neuspeed 22mm rear ARB, KW tie arms
    LCR Brembo's with DS2500's & Paul's 300mm Rear disc kit,
    Michelin Pilot Sport 3's,Badger5 V2.2 Jetex filter & heatshield

RIP S3dave

Status
    vr6 setup is small than oe S3 setup peeps 228mm vs 240mm
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

ZoomZoom

Status
    Im currently running a sachs clutch and fidanza flywheel, the last owner had the work done swatchuk on here, best asking him as I think he ordered the parts from America and were cheaper and he can give you more info
    My Much Missed :Imola Yellow S3 - Revo stage 2, SPS3, RS6 reps, Pirelli P Zero Rosso, Cupra R splitter, Brembo's, 323mm EBC Turbo Grooved Discs, Ferrodo DS2500 Pads, Forge DV, Forge FMIC, Fidanza Aluminium Flywheel, Sachs Clutch, Green Cotton Dynatwist induction kit, 3" Downpipe, sports cat, Milltek cat back, Bilstein B8's, KW rear adjustable tie bars Whiteline Adjustable ARB's, Eibach Springs, Powerflex Bushes, Bose Concert System

Now : Cupra R 225

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    I'm going to order a flywheel from TTV ( single mass ) for 220 fro my S3

The OEM clutch can be used or you can run the uprated MTM kit on it as well
    RIP S3dave/David Marshall stickers now available

FOR SALE
    None resonated Milltek exhaust,
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

Maz
    Moon is made of green cheese

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3 Hoggy View Post
    I'd also like to know what people think of the sachs clutch i will be replacing mine next weekend, the bloody thing slipped twice today and the likely cause is oil contamination as my vvt gasket is leaking. Ive been quoted 750 for the standard clutch or 1050 for sachs, does anyone know how the sachs feels? is it harsh? Hopefully my flywheel will be ok but knowing my luck it will probably be no good!

Any help would be Great

Cheers Matt
    I have a Sachs clutch kit and OEM Dual Mass Flywheel on mine which I had fitted in April last year.

Harsh is not a word I would use to desribe it at all, gear changes are smoother, made the car feel like new and pulls much better.

Costly but worth it if you plan to keep the car for a while.

Mineral Grey [
    AMK
    ]

Whats going on???

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Maz View Post
    I have a Sachs clutch kit and OEM Dual Mass Flywheel on mine which I had fitted in April last year.

Harsh is not a word I would use to desribe it at all, gear changes are smoother, made the car feel like new and pulls much better.

Costly but worth it if you plan to keep the car for a while.
    Thanks alot mate thats exactly what I was hoping to hear! I'll go for it then!

Cheers Matt
    2002 S3 REVO

4th Gear

Status
    Thanks alot mate thats exactly what I was hoping to hear! I'll go for it then!

Cheers Matt
    So how do I buy this Sachs clutch? any special dealer? what was the price? can I use the flywheel I have got on now! I can hear a clunk when changing it from first to second, but I am hopping its not an issue. I have a second hand flywheel from an A3 180 quattro in better nick can I use this if mine was shot? and lastly what price did you guys pay for the labour? as it is a lengthy job of around 7hours...
    Last edited by S3KO4; 4th February 2010 at 15:05.
    S3-8L REVO stage 2, Milltek, 3" DP & custom 3" decat, RS2 spark plugs, 4 bar FPR, Green-Cotton uprated upper/lower boost hose & TIP, Front Zimmerman & Ferrodo. LCR spliter. boost gauge, smoothed AB. Aero blades, H&R 5mm spacers. Best time 14.03sec, 0-62 in 5.7sec. 207gs @ 25psi , polished inlet mani. VAGCOM 805.1

Maz

Status
    Speak to Ed at APS http://www.autops.co.uk/.

Thats where I had mine supplied and fitted.

Mineral Grey [
    AMK
    ]

Whats going on???

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Maz View Post
    Speak to Ed at APS http://www.autops.co.uk/.

Thats where I had mine supplied and fitted.
    That's where I'm having mine fitted too, quality set up they have there isn't it.

Cheers matt
    2002 S3 REVO

Maz

Status
    That's where I'm having mine fitted too, quality set up they have there isn't it.

Cheers matt
    Sure is mate, you know your car is in safe, capable hands when you book it in there.

I've had all my mods carried out there and am likely to return when I've saved enough pennies for some Brembos.

Mineral Grey [
    AMK
    ]

Black '03 S3

Status
    we have a guy here in Athens that custom makes clutch's, a friend of mine had a 500hp S3 (Precision Turbo) and was using one made from him, it was a Sachs racing pressure plate with a custom made 6 disc pad clutch with OEM flywheel. i use to drive that car and it use to be very drivable. i think i will be going with that kit because mine has also started slipping when i quick shift at high rpm's..

4th Gear

Status
    Thats good news, but found out they sell sachs for s3 at euro car parts, not sure if they always stock them though