Poor Radio Reception

audi lover

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently bought a 52 plate 1.8 A3 and have really poor radio reception.
The reception is really poor on FM, and non-existant on AM.
When I do have a signal on FM it can go again if I drive just a foot!
My car is the post-facelift model (96-03) with traditional 'bee-sting' aerial.
I've read that some Audi radio systems use a 'signal booster', but that these are more related to the post 2003 models when the bee-sting aerial was replaced by a short stub type aerial.

I'd be really grateful if anyone could advise me how to solve this - does it sound like I've just got a dodgy bee-sting aerial, or something more? Has anyone else had this problem and solved it?

Many thanks

is it a factory stereo? Because some aftermarket ones will require a signal amplifier. Only sayin this, because this is what I required on my old golf.

Do you know whether it has had an aftermarket stereo in it in the past? i say this because it may simply be that the stereo cable is not connected properly.

silly question here but is your rear screen heater on ?
mine interferes with the radio

I bought my S3 today and had the same problem, although FM was fine, just couldn't get anything on AM. Rear screen heater not on here either??

Well I have an aftermarket stereo WITH the booster and radio reception is pretty sub par tbh.

cheers to everyone for replying

I can't be sure if there was an aftermarket stereo so a loose connectin could be the problem. I haven't had the heater on - strange one that..good old electonics!

Think I'll check the connections and go from there - If that doesn't work will try installing my old stereo including the signal amplifier cable

Although most radio is rubbish, it's suprising how boringdriving is without it - getting bored of the songs on my ipod!

Cheers

Mines rubbish too, I have the standard HU in the car, but have an aftermarket aerial, which was fitted to the car when I got it, sometimes its perfect, at other times, nothing!!!

Can anyone advise if an aerial booster can be fitted to the standard, or is this only applicable on aftermarket HU's??